coastal pacific

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PIC
Rank 0
Rank 0

coastal pacific

Post by PIC »

anyone has any feedback or experience with coastal ? i'd like to do my cpl-mifr there.
all kinds of info will help much.

thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

my mom told me to fly low and slow !!!
TangoKilo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TangoKilo »

If you want to do the program and get university credit it is a great idea. I did the coastal program and thought it was a very professional. Looking back, there isnt much that I could complain about. Along with the Multi/ifr training, you also get crew resource management training through the university program. This is practiced on Navajo and king air 90 simulators. The instructors and staff are experienced and very helpful.
best o luck to ya

gorgesailor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gorgesailor »

Coastal is a well organized machine that will allow you to get you your licences and ratings in an expedient, professional manner. I went there and have many positive things to say about the program(s), however, if I were to do it all again at a Flight College/University, I would have chosen the Sault College program. The reason for this is because their program is subsidized by the government, allowing you to come out in the end without a $50, 000 debt, as many do with Coastal. I know some great pilots that have come out of the Sault program, and they have great things to say about the program, plus they have the added advantage of not having any flight training debt.

All in all though, if money isn't a factor for you, Coastal Pacific has a well maintained fleet of aircraft, new and incredibly advanced simulators, and great instructors. Egos do run high there amongst the instructors, so I hope you don't get offended easily!

All the best!!

~Hollywood~
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ~Hollywood~ »

Hey there I am attending Coastal right now doing my mifr and have really enjoyed my experience I have had with them so far. I have done my ppl and cpl with them and would highly recomend them. They have really good instructors, great maintanence and sims, and really emphasize the professionalism as well.
So if you have any specific questions just PM me

cheers

Pregnant Flight Attendant = Pilot Error
PIC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PIC »

thanks very much for all the info..

i already hold my PPL and 300 total time with about 250 PIC. some IFR and few night time is included as well. i guess this means i can start immediately for CPL course and MIFR too. coastal offers such individual separate courses (i guess best for my case because i also have bachelors degree...) only twice a week for certain hours.. it seems to me they are more concentrated on degree programs.. thats why i think the pace will be slow if i go for individual programs since i'll be able to fly only twice a week...
if i chose to spend much more for my SECOND diploma(i dont know if i really need this) and take their one year challenge program, it starts on january.

my second option would be to go to proifr, much closer to where i live, and start immediately... there i guess i'll travel more than half the way until january and wont pay the extra for a SECOND diploma !!!

my only concern would be if the instruction and maintenance there is as good as coastal...high running egos, and competition are things i like to see in a place !!

do you think it will worth to wait till january ?? or pro will do at least as good as coastal ?? suggestions ??

my mom told me to fly low and slow !!!
RB
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RB »

heard WC is now the CP at Coastal. That is great for both him and the school

~Hollywood~
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ~Hollywood~ »

He sure is. Great guy...will definetely be positive for Coastal

~Hollywood~
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ~Hollywood~ »

PIC,

I dont know too much about proifr, so I cant tell you to choose one place over the other. But all the people I know that have done the challenge program at Coastal really enjoyed it but said it was a really intense with classes and flying every day.

So I guess its completely up to you since you dont live too close to Coastal and you would have to be coming out every day for either flying, groundschool, or classes at the University.

But just like you said, the instruction and maintanence at Coastal is really good and the program is very well organized. Good luck in your decision and if you have any more questions or need contact info for Coastal just let me know.

cheers

ils09
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ils09 »

I have more respect for WC and is teaching than anyone else. He is the kind of guy you can really learn from. Both in and out of the cockpit.

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

Coastal seems to run a good operation and has a solid reputation for giving their students access to some advanced training (provided by CP Advanced Flight as far as I'm aware).

The addition of these turbine-training elements (especially the BE90 sim, although I'd doubt it'd directly affect your ability to land a job) could make a difference when you do transition into something that's burning jet instead of Avgas. So it seems like a decent option.

That being said, I believe that JM at ProIFR is probably one of the best-connected and most enthusiastic guys you can meet. You really can't go wrong training with Pro IMHO, and I'm sure a lot on this forum have trained with him and would agree. Go check both schools out, figure out what you want out of the program, but honestly I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Best O' Luck.

PC12's are better
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PC12's are better »

PIC,

I've been through both schools in one aspect or another over the past few years and In my humble opiniion I believe that they are both great schools. However in the long run I would go for Pro and on the side go to UBC or SFU for the degree portion of the program if you are interested in it. I think that although the CP/UCFV adn the BCIT/PFC options are great package deals, they are quite alot more expensive than they really have to be

for example, do you really need B747 "classic" simulator time for whatever it costs, (I think 5-10,000) I don't know, but it sounds like a real cash grab to me. you can do just as much CRM and advanced ops training in a navajo or whatever you are looking for. total cost for the entire program is in the 50.000 ballpark.

I think that PRO would be the better choice, more bang for the buck. they tend to treat you more like the customer than as an employee which is what I found that coastal did. I feel that if you are about to spend 50-60000 for anything then you are their only concern, hard to say when they have 40-50 people going throught the program each year

Go with Pro

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

PIC,

You said you already have a degree? If that is the case, Coastal is not for you. An extra diploma is not worth the time, distance and money. Coastal is more professional than your typical flight school. They require a higher level of dicipline etc. This may help to prepare you for industry, but the main advantage is paper. If you have sheepskin, just do the ratings you need. It sounds like you have a lot of time already so thier syllabus may not be compatible with your experience level. (ie you'd be wasting money on unnecessary flights)

In terms of doctrine, Coastal is aimed at producing airline oriented pilots. I'm not saying that if you go there, airlines are your only choice, but that is how the training is biased.

