Dornier on floats

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

BWL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Dornier on floats

Post by BWL »

A geologist friend, formally with Imperial Oil was in one of these Dornier's in the High Artic when they had an incident on landing. Not sure of any other details of the incident, but does anyone have any experience with them or who operated them in Canada?
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
IMG_1742.JPG
IMG_1742.JPG (42.1 KiB) Viewed 7091 times
Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Dornier on floats

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Wheeler-Northland - Cranson Lake PQ -- just over the river from Pembroke - in fact that picture might even be from there

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

There is something about ugly airplanes that I just love. Cool picture!

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

One used to operate from the dock at Vancouver International when I was there in the early to mid-70's .... might have been on trial for Harrison Airways, but I'm far from sure.

Supposedly had good performance, but a bugger to dock in the conditions and places around the coast.

Tuk U
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuk U »

I vaguely remember one in Inuvik operating off the river in the 60's but I was knee high to a mosquito so I don't recall who was operating it I just remember how ugly it was.

bronson
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bronson »

Remember seeing one in Redditt, believe it was operating out of Red Lake in the 70s. Pilot told me that forgetting the trim on TO could be fatal, otherwise a good AC.

bronson - you can be in a hurry or you can be in an airplane, but don't ever get into both at once
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

It looks like a Beaver and a Piper Apache decided to do something they both regretted later.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
BWL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BWL »

This aircraft may have had the incident at the Hoodoo Dome airstrip on Ellef Ringnes Island

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

[quote="
It looks like a Beaver and a Piper Apache decided to do something they both regretted later.
[/quote]

We've all had one of those nights

Last edited by fish4life on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GA MX Trainer Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GA MX Trainer Dude »

BWL

IIRC Hamilton Aviation ( The Late Don Hamilton of Airspray) in Edmonton was one of - or the only distributor for the Dornier Aircraft back in the late 50s and 60s.

Production list for the DO 28 aircraft here;

http://www.siai-marchetti.nl/do28.html

There seem to be 4 aircraft that might fit your profile

CF-PIY c/n 3039 - crashed Charlie Lake

15 - June - 1971

But I don't think that is far enough north to be called the "High Arctic"

CF-PIZ c/n 3061 - crashed Resolute Bay

6 - August - 1964 - so is probably a bit early???

CF-BBL - c/n 3068 - crashed Stanwell-Fletcher Lake - "Somerset Island"

2 - June - 1974

and CF-SPL c/n 3072 - crashed Ellef Ringnes Island

18 - June - 1971

I could find no information further to BBL but did find a couple of info links (1 with reference to SPL crash) that you might like.

It seems no pilots were thrilled to fly this aircraft - seems small wheels and muddy rough strips don't combine well. Loved the bit about the insurance adjuster from Calgary!!

http://www.michenerawards.ca/english/re ... ontier.pdf

http://www.pilotweb.aero/features/flyin ... _1_3178910

This was the norm for those of us working in the arctic at the time!! I was a young AME for my time there but remember a lot of what was in the last article - especially the bit about the Twin Otters doing fuel caches. One of the things that always amazed me was the amount of fixed wing guys that thought the fuel caches were always for them!! In many cases we would be caching for helicopters with no thought for possible use by fixed wing aircraft. Was always interesting when a fixed wing aircraft would arrive low on fuel and land in some really tight spot (think helicopter landing area and fuel cache) - heavy braking is an understatement - and overboost take-off guaranteed - even after we cleared away some of the bigger rocks!!

Just another day - another job - in a very imperfect world!!

You got very good in a short period of time or you garnered the nickname "CRASH" - (or were very dead!!)

MX

You can train a monkey to ride a bicycle but you can't train it to fix it!!!
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I think Tofino Air operated one for short time.

flaps78
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flaps78 »

Good day,

The Dornier that is being referred to that crashed was;

Reg. - CF-SPL
Type -Do 28 A
Date: June 17, 1971
Owner / Operator - Northward Airlines
Pilot - Max ( last name intentionally with held)
Location: Malloch Dome per my log book. May of also been called Hoodo Dome?

The aircraft flipped onto it's back on landing. I was also employed by Northward and visited Malloch Dome with our AME on July 14, 1972 for the purpose of seeing what we could salvage. However, the engines and instruments had already been removed and were no where to be found. That is another story.

In 1973 I was again in Malloch Dome and the Dornier had been run over by some heavy equipment and the aircraft was left in the scrap pile.

