Helmets

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

collegeboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Helmets

Post by collegeboy »

Hey guys and gals

I am embarking on a shift in the industry, moving to crop dusting. I am looking for a helmet. The ones that I see the most of on the interweb seem to be Gentex, Gallet, Alpha, and maybe Evolution. I am not a short guy; so maybe this is not a good change for me, but I would like something a little more low profile in a helmet.

The ones I see guys use in aerobatic videos seem to be low profile. I have come across Bonehead Composites. They make helmets mainly for skydiving, but are moving towards one for pilots such as their Gunar model with the com package and their new PilotX very new only on their facebook page so far.

Venting and weight are the biggest issues for me. Summer is hot in a small non air conditioning cockpit.

Have any of you used a Bonehead helmet or something similar?

Thanks for the Help,
SJMH
---------- ADS -----------

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Helmets

Post by cgzro »

i faced a similar problem in the Pitts. i got a bonehead and cut it out to hang the earcups from my Telex 50d. works very well and is low profile.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

here is a pic.. hope this works

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

How tall are you?

Either way, don't cheap out. Get something with ANR. I have over 1000hrs on my Gentex HGU-55, and have replaced the ANR once already. It is the smaller of the bunch, but not nearly as light when compared to a Gallet. I'm 5' 10" and there is still plenty of room in the Ag Truck and Air Tractor. I tend to drop the seat down in most aircraft I fly. If/when I buy another helmet, it will either be another 55 or a MSA Gallet LH250. Again .... ANR!!! Don't cheap out or you'll be as deaf as a cropduster ....which is deafer than a doorknob.

My helmet is black, and not webbed. 1) Don't listen to anyone about colour and how it is so much hotter ... they have likely never flown with a black helmet and don't know the difference. Mine is black and as cool as any other colour. 2) Webbed clearly has improved ventilation BUT the trouble I find with webbed helmets, is that when you turn your head, your head moves, the helmet stays stationary momentarily and then follows. It has a sloppy fit.

Keep in mind about durability and comfort. Personally, I wouldn't go with a makeshift/chopped up bucket. 1) It's safety gear, so don't cheap out on it. 2) You will be taking this thing on and off all day long ... we're talking up around 30-40 loads in a day during peak season. I try to get out, and at minimum, take my helmet off when ever I roll up to the mix pad.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
bubba070
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bubba070 »

I use a Gallet LH250 in an 802. They're not cheap but I wouldn't use anything else. Give Rob a call at Merit apparel in Florida, he will sell you what you need.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

If a Gallet or HGU will fit then naturally that is the best option. They both require about 3-4 inches from the top of your head to the canopy and are quite wide and wont work if the cockpit canopy is narrow. This was the problem in the Pitts S1, its narrow and tight and with HGU or Gallet you cant look up and down when inverted and have limited side clearance to look at runway edges.. Basically unwearable in that type of machine so no option really. The AG machines look much roomier and HGU etc should work.

collegeboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by collegeboy »

How tall are you?

Well with bare feet not in work boots I am 6'3". If my first job is in a Pawnee it is a tight fit. I haven't sat in a 188 I have a Pawnee and an 802.

I know not to cheap out on the helmet. I want it to last. I am just doing a bunch of research before I buy one.

I wouldn't chop up a helmet either, boneheads makes one with comms package. Actually when you contact them the owner replies.

Another question, what is the difference between CEP/CME?

I do love my ANR headset after flying most cessna's, Beavers, caravans, 1900's I do like the quiet.

Thanks for the help

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Your first job will be in a Pawnee or an Ag Truck. There are a handful of guys that I fly with that are your height, and they all started out in the Ag Truck. It's a tight fit, and your helmet will seek out the roll cage ... but it is doable.

