737 headset

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

IflyaSewerpipe
Rank 2
Rank 2

737 headset

Post by IflyaSewerpipe »

I need a noise cancelling headset. The telex 750 isn't cutting it for me on this machine. What are you guys/gals on the 737 using?
---------- ADS -----------

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: 737 headset

Post by Go Guns »

I have the predecessor to this Sennheiser and I love it.

http://en-ca.sennheiser.com/aviation-he ... ed-hmec-26

I would consider the new D/C as well. I've flown with some guys that have them, they look nice.

http://www.davidclark.com/Store/Product ... uctID=1028

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Telex 850, doesn't use batteries which is a huge plus in my book.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Telex Ascend.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

I used a Telex 750 for over 12 years and 8000 hours in the Boeing 737 2/3/4/5/6/7/800 and it was great. So I upgraded to the Telex 850 but was very disappointed in it. The audio reception was so "muffled" at times that it was unreadable so I would go back to the "old" 750 and get clear audio reception! Three times I sent the 850 back to Telex for repair and the last time I received a new a new head set but still experience the same "muffled" audio reception. Now it may be the interface in the Boeing NG and may work fine in other aircraft. I have also heard some people get along fine with the 850 while others had the same issues I did.

I finally gave up on the Telex 850 and bought a David Clarke Pro X and am very happy with it. Clear reception, light weight, and comfortable to wear on one or both ears. And it is David Clarke which has been a reliable and durable headset for years! Lots of pilots still have a good working DC headset that is over 25 years old!

Got mine from Aircraft Spruce however and here are a few other stores

Aircraft Spruce Canada http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/av ... -pro-x.php

Threshhold Aviation close to YYZ http://www.thresholdaviation.com/dc-pro-x-hybrid-enc/

Sporty's Pilot Shop https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/david ... adset.html

I also tried the Bose A20 and found it to be very clear and comfortable. However I also found it to be awkward to wear with one ear off and bulky in the Boeing flight deck.

Almost all headsets come with a 30 day or more return warranty.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Bose A20 for 3.5 years. Love it and wish I had it sooner.

CD1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CD1 »

Don't waste your time with the rest, go with the best. Bose. Most guys are using the intercom now, there's still a few guys who aren't. I have an older Bose X, it works like a dream and have had it for years.

CD

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

If guys really are using the intercom, I suggest Clarity Aloft. Makes any "headclamp" design seem like a medieval torture device by comparison. Noise attenuation comparable to active systems, but that really only factors in a cockpit a lot noisier than an NG.

No batteries, no sweaty ears, and bonus feature: no headset head!

http://www.clarityaloft.com/pages/aviation-headsets

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
IflyaSewerpipe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by IflyaSewerpipe »

Great! Thanks for the replies. I will look into those headset models.

Liking the DC

highlander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by highlander »

I started with the telex 750, then went to the 850..... unfortunately one of the jacks failed and it was past warranty. I decided to do some shopping around.

I eventually decided upon the David Clark Pro X. I'm very happy with it. I get approximately 50 hours out of the batteries. The noise cancelling is awesome. I paid about 700 for it. I ordered it through a shop in Oshawa. Bose would defintely be a close 2nd for me....it was just slightly out of my price range.

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

Telex 850 has been a great headset. No batteries and half decent noise cancelling. However I bought a poor mans Bose A20 (QC25-UflyMic) and it is far superior.

No Quarter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Quarter »

Last edited by No Quarter on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

BOSE QC15 with a Uflymike.

newcanjeter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by newcanjeter »

Yes the Clarity Aloft is awesome! You can have one earpiece in one out if the other guy doesn't want to use intercom or a visitor comes up. Its takes up no room in the flight bag(I ditched the case in favor of a Tupperware container), weighs nothing and I can even make out the Cuban clearances....occasionally! I know a guy that uses his in the A320 buy night and C185 by day. Swears by it.

Return to “WestJet”