Barkley-Grow

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Barkley-Grow

Post by Rudder Bug »

frozen solid wrote:That is a very unusual structure inside the wing... I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before. Is it some kind of Barnes-Wallace-inspired geodetic thing?
Amazing concept indeed!

RB
---------- ADS -----------

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Why does it look to me like the central vertical stab is missing on the one in the museum!?

Canuck Plumber
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canuck Plumber »

Rowdy wrote:Why does it look to me like the central vertical stab is missing on the one in the museum!?
It's only on the aircraft when it's on floats.

Cheers.

Television is like the invention of indoor plumbing. It didn't change people's habits. It just kept them inside the house.
dogsbodymk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dogsbodymk1 »

Here's one on skis.

Chris

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
Canuck Plumber
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canuck Plumber »

Great picture. Are you certain thats a Barkley Grow?

Cheers.

Television is like the invention of indoor plumbing. It didn't change people's habits. It just kept them inside the house.
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

dogsbodymk1 wrote:Here's one on skis.

Chris
That is a Lockheed 10A Electra, CF-BAF serial # 1064 registered to Canadian Airways in 1936. It went on to TCA in 1937. It eventually went to the USA but came back to Canada as CF-HED. It was written off after a precautionary landing in poor weather on Anticosti Island in October 1967.

AP

dogsbodymk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dogsbodymk1 »

Sorry about that, gentlemen. You are right. I've had this in my files for years now and have forgotten to rename it. When I first found it in a long-gone forum, I had just gotten a computer and was just learning the ways of the Internet. When first seen, it was labelled as a Barkley-Grow but was afterwards identified as a Lockheed.

Please forgive.

Chris

Last edited by dogsbodymk1 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

dogsbodymk1 wrote:Sorry about hat, gentlemen. You are right. I've had this in my files for years now and have forgotten to rename it. When I first found it in a long-gone forum, I had just gotten a computer and was just learning the ways of the Internet. When first seen, it was labelled as a Barkley-Grow but was afterwards identified as a Lockheed.

Please forgive.

Hey no problem, easy assumption to make. I just looked at a warbirds forum website: www.warbirdsforum.com.
It takes a bit of digging but there is a history of every Barkley Grow along with a few pics. There is the story about Jimmy Wade in CF-BMV going down off the coast of Greenland in 1942. The photo attached is of a Lockheed 10A. Probably CF-BAF with a different antenae setup.

AP

Chris

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Canuck Plumber wrote:
Rowdy wrote:Why does it look to me like the central vertical stab is missing on the one in the museum!?
It's only on the aircraft when it's on floats.

Cheers.
Makes perfect sense now thank! I'd only ever seen the photos whilst on floats!

Dibbley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dibbley »

I finally took some time to upload some pics I took of BTX back in around 1990. It had been salvaged by Coulson Industries from a Coastal BC logging site, from what I've been told. They were heli-logging and found the wreck and decided to pull her out of the woods. The shots are from the original Coulson Hangar at the defunct Port Alberni Airport.

So which story is true? Did it crash in Alberta or over here on the BC Coast? I knew it was sent to the museum in Alberta, when the above mentioned airport was closed. Somebody please put the story straight.

Attachments
scan0003.jpg
scan0003.jpg (601.11 KiB) Viewed 16000 times
scan0002.jpg
scan0002.jpg (521.76 KiB) Viewed 16000 times
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (561.19 KiB) Viewed 16000 times
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Dibbley wrote:I finally took some time to upload some pics I took of BTX back in around 1990. It had been salvaged by Coulson Industries from a Coastal BC logging site, from what I've been told. They were heli-logging and found the wreck and decided to pull her out of the woods. The shots are from the original Coulson Hangar at the defunct Port Alberni Airport.

So which story is true? Did it crash in Alberta or over here on the BC Coast? I knew it was sent to the museum in Alberta, when the above mentioned airport was closed. Somebody please put the story straight.
BTX definitely crashed at Porcupine/Kakwa Lk BC nw of Grande Cache AB. The first photo I posted shows the wreck with the letters BTX on the right side of the fuselage. I took the photo on Sept 4, 1981 while flying my aircraft from Prince George east to Red Deer. Went north of track for awhile. How BTX got to Port Alberni I do not know. In any case it was at Calgary later on. I took the photo of it behind the museum. Hope this helps.

AP

Dibbley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dibbley »

"Here is a photo of Canadian Pacific Airlines Barkley-Grow CF-BTX that had some problems at Kawka/Porcupine Lake near Cache Creek in 1945. I took the photo in Sept 1981"

Coulson Industries was doing a lot of heli-logging off of their barge back in those years and my recollection of the story was they found BTX up on the mid-coast of BC. I checked a few of my reference books and it would seem that BTX went down in Alberta. Maybe someone else with Coulson connections from these years can fill in the details.

Canuck Plumber
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canuck Plumber »

I think the confusion of where it went down is due to the close proximity to the Alberta/B.C. border. The plot thickens.

It's remarkable that the aircraft has travelled a considerable distance even after it crashed.

Dibbley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dibbley »

By my read, the crash happened more near the Saskatchewan/Alberta border - that is what I ascertained when I googled 'Cache Creek - Alberta' yesterday afternoon. I knew it was heading to the museum in Alberta, when my pics were taken but how it got to Vancouver Island inbetween is anyone's guess.

Feel free to use my pics for you Facebook page. No credit required.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Dibbley wrote:By my read, the crash happened more near the Saskatchewan/Alberta border - that is what I ascertained when I googled 'Cache Creek - Alberta' yesterday afternoon. I knew it was heading to the museum in Alberta, when my pics were taken but how it got to Vancouver Island inbetween is anyone's guess.

Feel free to use my pics for you Facebook page. No credit required.
No. Porcupine Lake later re-named Kakwa Lake is in BC just west of the BC-Alberta border. It is about 40 miles NW of Grande Cache AB. Google it. Kakwa Lake is a fairly large running north-south and is now a BC provincial park.

AP

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

Oct 03, 2014

CF-BTX at Sheldon Lake, Yukon Territory in 1942.

Photo found on the web.
Unknown photographer.
No other details of photo found.

Canuck Plumber
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canuck Plumber »

I wonder if one of them is Carl Brooks. The pilot who died in the crash of 45.

Canuck Plumber
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canuck Plumber »

I bought an ad for the T8P-1 online. It arrived on Friday.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

That's pretty cool!

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »