New Routes coming for Westjet

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

New Routes coming for Westjet

Post by Longtimer »

anuary 18, 2015 5:00 AM - Financial - Media Advisories - Airlines/Aviation - Leisure - Travel

SAVE
/R E P E A T - Media Advisory - WestJet to make announcement on new routes/
CALGARY, Jan. 16, 2015 /CNW/ - WestJet invites members of the media to join airline executives, airport officials and other representatives for an important announcement at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport on Monday, January 19, 2015.

WHAT:
WestJet announcement

WHEN:
Monday, January 19, 2015, at 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. AST

WHERE:
Observation Deck, Halifax Stanfield International Airport, 1 Bell Blvd, Enfield, Nova Scotia

INTERVIEWS:
Representatives from WestJet, the Halifax Stanfield International Airport and other agencies.

NOTE TO MEDIA:
Media representatives are invited to join WestJet for a quick adventure from approximately 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., directly after the media event. Email media@westjet.com for more information and to RSVP prior to Monday.
---------- ADS -----------

jetsetfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Routes coming for Westjet

Post by jetsetfly »

Few more European Destinations coming online for 737 Flying

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

I would more expect to see something on the Encore side of things.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

It will be encore.

share-once
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by share-once »

Just back from PVR. 5 hrs on a cramped 737 without a meal svc etc. Imagine going on a longer flight...no thanks.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

share-once wrote:Just back from PVR. 5 hrs on a cramped 737 without a meal svc etc. Imagine going on a longer flight...no thanks.
They were helping you get a head start on your post vaca weight loss.

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

It very well could be encore. Not sure what all the media hype would be. It's not like it isn't served already by WJ. I could see a new Europe destination would be a media alert but encore? Yawn

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I read a news story. One of the places is Gander and I believe Dallas may be in there as well.

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

Here is the news release. Nothing Major unless you count Houston as being Major and with the decline of oil (less business travel from YYC) that could well be a good route to travel as a con. 8)
anuary 19, 2015 4:00 AM - Financial - New Products & Services - Airlines/Aviation - Leisure - Travel

SAVE
Don't let the "West" in WestJet fool you
WestJet announces largest increase in service to Halifax since first landing in 2003

CALGARY, Jan. 19, 2015 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced the largest increase in service from Halifax Stanfield International Airport since the airline first arrived in February 2003. This announcement, part of the 2015 summer schedule release, makes it official – WestJet Encore is now serving Canadians coast to coast.

"Halifax is at the core of our service increase across Atlantic Canada, now marking WestJet Encore's presence from coast to coast," said Ferio Pugliese, President, WestJet Encore. "Within two years of the launch of WestJet Encore, and with the support of our guests and the hard work of WestJetters across the country, we will have grown from two aircraft serving five cities in Western Canada to 16 aircraft serving more than 20 destinations across Canada. Our research shows that in the twelve months after the launch of WestJet Encore in to new markets, traffic rose as high as 55 per cent while fares decreased as much as 40 per cent. It illustrates the value we are bringing to Canadians."

"Our current reach means we are bringing lower fares and more choices for air travel to more communities. As we continue to foster a competitive market with high-value, low-fare options and strong connectivity to the wider WestJet network, Canadians can expect great things in 2015 from Canada's fastest-growing airline," concluded Pugliese.

"It's always a wonderful day when we can expand our air service here at Halifax Stanfield," says Joyce Carter, Halifax International Airport Authority President and CEO. "This commitment by WestJet is an expression of their confidence in Halifax and all of Atlantic Canada."

The airline continues to bolster its presence in the Atlantic Provinces where the majority of route and frequency increases announced today take place. New non-stop daily service from Halifax to Gander and Deer Lake, Newfoundland and Sydney, Nova Scotia begins July 15, 2015, along with increased frequency between Halifax and Ottawa, Toronto and St. John's, Newfoundland. Cities currently served from Halifax include Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Ontario, and six U.S. and international destinations.

Haligonians will also help WestJet celebrate new service between their fair city and Glasgow, United Kingdom, beginning May 29, 2015. As the halfway point between Europe and the west coast of North America, Halifax is the perfect jumping-off point for a tour across the pond.

Details of new daily non-stop service between Halifax and Glasgow, United Kingdom:

Route
Frequency
Departing
Arriving
Effective
Halifax – Glasgow
Daily
10:45 p.m.
8:00 a.m. (+1)
May 29, 2015
Glasgow – Halifax
Daily
9:30 a.m.
11:45 a.m.
May 30, 2015

Details of new daily non-stop service between Halifax and Gander:

Route
Frequency
Departing
Arriving
Effective
Halifax – Gander
Daily
8:50 p.m.
11:03 p.m.
July 15, 2015
Gander – Halifax
Daily
5:25 a.m.
6:54 a.m.
July 16, 2015

aking care of business, at home and abroad
WestJet announces new service to Houston, Texas and Gander, Newfoundland

CALGARY, Jan. 19, 2015 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced two new destinations - Houston, Texas and Gander, Newfoundland - as part of the 2015 summer schedule release. The airline adds a total of nine new routes and increased frequency on 15 established routes.

