Floatplane in high winds/heavy waves

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

SeanMountainous
Rank 1
Rank 1

Floatplane in high winds/heavy waves

Post by SeanMountainous »

Hi all,

As a somewhat novice floatplane pilot working in the North, just wondering what your guys' limits when it comes to wind and waves. My time is split fairly evenly between flying on the Ocean, and the rest mainly on lakes on the Canadian Shield. From my couple hundred hours on floats, I start to feel uncomfortable with anything more than gusting 20 kts, and 2-3 foot waves. For reference I'm flying 180s and 185s. At what point would some of you high-timed guys say things are no longer "safe"?

Thanks for your time.
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Floatplane in high winds/heavy waves

Post by Rowdy »

Sounds about right for the 180/185.. I won't take much more than that myself in the cessna. 3ft waves are pretty substantial in it.

182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 182-SS »

Depends on what type of floats you are running and how you are loaded too. If your running CAP 3000's then you can handle rougher water, EDO 2960's far less.
I'd say 2-3 foot is the max, it really beats the heck out of your machine and occupants, it also can really send you for a ride if you hit one wrong at speed. Water is the ever-changing runway, 2-3 foot one day does not mean the same 2-3 foot wave action another day. I once landed on Okanagan lake (known for some big swells) and did a half an hour taxi because there was only one "Bay" with "calm'ish" water near my destination.

I typically wont take off or land in more than 2' if I don't have to, that beats up the old girl enough.

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

SeanMountainous wrote:Hi all,

As a somewhat novice floatplane pilot working in the North, just wondering what your guys' limits when it comes to wind and waves. My time is split fairly evenly between flying on the Ocean, and the rest mainly on lakes on the Canadian Shield. From my couple hundred hours on floats, I start to feel uncomfortable with anything more than gusting 20 kts, and 2-3 foot waves. For reference I'm flying 180s and 185s. At what point would some of you high-timed guys say things are no longer "safe"?

Thanks for your time.
I used to fly into a long narrow little bay in the Canadian Shield with a 185. A couple of times I had to do my take-off run with the rudders down just to keep it straight and not run into the rocks. I'm thinking it was about 20 gusting to 25 knots or so hard to say. It was too much and done too many times would likely lead to ruin... :rolleyes:

Drinking lots of coffee lately, at a nice safe jungle desk, wishing I were flying......
SeanMountainous
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ok, thanks you guys for your thoughts. Much appreciated!

Sean

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

And, if you're getting pushed to go, a comment to the effect that "well, it' s your maintenance bill..." should do the trick. If it doesn't, then a polite "no" will. Remember, it's your a$$ in the seat if things go sideways...
Sounds like you've figured out your limits, though..

Stay safe!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

3 ft waves in a 180? And you have ocean flying as well. I don't know if I would even fly a twin otter in those conditions. But hey, I'm still alive and never hurt a plane. I'm pretty sure a 3 ft wave is going to eat your prop up pretty good, even in a beaver.

The worst I ever did was in a Beaver ONCE in winds pushing 40 or 50 kts. 2-3 ft waves. Hit the second wave, was scared, chopped the power until I realized I was airborne, power up, head her home. double scotch on landing

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

I think a lot of people overestimate wave height. Three foot high waves (hip high!) would break a 185 pretty quickly.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

Maybe he meant 3 feet from peak to trough.

Think ahead or fall behind!
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

3'?

That half my height.

I wouldn't do it in my 185.

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

I've flown a PZL Otter in 4 foot waves. Nasty even with the big bird. However, I was MT taking off and airborne on the second wave. One of the tourists (who didn't vomit while I was backing up to the dock) got the takeoff on video. I wish I could get a copy of that. Things I don't want to do twice. :rolleyes:

Drinking lots of coffee lately, at a nice safe jungle desk, wishing I were flying......
Waldo Peppar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Waldo Peppar »

My limit for my 185 on wip 3730s is 18-20" trough to crest....max 20 kts gusting
I find it hard enough turning out of wind at that wind speed.
Note: My private airplane..MY MAINTENANCE...A new engine mount and bushings installed =12000.00-13000.00

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

How does one measure wave height from the air, and how accurate do you think your measurement is?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
SeanMountainous
Rank 1
Rank 1

As some of you have already surmised, I probably am overestimating the wave height. What I've assumed was 2-3 feet probably was not. Can't say I've ever really scared myself in large waves and I tend towards being overly cautious, so you guys must be correct.

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

Cat Driver wrote:How does one measure wave height from the air, and how accurate do you think your measurement is?
Very True. I would never have landed at Sabourin Lake that day with the 4 foot waves had I known how big they were. Lucky for me (and the plane) that they were close together so I slowed down a lot before coming off the step and slamming into them. Backing into the dock was a challenge. Staying on the dock with those waves would have been very bad however so I took off for a better harbour :rolleyes:

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

White caps are a good indication of a potentially brutal arrival.

I like to "hit" them with a 30 degree angle. Things get much smoother. We're talking about waves here, not swell, which is a different story.

As Cat is pointing out above, the one who can measure the wave height from the air is not born yet.

And yes indeed, like 1000hp said, there might be times when you'll have to move the plane to a better harbour. Planes tangled all over the docks have been seen some bad mornings, in Labrador for instance. They all jumped on the docks over the night, no kidding.

Hence the moorings and the boats, even if you don't enjoy getting wet and nearly drown in a boat during a storm after a long day...BUT...this is bush flying! :D

RB

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SheriffPatGarrett »

Politics run aviation and in the old days, DeHav pulled Ottawa's strings(Had Saunders, a way better airplane, shut down...etc...)
So they thought they take Canadair down, at it was down at the heel at the time and steal the water bomber business.

Spain was up to buy water bombers, so Canadair and DeHav went head to head in a demo. What a joke...Canadair can and will scoop
in the open ocean in ten feet waves, while the poor twotter need to find sheltered water not to fall apart. Needless to say
Canadair got the business and Twotter water bombers are nowhere to be found these days.

So Pierre Trou D'eau had to get his ass in third world countries and pass around twots like they were hot cakes.(They all ended up
rotting in jungle strips, these bunnies cannot afford to put gas in busses, never mind airplanes...) All this paid by Canadian sucker tax payers...

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

Actually, I'm in Borneo and 3 of the Twotters flew over me today. (Or one 3 times). Susi Air operates a bunch of them.

zeppelin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zeppelin »

[youtube][/youtube] hey 1,000, boats in the water ready to sail,I'm just around the corner and the beer can not possibly get colder,come on around

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

Hey Zeppelin, this might just be the year :D I've got December off but am busy Scuba Diving around Victoria, but I've got February and April off as well. Which is the better month? :rolleyes:

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”