The other thing to consider when comparing Coastal to other College/University programs, is that UCFV and Coastal are seperate entities. Sault College, Confederation, Selkirk, Seneca etc. all have flight departments that are more or less a part of the actual institution. This means that the Profs teaching classes generally have more experience and knowledge, and are not simply looking to build hours before moving on.

I would suggest that Coastal ground school is comparable to most other private flight schools.

Bottom line is that Pro will probably get you done quicker and for less money. From what others have said about the quality of training there, I would suggest that you would do just as well to go that route as to fly out of Abbotsford.

Don't get me wrong, Coastal is a fine school and does have it's advantages, but were I in your position, I'd look elsewhere.

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
canpilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by canpilot »

I am not sure if you have a degree already?? If you don't, I would simply go to pro. and attend UBC/SFU on the side to pick up your degree. Another advantage of this (other than lowered cost) is you will be able to fly on the side, building PIC if you wish. (eg. you are not restricted to just the Coastal program.) I am currently doing things in this manner and and although it is hectic at times and ALOT of hard work it has paid off. I am able to fly for Air cadets ect. and do my ratings and build PIC AND g oto Univ.. Just some food for thought.. GOOD LUCK!! :D

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

So if WC is CFI now, where did PC go?

gorgesailor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gorgesailor »

PC went to Transport. Good guy, and did a great job while at CP. WC is first rate - had many great classes and conversations with him. They couldn't have chosen a better guy for the position. Fly safe everyone!

speed demon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by speed demon »

I think that the approach of Canpilot above is the best. I find the aviation/college academics are really watered down and anyone who just checks in in the morning will pass with flying grades.

But reality is that the aviation college managers usually have good ties with higher ups in the industry and I see many graduates getting in with local regional carriers relatively quick.

Front.
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Front. »

Well I went for a FAM Flight with Ernie, and a extensive tour with the director of admission, and wow did everybody make me feel welcome. I became good friends with one of their instructors currently in his 4th year doing their BBA program and it was rather cool. The Sign i got there is similar than what everybody else is saying, they create Airline Pilot's compared to anything else. They have a B743 simulator donated from Air Canada I believe or they bought it. Also, the Dash 8 chief Pilot for Jazz is intensively involved with the school, again, airline purposes and getting you ready. I believe CPA got a Award from Air Canada regarding being the best school or something for airline pilots? Not sure.

Anyway, Abbotsford is also a great place to practice, mainly because you are also involved with some majors coming in and out like WestJet and Jazz...

I am going to do my PPL/Night somewhere, to coast through the first year focusing on the BBA studies and fly extra on my own time. For me, the real action starts in the 2nd year when I will be learning their single engine instrument rating and onwards from there.

Now I've not seen anybody ask this, do you know what your goal out of this whole discovery on where to go is? If it infact is to fly for a Regional/Major one day like Jazz or Air Canada, I would just do my training over at Coastal, just because again, they manage to teach you and get you used to the prestige, manners, and other traits an "Airline Pilot" would withold in their career.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Front. on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Degrassi
Rank 1
Rank 1

OH MAN WAKE UP

Post by Degrassi »

I realize that the original post is rather old.. however i have some comments.. I am an ex student.. and i will admit i loved coastal and everything it had to offer... I got all my licenses through them and learnt more than what i could have asked for.. It is a great program.. IF YOU WANT TO GET A DEGREE which i recommend highly...

HOWEVER... as for it being an expidient way of getting your licenses,, give me a break, i have friends that have gone from zero time last september 05, to being cpl multi ifr, as well as instructors, as of a month ago june 06.. No way you could ever dream of that at coastal. As for the people being nice and friendly... well yea dude its a business, just remember how friendly they were to you when you first met them, to the day you graduate and they forger all about you, because you are no longer an asset to them.. That is all i have to say, i dont think many can argue with that.

WhatThe?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WhatThe? »

Please take what i say with a grain of salt....Wayne Cave is an excellent man, and i understand the management has changed since i was incarcerated there!!!

1. Too much money, the licences are the same no matter where you go.

2. Simulator time way over done, no one needs 200hrs of sim, given you can only log 100 of that, and sit your life away next to your flight partner for the other hundred.

3. Weather!!! how are young pilots suppoesed to get a feel for real-conditions if an instructor has to sign you off for Severely-clear VFR circuits AFTER you already have a commercial licence?

4. 747-sim ....WTF????

5. Look on the walls of the flight school, you will notice many grad classes of past days....now pay special attention to the fact that around 1998-99 the class sizes nearly doubled if not tripled overnight. I can assure you that NO new aircraft were purchased. So the April-May end date of each semester is a wishful thought not reality....enjoy making up those lesson plans in August when you were supposed to be working.

6. Finally they remind me of the government. You give them your money...but they tell you what to do, and all you can do is bend over and take it!!!

Go to a smaller flight school at Boundary Bay, and get a decent degree from UBC or SFU, you will be treated like a customer, not a number.

I've fallen and i can't get up!
groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

a) Lots of money
b) Excellent training
c) Established Program, known by the airlines
d) 747 Sim- not to be taken too seriously!
e) Same weather as every other flight school- severe VFR

Just look at where the grads have gone and descide if its worth it for you.

Have fun.

Return to “Flight Training”