Would you buy a flying car?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hangar3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Would you buy a flying car?

Post by hangar3 »

With the latest PR about this:

http://www.gizmag.com/aeromobil-3/34491/

Would you buy one?
What do you see as the benefits/negatives?
What would you change?

I for one, think it would make having my own plane more possible, and not have to deal with the plane rental deal (which I've been having lots of trouble doing since I got to where I'm living now, but that's another story :chain: ).
I wouldn't have to deal with hangar issues and could store it in my own heated garage.
If I go somewhere I can just drive to town as well, and not worry about being stranded at the airport or renting a car (Let's face it, the cost of the flying itself is just one part of the equation). But I still think it looks weird right now, not sure I'd want to roll in the streets with it.

I find it looks a lot like this, just modernized:
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Would you buy a flying car?

Post by AirFrame »

I would have serious concerns about parking it anywhere unattended. If someone door-dings my Mazda3, i'll be annoyed but it's not likely to harm me. If someone door-dings my prop, or damages a control surface, there's a lot more risk.

How would you insure it, is the next question. Is it a car? A plane? What happens when another car hits me, and I later have a crash (from the air) that's traced back to damage in the car accident?

rac007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rac007 »

Flying car concepts have always been around. Although with technology advances the idea is getting closer to market. The most impressive ones I've seen are the Maverick from ITEC, albeit not a speedster, and the 2 models from Terrafugia.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Compromised designs and an apathetic population: that is why no flying car will ever be successful.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
hangar3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hangar3 »

AirFrame, that's a good point. With that prop and all the control surfaces out in the open like that, and the attention it would draw, it'd be bound to get dinged. Do you think it'd be best insured as a plane for the more stringent maintenance?
iflyforpie wrote:an apathetic population
You think so? I mean I don't think the whole population would be interested in this by any means, but I think pilots out there wouldn't mind even the compromise if the design is still practical?

I mean I do hold the pessimistic view that nobody out there is excited about anything other than the next iPhone in today's day and age, but still think it'd be possible to have an inspiring design.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

The flying car will be the final solution to the BC Ferries issue.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

You are in luck. You can buy the original one right now.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 296489.htm

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

hangar3 wrote:
iflyforpie wrote:an apathetic population
You think so? I mean I don't think the whole population would be interested in this by any means, but I think pilots out there wouldn't mind even the compromise if the design is still practical?
Yes, I think so.

What is it, about 1% of the population that has a pilot's license? Even less of a percentage own a plane. These are two things that are perfectly attainable on a middle class income--on par with buying a new pickup truck but a better long term investment. But people don't want to go through the effort of training and deal with the very restrictive and inherently dangerous nature of aviation.

The flying car will only be acceptable to the masses when it is as easy as driving.... ...which means a cheap and plentiful compact energy source, a method of levitation that doesn't involve aerodynamic lift or reaction, and extremely simple but precise method of control and separation.

As I pilot, I'd rather have a real plane.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Maybe when they make one that can be a car, airplane AND boat.....

But seriously, I agree with others that the compromises basically make it a bad car and a bad airplane. The usefulness is less than the sum of the parts. Even amphibious airplanes are a compromise but generally more useful.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The biggest issue I see would be certifying the vehicle for road use. If it's a car, then it needs car safety features and that would add too much weight and cost.

tommywcom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tommywcom »

I would if it has 4 seats.

A big part of inconvenience of flying anywhere is what do you do to get around when you get there. Some places (like Tofino) ding you big time for car rental. And then there's the delay and hassle of obtaining transportation.

The flying car seems to solve the problem. Better yet, I think a helicar would be a better sell - the good old fantasy of lifting off in the middle of a traffic jam =)

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

People would have to learn to fly and learn when not to go.
The countries would have to review the whole infrastructures.

We are having troubles getting some plugs for electrical cars. The flying car? Not tomorrow.

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

I already have a car. What I would like is a plane that transforms into a large, friendly but street-smart robot that can help me solve problems with bullies and get me out of jams.

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

frozen solid wrote:I already have a car. What I would like is a plane that transforms into a large, friendly but street-smart robot that can help me solve problems with bullies and get me out of jams.
So you need one of them Autobots.. What is the big blue and red truck called?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

.... But I'm looking at those two nice big front wheels, thinking that steering them on final to account for a crosswind landing could be really handy! It'd be like an Ercoupe!

The dreamers should always dream, but a practical one unit flying car is just too far from day to day practical to ever work. Like I'm going to park my half million dollar pride and joy in a downtown street, and expect it to remain "airworthy" while other people park around it? :rolleyes:

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

iflyforpie wrote:But people don't want to go through the effort of training and deal with the very restrictive and inherently dangerous nature of aviation.
It's all about perception. I don't find anything about flying to be "restrictive", personally. Sure, I have to talk to people to fly into certain airspaces, but by and large, I can pretty much go wherever I want whenever I want, weather permitting. And I can do it at whatever speed I want to. Driving, i'm stuck in traffic, on fixed routes, rarely operating at my vehicle's best efficiency point. And I pass hundreds of idiots every day that try to kill me by doing stupid things in their vehicles... Flying, I rarely see other airplanes.
Me too. And i'd rather not have average drivers given access to my airspace. :)

danishroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by danishroy »

Most people cant even drive properly and people think flying cars is the future. I would be really angry if these things become popular and so cheap that anyone could buy it. I can see accidents and death numbers sky rocketing. It would be cool to have for people who have pilot licenses and know what they are doing. But I don't think flying cars will ever take off.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

AirFrame wrote:
iflyforpie wrote:But people don't want to go through the effort of training and deal with the very restrictive and inherently dangerous nature of aviation.
It's all about perception. I don't find anything about flying to be "restrictive", personally. Sure, I have to talk to people to fly into certain airspaces, but by and large, I can pretty much go wherever I want whenever I want, weather permitting. And I can do it at whatever speed I want to. Driving, i'm stuck in traffic, on fixed routes, rarely operating at my vehicle's best efficiency point. And I pass hundreds of idiots every day that try to kill me by doing stupid things in their vehicles... Flying, I rarely see other airplanes.
Me too. And i'd rather not have average drivers given access to my airspace. :)
+1. Maybe it's me, but I find driving on the freeway around here when it's busy, more stressful than most flights I do.

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

I still like the Moller thing better with it's VTOL. It's very fast (if it every gets to production). Unfortunately, with the proposed $200,000 to $750,000 price tag, I'll just watch the rich guys fly it.

But a flying car better be really fast in the air to make the pricetag worth-while. I like the possibility of landing on the highway when visibility drops while I'm flying IFR (i follow roads). But the truth is I can really afford to wait in line at the BC Ferry more than I can afford a flying car. Until my time is worth $500/hr, I'll stick to Air Canada and my Dodge :rolleyes:

Drinking lots of coffee lately, at a nice safe jungle desk, wishing I were flying......
justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

I would! Only if it came with a cummins, could haul a cord or two of fire wood, and didn't look like garbage with wings.

Return to “General Comments”