Beech 18 on floats.

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Beech 18 on floats.

Post by Cat Driver »

You also mentioned you have no desire to fly the thing so shouldn't pax safety be one of your main concerns if somebody else will be operating the aircraft?
No I am not concerned about the safety of the operator of this airplane, because he is one of the highest time sea plane pilots in Canada, who like me has had an accident free career.

And he has owned and operated this B18 for over ten years here on the west coast.

This discussion has become circular so I am finished posting about the safety aspect of operating a B18 on floats.

Have a safe and happy new year. :D
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Why has no one mentioned the Emergency Exit mid way down the fuselage on the right side over the wing. There is also the rear door and some Beech's even had a rear door on both sides. There are 2 side windows in the cockpit that open and 6 or 8 plexiglass windows in the cabin that could be kicked out as well. The overhead hatch on the roof in the cockpit is not the only exit point. You guys make it sound like a collapsed cave would be easier to get out of.

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

How's it hangin Clguy?

Ever see Driving Rain around?

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
esp803

Post by esp803 »

Cat Driver wrote:My way of operating aircraft is don't crash them then getting out is not a problem.
For all your experience, this is the single dumbest thing I think you have ever posted on this site. Almost two years ago a lot of us lost a dear friend, who I dare say had almost as much experience as you. Nobody is infallible, not even you.

zeppelin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by zeppelin »

Think I'll go make some popcorn and sit and read this all night..The suspense is killing me..Whats coming next..It's more gripping than Who shot JR.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

At the risk of sounding insulting and aggravating... :roll:

I didn't realize there was a market for people that want to fly in vintage planes and go fishing... this is a fishing lodge, isn't it? Not sure if that was every clarified and I'm not going back to check. I also find it hard to believe. I would say there is a group that wants to fish and there are people who want to fly in old warbirds and will pay good money for it. I had the pleasure of sitting in the right seat of a B-24 last summer and it was probably the most enjoyment I've ever felt in an airplane. That being said, . and his business partner can do whatever they like and I'm sure they will.

The fact is, . knew all the pros and cons about all aircraft in the category he was searching in. We all know that. He started the thread to stir the pot as he so often does. Then when he found himself in a corner and was no longer able to defend his opinion, he resorts to telling us about having 30,000 hours, once having flown for a Hollywood movie and owned a flight training business. Not relevant to the topic, and rarely has it been the 1000 other times he's posted that information. It's obvious there are several other people that agree with me on the subject, but this site has turned into a hallway of your public high school, where it seems certain opinions are valued and others are not due to "forum status."

With regards to the safety aspect, as that's what this last page seems to have turned into, that was merely one small point why the Twin Beech might be considered inferior. Has everyone forgotten about performance, fuel burn, legal load, reliability, docking, fuel cost/availability, it's inability to effectively handle rough water, comfort, etc., etc., etc. I merely pointed these flaws out and maybe . was hoping everyone would praise the idea instead of point out the factual truth. I don't know.

Here's some food for thought. I work with an elderly gentleman with over 45,000 hours of flight time. My neighbour and his brother each have 30,000 + hours as well and have flown everything from Cessna's to 747's. Between the 3 of them, that's over 100,000 hours of time and a hell of a lot more float time than anyone on here. When I told each one of them there are still B 18's and Norseman flogging around Northern Ontario, their eyeballs nearly burst out of their head. They couldn't believe it. The idea was almost laughable. Now, are they right? Maybe. Maybe not. Their thoughts were the same as mine. Surely, there is a better option in this day in age. And they've all flown the Beech.

That being said, I like the Beech 18. A polished B 18 is probably the best looking thing on the water and the sound of the two 985's chugging away only adds to the flavour. But next time you post a topic on a public forum, think about whether or not you are going to like what you hear. If not, maybe shy away, but otherwise feel free. However, don't flame people just for voicing their opinions and pointing out the simple truth. Thank you for reminding me why I post so rarely on this site.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I didn't realize there was a market for people that want to fly in vintage planes and go fishing... this is a fishing lodge, isn't it?
No it is not...in fact it has nothing to do with fishing.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

We are building a high end corporate retreat facility for businesses to take groups to.

Generally the groups will be between 20 and 40 people and stays of between two days and a week.

Now that the Beech 18 idea has been thoroughly dissected and either praised or totally dismissed as a bad choice, maybe I should get some advice on the Bell 206 is that another bad idea? :smt040

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Well, I work next door to a helicopter company. When I started, 14 years ago, they were exclusively 204/205 and 206; now the 206s have been almost completely replaced by Astars....

