Missing north of Peterborough

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Missing north of Peterborough

Post by PilotDAR »

The news says someone in their plane is missing north of Peterborough. They made a distress call, low on fuel.....
---------- ADS -----------

Tramp
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Missing north of Peterborough

Post by Tramp »

howard40
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by howard40 »

What a shame, now folks, 8pm (almost 3 hours after dark) on a kinda cruddy evening, is no time to be running low on fuel , in the haliburton highlands. in a 150.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Hmmm, planned flight from Buttonville to St Hubert, and fuel was a concern, while they were flying over Algonquin park at night? I think several things had already gone wrong with their flight...

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JungianJugular »

Anyone know the registration?

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gwengler »

Sounds like VFR into IMC to me.

clear_blue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by clear_blue »

I've been told that the aircraft was GJAO, although that's unconfirmed, and I'm not about to speculate what other C150's are based at CYKZ.

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gwengler »

JungianJugular wrote:Anyone know the registration?
I heard through the grapevine C-GJAO.

bverwegen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bverwegen »

If true it looks like it is registered to FlyBlockTime.

http://flyblocktime.com

RIP to the 2 on board.

Tiny Voices
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tiny Voices »

Listening to this develop on guard last night, I was under the impression that they were on the return flight to Buttonville, lost, and low on fuel. A bit difficult to understand though, as his voice was panicked and English didn't seem to be the pilots native language. Kudos to the AC crew who were doing their best to relay information, and keep the pilot calm, and did indeed seem to succeed in calming the pilot to the point where they were able to gain some pertinent information.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I find it strange that anyone can get lost these days when you can put AirNavPro on your iphone or android phone for about $20.

Also odd that Capt. Jean Houde from JRCC Trenton is spouting this BS (unless the Toronto Star is misquoting him, which is entirely possible):

"Regulations stipulate that if a pilot is flying further than 25 nautical miles (50 km) from their departure point, they must file a flight plan with NAV Canada, said Houde."

Tramp
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tramp »

It was C-GJAO. Here's the CADORS (sorry for the long link)

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/c ... d2014O2826

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gwengler »

CpnCrunch wrote:Also odd that Capt. Jean Houde from JRCC Trenton is spouting this BS (unless the Toronto Star is misquoting him, which is entirely possible):

"Regulations stipulate that if a pilot is flying further than 25 nautical miles (50 km) from their departure point, they must file a flight plan with NAV Canada, said Houde."
CAR 602.73 states that no pilot-in-command shall operate an aircraft in VFR flight unless a VFR flight plan or a VFR flight itinerary has been filed, except where the flight is conducted within 25 NM of the departure aerodrome.

eeeroger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eeeroger »

gwengler wrote:
CpnCrunch wrote:Also odd that Capt. Jean Houde from JRCC Trenton is spouting this BS (unless the Toronto Star is misquoting him, which is entirely possible):

CAR 602.73 states that no pilot-in-command shall operate an aircraft in VFR flight unless a VFR flight plan or a VFR flight itinerary has been filed, except where the flight is conducted within 25 NM of the departure aerodrome.
Thus making a Flight Itinerary mandatory at the least.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

gwengler wrote:

Precisely. You would think JRCC Trenton would know that.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I've read several different accounts of the route, but I'm getting the idea it was Either Montreal or Ottawa returning to Buttonville. I find the reference to running out of fuel to be noteworthy. Presuming that they filled up before they left, Even Montreal to Haliburton, with wind, is only 2.5 hours, so with four hours of fuel from full, they did a lot of being lost or orbiting somewhere. That is lots of time to put your "plan B" into effect, and head for the populated area. I'm sure that Trenton would rather you be standing on their apron, explaining to the MP's why you had to ask for a PAR approach in there, rather than dispatching SAR to find you. For me, along that route, Trenton = Plan B.

I hope that newer VFR pilots embrace the idea that November night over unpopulated Ontario, in a VFR C 150, is just not a nice place to be for any reason. Either follow the populated areas (follow the 401), or time your flight for daylight hours.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Not sure about Algonquin Park but I was in YYB yesterday which is just north of there and the weather was pretty nasty with some freezing precip and very low ceilings not to mention a 55 kt wind 2000' agl.

Let’s Go Brandon
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

8 pm in Algonquin Park, it does not sound very much vfr and last night there was light fzra nearby this area. Many things must have gone wrong.
:( sad news RIP.

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JungianJugular »

A real sad day. It's so unfortunate because this could have been avoided completely.

Thoughts and prayers to the families of the deceased.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, sad indeed. I certainly flew flights like that in earlier days, night, low equpiied VFR over very unwelcoming territory. I survived it, just luck. I wish we who have survived this type of capability challenging flying could impress on newer pilots that it's just not worth it. There will always be another opportunity to fly, if you say "not right now" this time.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”