category and class (beaver)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
LE8
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:02 am

category and class (beaver)

Post by LE8 »

What other aircraft are grouped in the same category and class as the dehavilland beaver?
Trying to find it in the TC site.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: category and class (beaver)

Post by xchox »

Noorduyn Norseman and I suppose the AN-2... but the AN-2 is closer to an Otter IMO.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
groncher
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: category and class (beaver)

Post by groncher »

If you are referring to certification category, it is classified as Normal. This includes a vast amount of aircraft...

523.3 Aeroplane Categories

(a) The normal category is limited to aeroplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of nine or less, a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 5700 kg (12,566 lbs.) or less, and intended for non-aerobatic operation.

I would agree that a Norseman is in the same class though.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Docbrad
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:10 pm

Re: category and class (beaver)

Post by Docbrad »

Category: Airplane
Class: Single engine land/sea
Type: Beaver

Does that help?
---------- ADS -----------
 
LE8
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:02 am

Re: category and class (beaver)

Post by LE8 »

If I want to get up to a certain amount of time to qualify for a chief pilot position for a future position the time at the absolute minimum is 250 hours on type . I have an opportunity to fly the crap on a cessna 172 amphibian at a price that is practically free because the owner wants his bird to fly , would logging a couple of hundred hours on the cessna count on a future chief pilot position flying a beaver ?
Curious on what you guys think ?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:11 am
Location: On top

Re: category and class (beaver)

Post by Lost Lake »

Hmmm. I think there's more to this post than you're saying. Sounds like maybe some desperate operator is dangling a carrot in your face. Or you want to buy or start an operation.
---------- ADS -----------
 
What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: category and class (beaver)

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

There is more to being a competent chief pilot than having the minimum hours. One normally gains the competencies required of a chief pilot by flying the line in the same type of commercial operation first.
---------- ADS -----------
 
LE8
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:02 am

Re: category and class (beaver)

Post by LE8 »

Agree 100%, I am guessing someone needs to fly the line for at least 500 hours on the type being operated to feel comfortable taking over the chief pilot position. My question is putting time in a cessna 172 on floats is better than nothing to regain confidence flying floats , it's not a beaver but it's something.



quote="Big Pistons Forever"]There is more to being a competent chief pilot than having the minimum hours. One normally gains the competencies required of a chief pilot by flying the line in the same type of commercial operation first.[/quote]
---------- ADS -----------
 
flyinhigh
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3147
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:42 pm
Location: my couch

Re: category and class (beaver)

Post by flyinhigh »

LE8 wrote:If I want to get up to a certain amount of time to qualify for a chief pilot position for a future position the time at the absolute minimum is 250 hours on type . I have an opportunity to fly the crap on a cessna 172 amphibian at a price that is practically free because the owner wants his bird to fly , would logging a couple of hundred hours on the cessna count on a future chief pilot position flying a beaver ?
Curious on what you guys think ?
I really hope, for your benefit, that you would be flying this off water and not a runway. Just and FYI, there is ALOT more to being a chief than flying an airplane
---------- ADS -----------
 
LE8
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:02 am

Re: category and class (beaver)

Post by LE8 »

Again strictly flying on the water for sure and I agree being the chief I think is more than flying , it's running the show and being responsible and knowing all the ins and outs .
flyinhigh wrote:
LE8 wrote:If I want to get up to a certain amount of time to qualify for a chief pilot position for a future position the time at the absolute minimum is 250 hours on type . I have an opportunity to fly the crap on a cessna 172 amphibian at a price that is practically free because the owner wants his bird to fly , would logging a couple of hundred hours on the cessna count on a future chief pilot position flying a beaver ?
Curious on what you guys think ?
I really hope, for your benefit, that you would be flying this off water and not a runway. Just and FYI, there is ALOT more to being a chief than flying an airplane
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”