Thoughts

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Thoughts

Post by Old fella »

Any particular thoughts on your very first operational trip as Captain when all command requirements(trgn, line indoc etc) have been completed and you are released to go. Is it just the usual, just another trip. If you are a newly minted Captain on , say a B767 and have been released to go operational can you bid whatever(based on seniority) or are there restrictions for a period of time. Can your first command trip be YYZ - Istanbul even if have never been there before.
---------- ADS -----------

BlueSkies12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Thoughts

Post by BlueSkies12 »

No restrictions, you're a line pilot who can do whatever you can get your hands on (based on seniority).

At least it'll be warm in hell...
777LR
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 777LR »

And if you are assigned to rouge it's based on points.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

There are restrictions on Cat II and III approaches until a certain amount of command time is logged.

No Quarter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Quarter »

At WestJunk you're able to stand in as a flight attendant while they get off and stretch their legs.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

As a guy working for West jet 's maim competitor (and the airline this treat was made for, leave the cheap shots out of it. Yes it's a bit different (which i dont feel pilots should do) that they help clean their own airplane but fill I'm for an FA? That's a bit much. We should not try and create a rid between our two pilot groups.

WhatThe?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WhatThe? »

F... Y..

I work for Big Red, but I have nothing but respect for the guys at Teal Blue.

It's a job; I have a job, they have a job. Don't ever forget that we are all Professional Aviators.

I wish you luck in your career, may you end up at one of these great companies?

Over.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Jeez.......... being the originator of this thread, I just asked a simple operational question about Air Canada on the Air Canada site. No mention of WJ on their ops nor was I interested in doing so, nor did I expect a cheap shot towards them. Like AC, the times I have flown with them(WJ) it was A+ service all the way. Yes, the third-rate FA comedy act can annoy me but others enjoy the routine and possibly the main reason people continue to use WJ as their primary travel. Fair enough and nothing wrong with that either.
:drinkers:

WhatThe?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WhatThe? »

Old Fella, thread drift is fantastic on these forums.

There are Route Briefing Notes in addition to Jepps that are available for all AC airports, and if a new route is added to the structure we also usually have a very descriptive Chief Pilot's Notes that will bring pilots up to speed on the Airport.
After a month-or-so there will usually always be a crew member who has done the trip at least once.

Hope that answers your question?

Mike

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Unless AC has something different I would imagine that at the end of the day, it comes down to Route and Aerodrome qualification training as per the CAR's. So long as you have gone to an airport of similar operations, you are qualified to go to similar type airport even though you haven't been there before.

So for example, if you've been to CYVR, you can go to CYYZ even if you've never been to CYYZ before. I would imagine if you've been to CYVR then you can go to EDDF and all the likes as there is nothing more to it than local area knowledge and that stupid ROLIS transition that has you flying square patterns after a 10 hour flight... not fun. :lol:

Return to “Air Canada”