I only flew the "Doornob" on floats.

DO-28A and B had the same fuselage

DO-28A - Lycoming 0-540, 250 hp, 2 bladed prop

DO-28B - Lycoming IO-540, 290 hp, 3 bladed prop

DO-28C - Proto type

DO-28D - was actually the Skyservant and was a completely different aircraft. Home Oil operated a Skyservant out of Field YYC around
1968 to 1972?

The only Operators that I am familar with who flew the 28A & B were;

Air Exec, Fort St John - CF-PIY, DO 28A. Note - the accident date at Charlie Lake was July 15, 1971.The aircraft was written off. 1 pax with a broked leg, pilot had a broken elbow, other 4 pax ok

Northward Aviation, Edmonton - CF-SPL, DO 28A

Shell Oil, Calgary - ?, DO 28B

Regards,

Flaps 78

GA MX Trainer Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Flaps 78

Do you remember "Don Hamilton?" - not the one who owned Airspray but was chief pilot for Northward etc.??

Link to his book here:

http://www.flyingoverloaded.ca/index.html

and here:

http://www.flyingoverloaded.ca/author.html

Link to an upside down Dornier here:

http://www.flyingoverloaded.ca/PhotoGallery1.htm#12

I met him once or twice - and always had problems with figuring out which of the Dons was being talked about when the stories started.

You might be able to identify the aircraft in the photo.

Best regards,

MX

flaps78
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flaps78 »

Hello MX,

Regretfully, I do not know the Don Hamilton that you are referring to. I did enjoy the "links" and wish that I cold write like him. The DO-28 on her back looks like SPL. I only met Mr. O'bryan once when I was a yong sprog at the Ft. Smith foat base in 1969. Buffalo's DC-3'S etc came later.

The CP that hired me at Northward was Doug Mackie (deceased). Doug left Northward to work for the NWT gov't as a Flight Safety Officer. He was replaced at Northward in late 1972 by Rocky Parsons.

Regards,

Flaps 78

duCapo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by duCapo »

One used to operate from the dock at Vancouver International when I was there in the early to mid-70's .... might have been on trial for Harrison Airways, but I'm far from sure.

Supposedly had good performance, but a bugger to dock in the conditions and places around the coast.
Tradewinds operated CF-WAB off the river in YVR in the early 70s. We had WAB at Parsons Airways in Flin Flon in the mid 70s for a couple of seasons. A different airplane, but certainly a good performer.

Rule #62 "Don't take yourself so damn seriously"
beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

Dec 30, 2014

A link to some Dornier information.

http://www.airplanemart.com/aircraft-hi ... -DO28.html

GA MX Trainer Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Didn't realize they did both a Walter turbine, a Lycoming turbine, and a PT-6 Conversion!!!

Looks like a cool aircraft for skydivers!!!

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contribut ... /10303.htm

Mx

Edit to add Lycoming turbine

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

Got a ride in the Skyservant. Was the first one in Canada. On a demo tour. , D-IBUL summer of 1967(?) . WOW, a real performer but I was only 17 at the time and every plane was a great performer. Fatal crash later that summer.

BH

beechnut
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by beechnut »

FIFT operated a Dornier as a Bird dog for the Mars for 1 season. It was not well received as it was not fast enough as well as the visibility down was not great for the pilot. The airplane was sold and ended up in the States.
Air Nootka in Gold River operated one as well for a short while it ended up in Nevada.

Cheers and Happy New Year
Beech

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

The airplane in the pic is either CF-WAN or CF-WAM, I can't quite make out the reg. Anyway, Wheeler Northland Airways imported three of them in 1963 or 1964, WAL, WAM and WAN. WAM was thrown over on it's back landing on the grass on floats before changeover, and WAL was wrecked during a test flight after the ailerons were cross rigged during an inspection. Both wrecks were stored at the Aircraft Industries hangar in St. Jean, south of Montreal. When Wheeler folded, Northern Wings wound up with the only flyable one, plus the two wrecks. In 1970 or 1971, Northern Wings trucked the remains of both airplanes to the Quebecair hangar in Montreal and Bill Gallichon rebuilt WAM using parts from both it and WAL. Wings sold both airplanes out west somewhere a couple of years later when they changed their name to Regionair and got rid of the bush division.

Beechnut, if you're talking to Eddy Williams he used to fly them for Northern Wings before he went out west, he'd know which one went where probably. Happy New Year to you too buddy.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”