Encore AME jobs

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Encore AME jobs

Post by YYCAME »

I think the real wage slowdowns in the industry are probably tied to the Air Canada layoffs and wage concessions indirectly. Then if you factor in unions being unable to use strike powers for our 'essential' service you get this trickle down effect from the big unionized places who were unable to maintain their current wage scales with inflation.

The reason people will take the low paying jobs is because they know only experience will get them ahead. Sure you can go drive a forklift or something but then you know you will never have a chance at a more interesting job and honestly for most people that would feel like just giving up.
---------- ADS -----------

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

His business plan is to compete with Greyhound with airplanes at the expense of the employee's.
Without a doubt the most ignorant statement I've heard yet by you PR.
You really should go back to school and take an Economics course or something.

"at the expense of the employees"... :lol:

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Thank you!

So nice to hear from you, it's been too long.

Toodles

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

:lol: ...and still the light is out...

alright here's something to think about Pat:

...NO AIRLINE COMPETING, NO EMPLOYEES!

ryolanovitch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ryolanovitch »

At Canadian North we just started an apprentice fresh from SAIT at $24hr.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Cariboo in YYC starts appies at ~19. Then 23 bucks after 6 months. Sugar coat it all you like, Encore is simply too cheap.

I know a couple folks working over there, mostly management types that got onboard from the get-go. They seem to be doing well....but I personally couldn't justify taking a 10+ dollar pay cut just to work on some new Qs and cheap trips to Grande Prairie....

Last edited by plhought on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Cariboo in YYC starts appies at ~19.
Encore's lowest pay starts at $22.16...in Fredericton....with zero experience.

Now...compare the cost of living in Fredericton to Calgary

management types that go onboard from the get-go.
...and another brilliant statement.

If you want to be a good successfull employee at a new company do not get "onboard" with their policies and goals from the get go, do not become a team player and do not aspire to become "management type"...

another head scratcher... :smt017

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

I don't mean the term "management types" to be derogatory, these are individuals who were very much involved in the whole development of the maintenance operation and came straight from actually turning wrenches at other outfits to the then unnamed regional operation. I'm not sure where ya get this idea that you have to be a sour employee and strive to not be involved in the company. I'm not encouraging that at all. I'm just saying that the higher floor and management positions seem to be pretty well remunerated, but the standard ACA position wage still seems a little low.

Like I said above, Cariboo brings the apprentices up to 23 after six months. Yes 19 sucks at first fair enough.

How many apprentices has Encore hired in Fredericton since it's inception? True fresh-out-of-school types? I would be comfortable hazarding a guess of zero.

In fact I would be surprised if Encore had even hired any true apprentices in Calgary either. I imagine there's some pretty experienced non-ACA individuals hired...but I wouldn't really classify them as apprentices.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

How many apprentices has Encore hired in Fredericton since it's inception? True fresh-out-of-school types? I would be comfortable hazarding a guess of zero.
Then why are you using Cariboo apprentice wages as your argument against Encore???
Like I said above, Cariboo brings the apprentices up to 23 after six months. Yes 19 sucks at first fair enough.
If you make $3.16/ hr more for six months and then after 12 months get a raise to $24.16 an Encore junior mechanic is still making more than a Caroboo apprentice.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

Enough with making it personal.
Bandaid.

Dash8300
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash8300 »

I understand there were some layoffs at North Cariboo. Does anyone know if they were apprentices or licensed AMEs? Endorsed on anything? Was it the "bottom of the list" who were let go? For anyone who is looking, Encore has posted some pretty good positions lately, like Airworthiness Manager and Inspector Crew Lead, and is hiring. We are still in growth mode and adding several new airplanes this year. We are also expanding East and looking for AMEs in Toronto. Check out the postings on westjet.com under great jobs at the bottom of the page.

motox415
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by motox415 »

Don't know where you are getting your info but there has been no layoff's as of today at North Cariboo. Does Encore pay better then U.I?

Dash8300
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash8300 »

Pretty good source for the information on layoffs.

Before I can comment on the Encore pay vs EI, I would need way more information. What is the pay rate for an NC apprentice? AME? AME with single endorsement? AME with dual endorsement? I had the information a couple years ago and don't imagine it's changed significantly. I know it used to top at about $44 after 12 years for an AME with two endorsements.
What is a person on EI paid?

