Is anyone hiring these days?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

racer-pilot-rob
Rank 1
Rank 1

Is anyone hiring these days?

Post by racer-pilot-rob »

I have noticed the large number of highly qualified pilots who are starving for either work or a better situation than what they are caught up in. Seems since AC hiring freeze, the whole country is ground to a halt. This only helps lower wages everywhere due to pilots who have to take anything.
The industry is trying to turn towards a lack of talent as people are distracted by financial problems and worry about their futures. This is wrong because there are extremely talented pilots (prob reading this) waiting for a chance. While even the military claims there is a pilot shortage and hires cheap foreign pilots instead. No other single job in the world has as many lives in their hands at any given moment. Maybe the public should know??

Is anyone truly hiring, or just advertising?
Is our future going to foreign workers who will work for minimum wages?
Should the public know?

I should add, I don't want this to turn into another hate forum. I only want to find real jobs that will improve everyones station in this employment situation we find ourselves in.
---------- ADS -----------

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Is anyone hiring these days?

Post by tbaylx »

5T hiring for all fleet types and a regular basis. Lots of 704 ops looking out in Alberta as well. If and when the new CARS duty ops regs come through there is going to be an awful lot more hiring going on.

Most jobs in the country in and out of aviation seem to be in Alberta at the moment, subject to change with no notice :)

parallel60
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by parallel60 »

Heard Sunwing is hiring 50. Or has....not sure...might be a couple more courses to go.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Troll?

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
niwre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by niwre »

Is anyone willing to move for a job these days? Granted that there are many aviators that will pickup and move to further their career in aviation however, some seem very unwilling to move. Also granted that family situation can also affect ones ability to uproot and move easily but you chose this career. Just because one is local does not mean the local operator will hire you anyways. There are plenty of opportunities out there sometimes they just happen to be outside your backyard.

What you need to know is, how to get what you need to know.

This is not a retreat. Its an advance to the rear.

There are only 10 people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
racer-pilot-rob
Rank 1
Rank 1

I can think of a few reasons why some do not want to move. Friend of mine got on with AC and was told that Hamilton would be his home base, He has moved and since worked everywhere but there because he is low man bidding. Been like that for 4 years.
I moved for a great job, the employer lost his ops certificate, nothing I could do about that, but it affected me, so I moved for another job, It went away during ground school (lost bid on contract), Now my father is very sick and its not mandatory, but helps to at least be around on occasion.
Some have moved so often and with each move, they get transferred again after they get settled in and figure out this new town.
I know a few that got in over their heads moving to Toronto or Vancouver and under estimated how much life would cost them outside of work. The list can go on.
I am willing to move myself, if the job is right, but those jobs keep moving as well.

I think it is great when an employer can work with you so that you can operate out of major (expensive) hubs, or far off wilderness and allow you to live in the place you actually want to live when not working. It can often make that salary go a lot further. It shows that the employers can help us have a better life, even in these economic times. Besides, who wants to live in Afghanistan or in the middle of an Ebola epidemic. Just do the work and go home :)

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Besides, who wants to live in Afghanistan or in the middle of an Ebola epidemic.
You ave a job offer in Dallas Texas?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
racer-pilot-rob
Rank 1
Rank 1

haha, no, but I heard about that poor guy down there. Don't think its the same level of outbreak in Dallas yet. One has been reported in western Canada too apparently. Not sure yet.

CropDuster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CropDuster »

Pilots have piss poor attitudes, and usually are mismatched with the operators outlook on life. There are LOTS of jobs for pilots, just very few with the right attitude. A pilot has to prove himself every single time he switches a job. Pilots think the magic CPL or ATPL exempts them from trust building with their employer and other employees.

Talented at flying, to dumb to take care of a customer.
Good Pilot but to stupid to clean an airplane.
Good Navigator but gets lots in the office.

IF jobs ever do go to foreign workers, it is only for one reason. Their attitude is right, they are willing to prove their worth.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

CropDuster wrote:Pilots have piss poor attitudes, and usually are mismatched with the operators outlook on life. There are LOTS of jobs for pilots, just very few with the right attitude. A pilot has to prove himself every single time he switches a job. Pilots think the magic CPL or ATPL exempts them from trust building with their employer and other employees.

IF jobs ever do go to foreign workers, it is only for one reason. Their attitude is right, they are willing to prove their worth.
You suck

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

CropDuster wrote:
Shall we point out the irony of all the mistakes in this part of your post?

confuzed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by confuzed »

racer-pilot-rob wrote:
Should the public know?

