Northern BC Sheep/caribou strips

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Cantrap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Northern BC Sheep/caribou strips

Post by Cantrap »

Hey guys,

Im hoping to put some pins on the map for off airport strips in good sheep country up in northern bc. I would really appreciate any help. Lakes, gravel bars, or moutain side bush wheel stuff would be great!!

Mike
---------- ADS -----------

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Northern BC Sheep/caribou strips

Post by PointyEngine »

Sounds like a great idea, and I'm sure you aware of the regs about flying into hunting areas and time limitations before you can "pop one off"? Also check to make sure you're not in an outfitters backyard, or he might just "pop you off".

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Pointy. A rather uninformed response. I know almost every outfitter in northern BC and they would be the first to lend a hand to anyone in need. Might be a bit grumpy but they wouldn't strand you. Good try though. Paint something else with your broad brush.

Cantrap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cantrap »

i'm not a BC resident yet, but i would like to move there soon. i'd like to get a few flights under my belt into areas just for scouting/camping..."practice runs". i know there will be a handful of very knowledgeable pilots on hear that will be willing to help a guy out. if we dont want them publisized please P.M me.

Thanks

Mike

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Hmmm. If I knew of a good place to go land and go sheep hunting in northern BC, I personally wouldn't tell anyone about it. Least of all someone who just moved in. Nothing personal, but that's how it is. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

A better idea would be to get involved with some of the folks who live there already, make friends, mb join a local fish and game association. Try not to come off as the guy who just moved in and can hardly wait to go shoot one of everything, rather try to make it clear you re there for the long term and interested in the country and the game. (That's true right?)

Then maybe people will be interested in giving advice.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

Meddler wrote:Hmmm. If I knew of a good place to go land and go sheep hunting in northern BC, I personally wouldn't tell anyone about it. Least of all someone who just moved in. Nothing personal, but that's how it is. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
I do not know all the outfitters in NBC but I do know a lot around Atlin, Teslin and Dease Lake. While prospecting i found them the most helpful people. They wanted to know where you were operating so that they were aware of any potential conflicts with their clients. I doubt they would give advice on where to hunt, but I do know they had no issues with other (legal) hunters operating within their franchise.

And I am very sure they will give you accurate details on any and all airstrips within their area.

YMMV
LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”