Whether working at Encore at perhaps a reduced rate is better than EI is a decision for the AME to make. NC being tied to camp charters means they are a bit challenged right now. Encore is in growth mode and, with a history at WJ of no layoffs, even during slow economic times, there are great opportunities for growth and opportunity. You also have the option to move to WJ for expanded opportunities.

motox415
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by motox415 »

NCA rates as follows:

Apprentice: $18.54 - $22.76
AME single endorsement: $25.00 - $43.00
dual endorsed: $27.00 - $44.00
+ $1.00 Lead Hand, +$2.00 for Crew Chief.

Dash8300
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash8300 »

How many steps in each scale for each position? That's important to know.

It seems to me from what I saw, it takes about 10 years to reach the top step? That strategy is better for the employer. Reaching the top step in fewer years is better for the employee.

General compensation philosophy in the aviation business means a comparison is done with other similar operators. Some companies compare every step, some compare the top step and the bottom step, and fill in the steps in between. As you are probably aware, aviation has been struggling to compete on wages with other "Red Seal" type trades and with the demise of airline operators in Canada and the competitive nature of our industry, it has historically been a real challenge to get compensation increased significantly.

I just found the information I have on NC pay. It looks like the rates have not changed since 2012.
It would take 15 years with a license to reach the top step and the only increases have been to the bottom of the apprentice scale and to the Crew Chief premium.

I will be posting what I can in regards to Encore pay scales later.

motox415
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by motox415 »

Dash8300: It takes approx. 13 years to reach top pay scale if you are a newly licensed AME. I agree with your statements concerning company policy and pay increments. Advertizing top wage is only part of the equation. More important is how long will it take to get there.

Also part of the problem is where in the wage scale can you put New Hires without pissing off the people that have been at the company for years. With NCA for example if you have been licensed for more then ten years you would be placed in the $36.00 - $38.00 hr pay scale. Each year after you would be getting a $1.00 - $2.00 hr increase to the $44.00 rate. Not sure how this compares with other companies.

Obviously the recent pay increases at Encore will keep the people presently working there. I have seen a dramatic decrease in Encore resumes coming across my desk in the last few months.

Dash8300
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash8300 »

Encore Apprentice starts between $18.70 and $19.71 depending on experience and how close you are to a license.
Encore AME starts between $22.48 and $27.41 depending on experience.
Encore Inspector Crew Lead starts at $34.76.
Encore Aircraft Maintenance Lead starts at $36.41.

ACA premium is a percentage of base pay that starts at 7% and increases with years of experience with the ACA. All licensed positions attract the ACA premium. There's also Profit Share and Employee Share Purchase.

I think the Encore pay rates are better than E.I.

If anyone is interested, I would encourage you to apply. Current job positions are posted online at westjet.com under great jobs at the bottom of the page. The recruiter can fill you in on additional pay steps and other job information.

motox415
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by motox415 »

Dash: Let's say an AME that has been licensed for 15 years with a Q400 endorsement walked in and wanted a job on the floor. What would his wage be? $27.41?? If so those are E.I wages!

NCA would pay $38.00 hr. No gimmicks with profit sharing or share options or 7% this or that. Just money in pocket. Because of this NCA has been able to attract a lot of good AME's.

Judging by the fact you are talking bullshit about NCA laying off AME's and at the same time pumping Encore has a smell of desperation. Obviously Encore is having some challenges finding people. All you have to do is read the last 11 pages.

I look forward to sitting back and watching your fleet expansion into YYZ. Good luck finding good people with the above mentioned wage structure.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

+1 motox415

Anything under $30 an hour is crap money for an experienced AME so no kidding their issues finding people are bad enough that one of their own attempts to pump them up in a thread bashing them. Why no ad's in the employment section? That would at least look somewhat professional. The proud westjet mentality must be interfering with posting vacancies on avcanada or maybe they have read this thread. Encore wages still suck and it looks like everybody still knows it.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

The proud westjet mentality must be interfering with posting vacancies on avcanada 
Ok... :roll:

Return to “Maintenance”