CEP's are an ear plug system, with speakers in the earplug (much like earbuds ... but with hearing protection). The trouble with CEP's is that it is an additional wire attached to the helmet, and it is a pain to take the helmet off with ease. I know of 2 guys that have CEP installed, both of which do not take their helmets off when wandering around the plane, simply because the additional wire to un-plug and plug back in is a pain. CEP's are passive only, but do a great job at noise reduction (so I hear .. I have never used them myself). It was recommended to me to stay away from the custom molds as they tend to "leak" noise. I opted against CEP entirely. That being said, there are some long days that I wear earplugs WITH the ANR to reduce fatigue and additional hearing protection. I would wear earplugs in addition to ANR all the time, but the COMM's are difficult to hear at that point.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
collegeboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by collegeboy »

Thanks for the info Adam. I'll let you guys know what I end up getting after Christmas. I don't need anymore expenses this year for tax reasons. Although with the money I will be throwing into North battlefords economy maybe I should.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

They'll do a group buy when you do your course.

collegeboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by collegeboy »

Hey DonutHole. Do you know who they do the group buy with? By chance. They are down at a NAAA conference for the next week or so. I can always ask Pat when they get back I guess.

SJMH

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

If I recall correctly, they order from Sky Tractor, which is an SPH-4. It's big, heavy, and webbed. Not only that, you will want a helmet before you start training ... otherwise you will be borrowing a junker that has seen many hours from many people. I compare helmets to underwear. You wouldn't borrow someones used underwear that has been worn for hundreds or thousands of hours, would you? To each his/her own though! :mrgreen:

http://www.skytractor.com/helmets%20&%20gloves.htm

collegeboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by collegeboy »

It depends on how good looking she is.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

:lol:

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

A few guys got the gallets last time I was out there

foxy222
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by foxy222 »

I am just shy of 6'3 myself and needless to say have not sat in a spray plane yet that I found as "roomy" but hey we are not paid to be comfortable right. I am using an Alpha helmet due to the fact they have quite a few options for sizing and I have one of those odd shaped heads so I could find something that fit well. I have not had any real clearance issues in the pawnee I was flying. The biggest problem was the stock 3 foot chord that came with it not being long enough to reach the plugs. That was easily fixed with an extension. I believe Alpha was just purchased by Gentex. ANR is a must when you are basically in a tractor with wings. I lost power to my ANR (when it was battery powered not aircraft) and it sure makes hearing anything on the radio tough. Just make sure you take the time to find something that fits well because you and that helmet are going to spend a lot of hot sweaty days together. The time it takes for the helmets to be built and delivered is something to think about as well. Mine was about a month and a half or so. I have heard stories from other guys waiting multiple months before it was delivered so just something to keep in mind.

Enjoy the training and be gentle with the ol pawnee on those hot days fully loaded. Sure is no extra power there ha.

There are only two reason why I fly airplanes.

1. TC said I can

2. TC still says I can
collegeboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by collegeboy »

I am really liking the Ballet LA 100 but also looking at the EVO 252. I am definitely going to get AMR I have used it on many aircraft. WWW.tigerperforance.com said they would put Bose A20 in if I sign a liability waiver. It is the standard ANR in the EVO helmets.

How do you guys and girls like the headsetinc ANR in the other helmets.

SJMH

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Gibson and Barnes uses Headset Inc ANR in their Gentex helmets. Kitchener Aero uses Headset Inc in their Gentex helmets as well. I'm not sure what Gallet uses for the guts. I think I had a bit of bad luck with my ANR right from the get go. It would squeal after an hours use .... this was only ~50hrs since new. I had Kitchener Aero replace the ANR for me and have had no issues since. I went with Headsets Inc again.... no issues so far. Great noise reduction overall.

So long as you have good ear cup seals for the Bose, I would think that would be a good upgrade. I always preach to have good passive and active noise reduction. That being said, I'm not sure how the ANR performs in noisy Ag planes. For example; I know that DCX11's were garbage in a Pawnee, but fantastic in a spam can airplane. I work with one guy that ripped his Zulu's apart and put them in his helmet. He loves them.

If the only reason you are looking at the LH100 is for the bayonet receivers, maybe reconsider? I upgraded my HGU55 to have receivers, and I have never used them. I would not upgrade to them again for my next helmet. Either way, you can't go wrong with the LH100.

I don't know anything about the EVO helmets, and don't know anyone that has one.

collegeboy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by collegeboy »

Gallet uses the Headset Inc ANR as well. I have heard they are good I want the option with the Bluetooth and aux input after I get used to the plane and the job. Or for any ferry flight I have to do.

I just really like the look of the LA 100 over the other helmets it looks even better without the visor cover. I don't need the bayonets I dont think I will use a respirator.

I was concerned about the liability waiver, but after deliberation I don't think it is a big deal.

This for the help.
CollegeBoy

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”