"We know that 2015 will be driven by competition on every level, and we are ready," said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President, Sales, Marketing and Guest Experience. "Houston and Gander will connect more people, more often, to established and emerging energy markets, and we continue to improve service for our growing number of business travellers. WestJet resumes service to Dublin and launches service to Glasgow this spring as we further build our European presence, while WestJet Encore now reaches across Canada with the routes announced today. We are an airline experiencing a very exciting evolution that will bring the strength of our low-cost, people-driven guest experience into more markets."

Houston and Gander may seem like they sit on opposite ends of the spectrum, but the two destinations have more in common than expected. Houston is a big player in the global energy sector, making it a natural choice for new, non-stop jet service from Calgary. Gander is a small but mighty town, now the third WestJet destination in the province, set to benefit from the growth of Newfoundland's offshore oil boom and the established business-traveller market between Alberta and the "Rock". Service to Gander from Toronto and Halifax completes WestJet Encore's progression across Canada – now operating coast-to-coast while bringing lower fares and better connections from British Columbia to Newfoundland.

"As an airline, WestJet takes the route less travelled by preparing in good times for the potentially tough ones ahead," said WestJet Vice-President, Revenue Management, Paul Harvalias. "Last year we promised we would drop fares, and we followed through by lowering the price of more than six million seats across our network. The fares offered today also reflect on that promise; in addition to ultra-low introductory fares for routes like Houston and Gander, or for our European destinations, we have incredibly competitive pricing across the network throughout the year."

Guests in Atlantic Canada benefit from a market stimulated by lower fares, more flight options and greater connectivity as WestJet introduces more flights. WestJet launches its second year of competitive rates to Europe when flights resume between St. John's and Dublin on May 1, 2015, and new flights between Halifax and Glasgow begin May 29, 2015. Halifax sees its largest increase in service beginning July 15, 2015, with new routes to Gander and Deer Lake, Newfoundland, and Sydney, Nova Scotia, as well as increased frequency to St. John's, Ottawa and Toronto. New WestJet flights between Toronto and Gander begin May 3, 2015, a new WestJet Encore route between Ottawa and Moncton begins July 15, 2015, and service between Toronto and Fredericton, announced last July, begins April 15, 2015.

In addition to non-stop flights to Houston, growth in Western Canada includes new daily non-stop flights from Calgary to Yellowknife and Terrace, BC, launching May 3, 2015. WestJet Encore service between Edmonton and Kamloops, BC, announced early last year, is set to begin on February 15, 2015ly. Please see westjet.com for full details.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

ant_321 wrote:I read a news story. One of the places is Gander and I believe Dallas may be in there as well.
Dallas is already served seasonally in the summer months.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Double Post... :roll:

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

This answers my earlier question in another thread whether Encore is hitting the US.

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

share-once wrote:Just back from PVR. 5 hrs on a cramped 737 without a meal svc etc. Imagine going on a longer flight...no thanks.
I thought YYT-Dub was blocked at 4:25?

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Airline expansion is always positive news for the folks at the new destinations as there will be some competition and, no doubt added employment.

Good on WJ

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

twinpratts wrote:
I flew a 7hr flight eastbound across the Atlantic in a half empty 767 the other day. The meals sucked, to the point where I didn't touch the dinner service, and I had no more personal space in Y in a 767 than I would have had in a 737.

8)

UNS1C
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UNS1C »

Good timing on the Gander flights as AC schedule shows it's pulling mainline service for this summer.........bummer!

dukepoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dukepoint »

Realitychex wrote:
twinpratts wrote:
I flew a 7hr flight eastbound across the Atlantic in a half empty 767 the other day. The meals sucked, to the point where I didn't touch the dinner service, and I had no more personal space in Y in a 767 than I would have had in a 737.

8)
You're a bit of a knob. 8)

Let me guess, the 737 you intended to fly on with 36" seat pitch was hammered with super happy, well fed guests eating off Royal Doulton China, and there was no room for you. :)

DP.

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Realitychex wrote:
twinpratts wrote:

8)
Mark, we all know you probably formed your opinion well before getting on the aircraft.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

8)[/quote]

Mark, we all know you probably formed your opinion well before getting on the aircraft.[/quote]

I flew a westbound 5hr B767 trip across the country, the ac was full, I had plenty of personal space, the snack served filled the hole, beer and wine went down good, overall service from start to finish was great......... so there.

Raven. Your coffee is terrible, what is it third tier Tommothy's or Second Cup rejects from the mass brewed stuff found in North Mississauga. It tasted like the house wines that I had on a resort in the Dominican Republic, I swear to Christ that stuff was fermented from dog berries. Jeez,I drank much better coffee coming out of YZF a few years back on Canadian North.

:drinkers:

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

Wow. People sure are sensitive around here.

My bad. They were 2-4-2 A330's from a US SE hub to LHR and back.

My comments stand, and ditto on the westbound leg. Empty flights. Really empty.

The lavs were bigger though....

8)

Return to “WestJet”