External Loads on wheels

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

External Loads on wheels

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I was always under the impression that it couldn't be done in Canada, is that true? I see an interesting market if this is ever allowed here.

A Kiwi adventure pilot who decided to strap mountain bikes under the wings of his plane is surprised to find himself suddenly world famous.

Mit Brereton, 27, hired a Manawatu engineering company to install bike racks under both wings of his 53-year-old Cessna six-seater when he bought a little Takaka-based company, Adventure Flights Golden Bay, three years ago.

A photo of the plane carrying bikes, posted on the company's Facebook page two years ago, has suddenly gone viral.

Mr Brereton, who worked as a mineral exploration pilot before buying the company, believes his plane is the only one in the world that carries bikes on the outside. He flies cyclists in to the Heaphy Track during the track's mountain biking season from May to September.

"I came up with the idea," he said.

"The bikes are a bit big and bulky and they are difficult to carry. It's only a six-seater and by the time you get five or six people in the plane there's not a lot of room for the bikes."

A Civil Aviation Authority spokesman said the bike racks had approval.

- NZ Herald
---------- ADS -----------

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: External Loads on wheels

Post by Hornblower »

There is no prohibition against external loads in Canada except in 703.25, which would only potentially limit external loads with pax onboard ... wheels, floats, whatever.

Beavers had optional with external stores racks on the wings, and were used by many for dropping loads into remote areas. I have seen pics of Beavers dropping fence posts in the Aussi outback.

That particular 185 setup looks a bit kooky, but seems to work for the guy. Likely would have a hard time passing it by TC for an STC if you wanted to do it under 703 with pax onboard. If TC hasn't seen it before, it would be pretty well impossible to get them to approve it. And there are not many at TC anymore who would have carried an external load ... at least none that would admit to it.

Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Hornblower »

There is no prohibition against external loads in Canada except in 703.25, which would only potentially limit external loads with pax onboard ... wheels, floats, whatever.

Beavers had optional external stores racks on the wings, and were used by many for dropping loads into remote areas. I have seen pics of Beavers dropping fence posts in the Aussi outback.

That particular 185 setup looks a bit kooky, but seems to work for the guy. Likely would have a hard time passing it by TC for an STC if you wanted to do it under 703 with pax onboard. If TC hasn't seen it before, it would be pretty well impossible to get them to approve it. And there are not many at TC anymore who would have carried an external load ... at least none that would admit to it.

New_PIC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by New_PIC »

What kind of hoops would someone have to jump through to get the bike racks attached to a plane in Canada? Wouldn't there have to be some supporting structure added inside the wing too? Without knowing anything about aeronautical engineering it still seems like this is a bit trickier than just tying something to a float strut.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Back in the good old days, I remember seeing a picture where someone was either attempting or succeded in getting approval to carry a canoe externally on a Beaver. It appears like they strapped it somehow to the side of the fuselage. Never ever heard of the program again so maybe it did not work.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Leightonzook
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Leightonzook »

I get kind of disgusted with general aviation any more. People don't know how to fly out side the box and assume no body else knows how eather. I have told a few people about some of the mountain sides I have landed on and people look at me as if I was crazy or telling lies. When I flew for a mission in Guatemala it was normal to land on 1500' strips on slopping runways at an elivation of 6500' full. The most I had was 9 people in the airplane and 3 goats in the belly pod. External loads arnt that big a deal as long as you know what you are doing. Go find some old guy who has done it for years and get the low down on how to do it. As far as weather it is legal or not isn't the issue. If we need to change the laws then let's do it and not bad mouth those who are using an airplane like it was ment to fly. Just my two cents.

Just because you can't fly it straight dosn't mean it's the planes fault
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Leightonzook wrote:As far as whether (sic) it is legal or not isn't the issue.

Whether or not this is legal in Canada is EXACTLY the issue. I saw something I thought was cool from somewhere else in the world, and posted it here for people to discuss.
Leightonzook wrote:If we need to change the laws then let's do it and not bad mouth those who are using an airplane like it was ment to fly.
I fail to see anyone bad mouthing anyone on this thread, except maybe you assuming nobody else can fly "outside the box"

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

The NZ CAA can be a bit of fun to deal with at the best of times, and they allowed it. I'm sure if you got in touch with Mit and got the tech specs of what exactly was done, and documents from the CAA, Transport Canada would allow a similar operation.
It is used commercially, so I would assume there would be some flight testing required to prove it doesn't mess up flight characteristics, similar to certifying a new type for external loads on floats.

http://www.adventureflightsgoldenbay.co ... s_MTB.html

Leightonzook
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Leightonzook »

I didn't mean to say others can't fly as good as me. I try my best and have lots to learn. I just get a little tired of people saying we can't do this or that when the airplane is very capable of doing it. Maby it should be a rating on our Lic :smt040
Ps. I thing is awesome when somebody comes up with a new way to us an airplane. Way to go guys

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I knew an out-of-the-box pilot who flew in Guatemala.

He died there.... suddenly.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

iflyforpie wrote:I knew an out-of-the-box pilot who flew in Guatemala.

He died there.... suddenly.
Haha this is true, there's always the odd occasion when it doesn't work out, then everyone sits around the camp fire and calls him an idiot.

However Wilbur Wright thought outside the box, and who ever had the bizarre idea to strap pontoons onto a plane deserves a beer as well!

Leightonzook
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Leightonzook »

Flying is a lot like math. 1+2 =3. But unlike my math teacher thought as we grow we also learn that 5-2=3 and 6-3=3. So we all keep learning different ways to always come up with the same numbers and if we don't get the numbers it don't work no mater how good of a pilot we are

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”