In Person Interview Results Taking a Long Time

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: In Person Interview Results Taking a Long Time

Post by Legacy14 »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoots
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shoots »

Legacy14 wrote:I am in Toronto FIR.

Looking at some of the wait times mentioned here, I can't complain! I applied mid March and got in to an in-person testing session at the end of March in Mississauga.
I might have been in the same session as you, where are you in the process? how's it going?

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

For those of you waiting for course dates (and those just starting the process), I found a great thread on another aviation forum. Lots of information on how the process works and what to expect during training.

http://www.aviation.ca/Forum/52-air-tra ... ng-process

http://www.aviation.ca/Forum/52-air-tra ... -process-2

There's over 60 pages on this thread, but I found it a worthwhile read and it answered some questions I had.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoots
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shoots »

Legacy14 wrote:Thanks DHC-1.

I didn't read every page, I read a few then skipped a few etc. Interesting to see that some people got their course offer just a few weeks before the course started rather than 2-3 months, so it didn't give them a lot of time to do the self-study course. But you do what you gotta do.

shoots, are you aware of anyone from our session (near end of March) having gone on to a final interview? I don't know anyone else that applied so I'm in the dark. 6 weeks now... I better start dusting off plan B.
Legacy, no as far as I know it's just the two of us, but I don't know anyone in our session and if they check forums like these. I am just keeping my current job until I hear some final from them. It all depends where you fall in the rankings. I am hoping to know by the fall, that's my optimistic Outlook.

shoots
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shoots »

Just wondering if there are any updates from anyone? I got my green light from my telephone interview on May 5 but haven't heard anything since. Still waiting for a phone call and the light to change on my application, has anyone else had any luck?

I was in the Mississauga testing group in late march, 2014.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RunwayWindAltimer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RunwayWindAltimer »

The fall courses have already started. AFAIK there will be both VFR and IFR courses starting spring '15, calls for those will start to go out in January.

I had a similar time frame to you guys: spring assessment, early summer first interview, didn't get second interview until Oct/Nov, then got a call in January for a March course. Don't give up hope, but also try to put it in the back of your mind. There's no use dwelling on something you can't speed up.

shoots
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shoots »

RunwayWindAltimer wrote:The fall courses have already started. AFAIK there will be both VFR and IFR courses starting spring '15, calls for those will start to go out in January.

I had a similar time frame to you guys: spring assessment, early summer first interview, didn't get second interview until Oct/Nov, then got a call in January for a March course. Don't give up hope, but also try to put it in the back of your mind. There's no use dwelling on something you can't speed up.
Appreciate your story, glad to hear it worked out for ya. And hopefully we will fall into the same fate. I've definitely not given up hope, but just like the other people I'm sure, I'm just excited to get a chance at this career. Hopefully we'll get calls next month, but I know the application is active for 18 months.

What stream did you end up doing? Did you make it through? Any tips for the rest of us?
Thanks!

RunwayWindAltimer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RunwayWindAltimer »

I was streamed for IFR then placed in VFR. In my second interview I told the manager of training that I wanted VFR, although I'm not sure how much that influenced management's decision. I qualified last year.

As far as tips for training, during course be prepared to devote most of your time to studying and sim practice. During OJT do your best to stay positive; constant criticism every day plus beating up on yourself for mistakes can get you down. As long you keep the chin up and continue improving you'll be successful. Also important is communication with your training supervisor. If you feel like you're not progressing with your OJI, don't be afraid to request a change of instructor. It's your career, nobody will fault you for trying to ensure that you make the best of every available training day.

And at all points of training: don't forget to have fun! Sounds like a lame tip, but the course and job itself are great, so enjoy it!

shoots
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shoots »

RunwayWindAltimer wrote:I was streamed for IFR then placed in VFR. In my second interview I told the manager of training that I wanted VFR, although I'm not sure how much that influenced management's decision. I qualified last year.

As far as tips for training, during course be prepared to devote most of your time to studying and sim practice. During OJT do your best to stay positive; constant criticism every day plus beating up on yourself for mistakes can get you down. As long you keep the chin up and continue improving you'll be successful. Also important is communication with your training supervisor. If you feel like you're not progressing with your OJI, don't be afraid to request a change of instructor. It's your career, nobody will fault you for trying to ensure that you make the best of every available training day.

And at all points of training: don't forget to have fun! Sounds like a lame tip, but the course and job itself are great, so enjoy it!

Thanks for the info, and being prepared for the criticisms as you mentioned is pretty important. Every job has a learning curve but this is a job with more serious consequences. Hopefully I'll get the call for the in person this year.

One more question, did you end up having to move after your training or did you get an offer for your local area?

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

I'm still in limbo as well. I got the green light back in May but I haven't heard a single word since that point. Obviously the fall sittings are distant memory so I'm hoping to see some progress for the spring sitting.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

No longer in limbo!

Was informed today that I've been asked to the Final Interview at the end of November.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

They actually never called. Simply got an email from NavCanada with all the details.

shoots
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shoots »

Anyone still following this post? Just wondering if any new calls went out in the last few weeks? I've been waiting/hoping for my in person interview since I got the last green light in May. Just hoping for some updates from some people out there on how they are progressing.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Its definitely been quiet around here lately! I'm still waiting to do my final interview at the end of this month.

Hopefully others will receive calls/results soon.

shoots
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shoots »

rspencer38 wrote:Its definitely been quiet around here lately! I'm still waiting to do my final interview at the end of this month.

Hopefully others will receive calls/results soon.
Oh wow, so you got your call/e-mail at the end of Sept and your interview isn't till the end of Nov eh? What area are you in? Hoping to hear something before years end for sure.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”