LA pics

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related videos and photos.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

LA pics

Post by CpnCrunch »

When we were in LA recently, I booked a flight with Ali from Santa Monica Aviation. I was planning on doing the flying and radio, but eventually gave up on trying to decipher what the controllers were saying and let Ali handle that.

Griffith Park:

Lake Hollywood:

Buzzing downtown (actually 2500ft):

KSMO (taken a few years ago):

---------- ADS -----------

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: LA pics

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Good times. I used AFI out at Fullerton a few years ago. What were the rates at Santa Monica?

The people at AFI were very accommodating but scared me off of landing at Catalina because they thought I would freak out about the "over priced" landing fee. Pretty funny it was only $25.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

You can see the various rates on their website for their planes. I flew "kermit" their 160hp 172M, which was $117/hr. Total price including taxes for one hours was US$205 - $130 for plane and $75 for instructor. Normally there is a $10 landing fee, but he didn't charge me for that, as I gave him a nice easy Sunday morning flight without inducing any heart attacks :) He said I can take the plane myself next time.

Ali is a great guy and very accommodating, I'd definitely recommend SM Aviation. I preferred to use a small, friendly flight school, and SM Aviation was exactly how I imagined it would be.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Wow... that is impressive visibility for LA!

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

There were Santa Ana winds all week, which probably helped to keep the air clear. Also, LA has very strict smog checks these days - you have to get a "smog check" done on your car every so often. Obviously if you're flying a 172 you can pump out as much smog and lead as you like, but there's a hell of a lot more cars than planes :)

A lot of the freeways near downtown turn into parking lots in the afternoon. The junction between the Santa Monica freeway and the San Diego freeway is particularly bad (and that's exactly where KSMO is located). This year the traffic seemed a bit worse than usual - I think the good economy and cheap gas are the cause.

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

You got to love all the heliports.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

FenderManDan wrote:You got to love all the heliports.
Yeah, there's helicopters buzzing around the Hollywood hills all the time. I guess that's the only way to travel, if you can afford it.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

My wife sent her camera when I went. After the flight there is was un opened on the back seat. :oops:

ewhitten
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ewhitten »

What a big city and some great pictures

Return to “Aviation Videos & Photos”