(Sorry, couldn't resist! :D )

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Generally the groups will be between 20 and 40 people and stays of between two days and a week.
Mallard

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Advice, really Cat Driver
Why of course, just look at how many hits this subject gets.

Or would you rather we just pat each other on the backs and flying becomes a glee club where when someone lands gear up in a two crew airplane people just shrug and say shit happens? :rolleyes:

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

The original question was asking about a Beech 18 on floats compared to a Piston Otter or Beaver. I still stand by my original answer that it is better but if you plan on moving groups of up to 40 people every few days with one airplane then you are definitely looking at the wrong aircraft. Every aircraft mentioned is the wrong one if you are only talking one airplane. No corporations are going to want to waste 2 full days standing around on docks waiting to get all their people moved in and out of their meeting place. Doesn't matter if you decide to use any aircraft that has been discussed on this thread you are still looking at pretty much a whole day affair to move 40 people and that won't fly. They want to show up and board multiple aircraft and all move at once or as close to that as possible.

Not sure why we had to have this thread dragged through movie making, insurance policies, the merits of crashing or not, who has or had the longest dick just to realize that a one horse show is a bad idea.

Talked to Driving Rain the other day. He's living the dream in retirement.

Happy New Year!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

My take on this thread is simple. . and his partner have an airworthy Beech 18 parked on a fresh water lake near Nanaimo. They have a chance to put it to good use with minimal cash outlay. They are both aware of the age of the airplane, how turbine is preferential for a myriad of reasons, but don't have the moola to spring for one for a potential contract in front of them. Best short term option is to fire up the plane they have. Give that scenario, . was seeking input.

Did I get that right .?

bmc
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Did I get that right .?
Exactly......

What we are doing is quite simple......my friend who I grew up with is a businessman who wants to build a very high class corporate retreat because that is his dream in retirement, he has brought me into the company as a partner who he trusts.

The last thing on planet earth he would do is get involved in owning a commercial aircraft business because the return for the effort is not worth it in his opinion.

Randy is training him and his daughter and son to be sea plane pilots and Bob likes Randy.....so it follows that we will use Randy's Beech when we have need for it.

The bulk of our charter work will be out of Vancouver using Turbine aircraft....mostly Heli Jet when they are available.

I am not really wired for the internet and almost always end up in petty squabbles with internet shadows who in the grand scheme of things are just that imitation people on the internet.

When I get to the point where I think I need to justify my opinion I get into my background which of course makes me look like a know it all asshole and self important egotist.

Conversely why should I be ashamed of having had a very successful career where I worked for some of the biggest business in the world?

Anyhow you nailed it bmc. :mrgreen:

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

Cat Driver wrote:
Did I get that right .?
Exactly......

What we are doing is quite simple......my friend who I grew up with is a businessman who wants to build a very high class corporate retreat because that is his dream in retirement, he has brought me into the company as a partner who he trusts.

The last thing on planet earth he would do is get involved in owning a commercial aircraft business because the return for the effort is not worth it in his opinion.

Randy is training him and his daughter and son to be sea plane pilots and Bob likes Randy.....so it follows that we will use Randy's Beech when we have need for it.

The bulk of our charter work will be out of Vancouver using Turbine aircraft....mostly Heli Jet when they are available.

I am not really wired for the internet and almost always end up in petty squabbles with internet shadows who in the grand scheme of things are just that imitation people on the internet.

When I get to the point where I think I need to justify my opinion I get into my background which of course makes me look like a know it all asshole and self important egotist.

Conversely why should I be ashamed of having had a very successful career where I worked for some of the biggest business in the world?

Anyhow you nailed it bmc. :mrgreen:

....have a great 2015. We've both known Randy for a long time. He's a smart guy. Just got a message from him a few minutes ago. I hope to be out on the island in the spring once the chemo is done. I have get to Nanaimo and break bread with you two. It's been too long.

Keep the blue side up.

Brian

bmc
doan_1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by doan_1 »

As an island flier, I'd love to be a fly on the wall of that bread breaking between giants BMC. Just saying. And I for one would definitely take the B18's classic class and appeal. Especially cause its also the frugally responsible choice. But then again I'm just a 34 year old with 193 hours, so I'm sure my opinion is worth 0.0000001 of a vote :prayer:

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”