If you think that foreign pilots will come here to work for minimum wage you are GROSSLY uneducated about the situation. The average wages for pilots in Europe put our country to shame. When they come overseas to work in Canada seasonally, they are anything but working for minimum wage. They make generally MUCH higher salaries than their Canadian coworkers and receive a plethora of other perks as well.

:?

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
Big Bird Anonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Big Bird Anonymous »

CropDuster wrote: Good Navigator but gets lots in the office.

MMMM getting lots in the office, where is that job located??

Anti-antivaxxer
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Big Bird Anonymous wrote:
CropDuster wrote: Good Navigator but gets lots in the office.

MMMM getting lots in the office, where is that job located??
I get lots in the office. But not the way I want it and they don't even use KY when their giving it to me

Kardow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kardow »

We all know that spring and the beginning of summer is the best time to find a job.

However, is there any charter company (King Airs, Navajos, etc.) you know that is sometimes hiring during winter looking for pilots with 1000 hours?

tferguson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tferguson »

Alberta oil charter work is busiest during the winter.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

http://placement.emploiquebec.net/mbe/u ... fr=4305319
Job offer display :
air pilots and navigators supervisor
The information found in some of the fields in this job offer was translated by the employer. The translation has not been verified by Emploi-Québec or Service Canada.

Number of position(s) to fill : 42
Offer N° : 4305319
In-house job name (if different) : Pilots (Type Rated) – Seasonal, Contract
VACANCES SUNWING
Work place
7785, BOUL. DE LA CÔTE DE LIESSE OUEST
SAINT-LAURENT (QUÉBEC) (Québec)
H4T1G2
Main functions
Responsibilities: Ensuring that safety is the primary objective by adhering to the Sunwing safety policy and utilizing the appropriate safety reporting program in order to identify and communicate all known hazards and risks to the organization. Ensuring continual improvement through the periodic review of documented processes Assisting in flight planning and any other preparations for flight as required by Company Policy Conducting flight duties and responsibilities as outlined the Flight Operations Manual Monitoring all aspects of flight and noting safety concerns to the company Participating in the execution of cockpit procedures, emergency procedures, checklist procedures and instrument approach procedures in accordance with the procedures and drills in the Aircraft Flight Manual and /or Company approved procedures. During ground operations, supervising the loading of the aircraft, fuelling, and the preparation of the load sheet as required Maintaining a current medical Maintaining the ability to work in Canada Maintaining a current passport Other flight operations related duties as assigned.

Requirements and working conditions
Educational level : University
Years of experience related to the job offer :3 to 5 years experience
Description of qualifications : Must have Canadian Airline Transport Pilot License and valid Aviation Medical Must be current and rated B737NG with Transport Canada License Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada 3000 hours total time – Lower than 3000 hours total time maybe considered based on experience Positive attitude No accidents / incidents / violations in last 3 years
Languages asked for : spoken languages : French and English
written languages : French and English
Salary offered : according to experience of : 60,00$ to : 215,00$ - per hour
Number of hours per week : 20,00
Various terms : Candidates are also eligible for bonuses, overtime payments, in accordance with Sunwing’s policies and procedures. 80 – 90 credit hours per month.
Job status : seasonal
full time
day, evening, night, weekend, shift, on call
Length of the employment : 7 to 9 months
Job start date : 2015-01-01
Communication
Means of communication : E-mail (electronic mail) : hr@sunwing.ca
Additional information : If you are interested in applying, please forward your resume and cover letter to hr@sunwing.ca with the job title in the subject line. We would like to thank all that apply however only those who meet the qualifications will be contacted.

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

cdnpilot77 wrote:
CropDuster wrote:
Shall we point out the irony of all the mistakes in this part of your post?
To(o) funny :lol:

SnotRocket
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SnotRocket »

racer-pilot-rob wrote:I have noticed the large number of highly qualified pilots who are starving for either work or a better situation than what they are caught up in. Seems since AC hiring freeze, the whole country is ground to a halt. This only helps lower wages everywhere due to pilots who have to take anything.
The industry is trying to turn towards a lack of talent as people are distracted by financial problems and worry about their futures. This is wrong because there are extremely talented pilots (prob reading this) waiting for a chance. While even the military claims there is a pilot shortage and hires cheap foreign pilots instead. No other single job in the world has as many lives in their hands at any given moment. Maybe the public should know??

Is anyone truly hiring, or just advertising?
Should the public know?

I should add, I don't want this to turn into another hate forum. I only want to find real jobs that will improve everyones station in this employment situation we find ourselves in.
Results not typical.

Return to “Employment Forum”