Video - cockpit video - fatal accident Russia Nov 3 2014

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Video - cockpit video - fatal accident Russia Nov 3 2014

Post by bizjets101 »

Everything goes wrong in this video - pilot fatal (age 44), passenger seriously injured - hard to watch ...

RA-1725G - Aircraft type; Evektor-Aerotechnik EV-97 EuroStar - occurred Nov 3 2014 Vladimir Oblast, Russia.

Click Here (YouTube Video)
---------- ADS -----------

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Video - cockpit video - fatal accident Russia Nov 3 2014

Post by iflyforpie »

The pilot obviously didn't know what the rudder pedals were for... that was a terrible cross-control on the go around. With piloting like that.... any wonder it crashed. :(

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

It is interesting to watch the airspeed indicator. You can't really make out the speed, but you can compare to other phases of flight. During approach, which seems reasonable looking to me, the airspeed pointer is constantly in the second clockwise quadrant. At touchdown, it slows to within the first quadrant.

After the touch and go, the aircraft is never allowed to accelerate faster than the first quadrant of the ASI, which is slower than the chosen approach speed. The aircraft occupants do not appear to be alarmed by the circumstances of the departure. I sure would be! The aircraft never accelerates to at least approach speed. I would hope that all fixed wing pilots would be alarmed to climb out at a speed slower than the approach speed of their choosing.

Yeah, he let it spin. but he was doomed in any case. His problems started before he forgot to use the pedals, he was ignoring several important elements of safe flying.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Yes, and also look at the throttle: The guy in the left seat is flying, but the guy in the right seat is controlling the engine. You can see on the landing, the left-seat guy doesn't have his hand on it. On the go-around, right-seat-guy pushes the power lever in, and after the plane takes off and turns to the left, he pulls the power back!! The guy in the left seat is trying to climb over trees, the guy in the right seat pulls the power back and then pushes it back in when the plane starts to settle and the airspeed indicator moves well into the bottom of the white arc. The plane is on the wrong side of the power curve; even with full throttle it can't climb and then it drops a wing and falls. Horrifying.

Why wasn't left-seat-guy controlling power? Why did right-seat-guy reduce power while the plane was still struggling to clear obstacles?

I couldn't tell what kind of rudder control was going on, because my eyes were glued to the airspeed indicator and then the guy's hand! What was going on in there?

Geez, I'm all worked up now. I hate these videos!

EDIT: Looking at it more carefully, I see the right-seat guy isn't controlling the throttle, he's controlling the prop. The throttle has a duplicate on the left side, and the left seat guy is controlling it. But you can clearly see the right seat guy pulling the prop back after takeoff!

EDIT AGAIN: These planes have a fixed-pitch ground-adjustable prop. I guess the instructor was controlling the throttle. Anyway, you can see him pulling it back after lift-off!

Last edited by Meatservo on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Thats really sad and hard to watch. The instructor clearly did not have proper training. He let the drift get away then the high aoa, turn etc.

I am curious how many instructors teach a falling leaf, ie pin the controlls full aft and centered and make student keep wings level for several thousand feet of descent. Then pin the rudder and elevator let them try with aileron.. Gets the point across quickly and you get 100s of stalls in a few minutes vs one or two.

Very sad...

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

As noted very sad and totally avoidable. Apart from the throttle/rudder mismanagement they continued turning right trying to climb over the trees when the runway heading was tree - free! And sadly at the end the classic pull all the way back on the stick to try and avoid the ground. It seems hard to believe that either one of them was an instructor.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

Meatservo wrote:Yes, and also look at the throttle: The guy in the left seat is flying, but the guy in the right seat is controlling the engine. You can see on the landing, the left-seat guy doesn't have his hand on it. On the go-around, right-seat-guy pushes the power lever in, and after the plane takes off and turns to the left, he pulls the power back!! The guy in the left seat is trying to climb over trees, the guy in the right seat pulls the power back and then pushes it back in when the plane starts to settle and the airspeed indicator moves well into the bottom of the white arc. The plane is on the wrong side of the power curve; even with full throttle it can't climb and then it drops a wing and falls. Horrifying.

Why wasn't left-seat-guy controlling power? Why did right-seat-guy reduce power while the plane was still struggling to clear obstacles?

I couldn't tell what kind of rudder control was going on, because my eyes were glued to the airspeed indicator and then the guy's hand! What was going on in there?

Geez, I'm all worked up now. I hate these videos!

EDIT: Looking at it more carefully, I see the right-seat guy isn't controlling the throttle, he's controlling the prop. The throttle has a duplicate on the left side, and the left seat guy is controlling it. But you can clearly see the right seat guy pulling the prop back after takeoff!

EDIT AGAIN: These planes have a fixed-pitch ground-adjustable prop. I guess the instructor was controlling the throttle. Anyway, you can see him pulling it back after lift-off!
If you follow the link to the russian news page, the video can be opened in full screen 720p which gives much better resolution. The AI fluctuations can be seen much better. Be warned however that the video is a bit longer than the one on YouTube.

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

Here is a direct link to the HD video: http://lifenews.ru/news/144283

EDIT: After watching the video again closely, there does appear to be an "optional" left hand throttle on this particular aircraft....

Last edited by Lost in Saigon on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I'm pretty sure it's dual throttle... that's what the left seater has his hand on...

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

iflyforpie wrote:I'm pretty sure it's dual throttle... that's what the left seater has his hand on...
What makes you think it has dual throttles?

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... es-200294/

Engine control is via a push/pull throttle lever centrally mounted at the base of the instrument panel, with no mixture control. The throttle has a novel “twist function” to allow for finer rpm control without moving the lever. A propeller control lever is centrally located on the cockpit floor and operates around a “gated” quadrant with fully forward (lever vertical) equating to full fine pitch.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

The location and movement of his hand in the video. It's child's play to add another push pull control to the panel.

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

iflyforpie wrote:The location and movement of his hand in the video. It's child's play to add another push pull control to the panel.
Good catch... :oops: I watched the video again and you are right, there does appear to be a throttle on the left side. I take back what I said earlier about the instructor.

Still he should have been able to control the aircraft better during the touch and go....

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Whether there's a throttle or not on the left side, you can clearly see the "instructor" pushing some kind of a knob all the way forward during the go-around, and then pulling it back a certain amount during climb-out, before pushing it all the way back in just prior to the "student" losing control.

I just watched it again in HD and "full screen": you can see very clearly what is happening. There is a left-side throttle installed. Both pilots have their hands on a throttle lever. You can see the student's hand moving along with the throttle but it's quite clear that the instructor is the one who is controlling it. He gives the plane full power for lift-off but then he pulls it almost all the way back afterwards. Almost like he's trying to give the student an "engine failure after takeoff" scenario. Maybe because the student turned left too quickly, and the instructor was saying "what if you had an engine failure right now?" Then instead of turning back over the runway the student continued the left turn. You can see the instructor at that point return the throttle to the full power position. The airspeed continues to decrease and then they lose control.

It's very clear if you watch the HD fullscreen and keep an eye on the airspeed indicator and the instructor's hand on the throttle

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

This picture of the accident aircraft, taken from the same website, and parked at the same spot as the previous picture above, which is also most likely the accident aircraft.....

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I don't notice a throttle on the left... do you? :wink:

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”