Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Air Transat hiring and Groundschool 2015

Post by complexintentions »

yo all!

Wasn't being facetious in my comments, I simply had a look at the posting and the

"Essential bilingualism (French and English spoken"

seemed pretty unequivocal and unambiguous. Not with the word "preferred" as is often used when there is wiggle room. But anecdotally it would seem that it is indeed a rule that is at least slightly flexible depending on circumstance.

Don't think I'll be able to pull my CV and docs together for this hiring window though anyway.
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Dirty Harold
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dirty Harold »

Thanks FL320 and Jean-Luc for the helpful info!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:I'm doing TS550 today from YUL. Listen to the comms. They are in English.

Never flown on AT, but was talking to a couple other week who did. Flew over to Italy on some sort of vacation package, they thought the service and overall experience was quite good and wouldn't hesitate using AT services again and would recommend them.........

whatsitdoingnow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whatsitdoingnow »

Last edited by whatsitdoingnow on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

whatsitdoingnow wrote:How is the start and first few years pay at Transat?

There seems to be some conflicting info on Pilot central regarding pay. Can anyone list other benefits?

Cheers
Like most carriers in Canada harsh for the first few years. this is pretty close, based on 80 hours min guarantee at the hourly rate for narrow body F/O's

Year 1 $50K
Year 2 $55K
Year 3 $59K
Year 4 $63K
Year 5 $66K
Year 6 $70K
Year 7 $73K
Year 8 $76K
Year 9 $80K
Year 10 $83K

Wide Body payscales are the same for the first 2 years, then get a bit better. Transat seems like a good place to work now that the possibility is that you won't get laid off all the time during your first few years, but the pay scale will make it hard to attract candidates with from other 705 operators.

I don't work there but I believe that information to be accurate.

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

tbaylx wrote:
whatsitdoingnow wrote:How is the start and first few years pay at Transat?

There seems to be some conflicting info on Pilot central regarding pay. Can anyone list other benefits?

Cheers
Like most carriers in Canada harsh for the first few years. this is pretty close, based on 80 hours min guarantee at the hourly rate for narrow body F/O's

Year 1 $50K
Year 2 $55K
Year 3 $59K
Year 4 $63K
Year 5 $66K
Year 6 $70K
Year 7 $73K
Year 8 $76K
Year 9 $80K
Year 10 $83K

Wide Body payscales are the same for the first 2 years, then get a bit better. Transat seems like a good place to work now that the possibility is that you won't get laid off all the time during your first few years, but the pay scale will make it hard to attract candidates with from other 705 operators.

I don't work there but I believe that information to be accurate.
There are currently 26 permanent 737 FOs on that scale. Out of those 26, 13 are relatively senior pilots that bid 73 to be based in YUL. So ultimately, there are only 13 Junior FOs on that scale involuntarily. That is out of 450-odd pilots. We are working on single-payscale, so just ignore those numbers.
FL320 wrote:Guys....when I did my GS at Air transat I was the only Francophone; during the last 2 months I've mostly flown with CAPTAINS who couldn't speek nor understand French.
The language is not an issue anymore: if you are interested in the job..send your resume. They have been continuously hiring since last year and more to come.
Bullsh*t. You may have been the only Francophone in your class, but I've been here for almost 4 years, and have flown with a good chunk of the Captains. While there may be a large bunch of Anglos in the left seat, I know of only 3 that don't speak french on any conversational level. So either you have somehow met a whole bunch of captains that nobody knows about, or you are trying to make our company appear more forgiving on the language front. Misinformation does no good for anybody.

Just to clarify for the rest of you: French is not actually mandatory, but good luck with your phone interview if you can't put a few sentences together. I'm an Anglo, and I love life at Transat. So will you.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Takeoff does that mean that a new hire will not be on that scale and would be on the normal wide body scale?

ie 50K for the first 2 years then the jump to mid 70's?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

If you get hired on widebody = widebody pay scale
If you are put on two aircraft = widebody payscale
Those that are straight narrow body are so few there are chances that the narrow body pay scale may be eliminated during the next contract which is due this spring.

RFN
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RFN »

I am an Anglo (can bash around in French a little) and so was at least half of my class (and both my sim partners so far) at TS.

Being able to speak French is an obvious asset at a company based in YUL, but why not apply either way?

It is totally possible to commute at TS, and there are many of us who do. I personally am YWG-YYZ.

Biggles
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Biggles »

Has anyone heard any news about upcoming course dates, sizes and aircraft? Not sure how many are in the pool, but I imagine that several of the spots will be scooped up by some of the good folks at Canjet that were layed off. Last rumour I heard was a May course but like most things on this website it is unsubstantiated.

It is better to be sitting on the ground wishing you were in the air than being in the air wishing you were on the ground
minute
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by minute »

Hello,

I am applying to Air transat and would like to know if the sim evaluation is done on the A310 or 737.

Thank you for your help

Biggles
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Biggles »

310. They know that most applicants will not have any experience in the aircraft so the sim eval will be very straight forward. Takeoff, steep turn, intercept radials, using RMI, capturing a loc and glideslope. Only the take off and steep turn is hand flown, the rest using AP. They will give a thorough brief beforehand, so don't worry about a thing. They are looking for basic flying skills and CRM. Good luck

It is better to be sitting on the ground wishing you were in the air than being in the air wishing you were on the ground
jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

So has anybody heard from Transat yet for the most recent job posting?

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
whatsitdoingnow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whatsitdoingnow »

Last edited by whatsitdoingnow on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

whatsitdoingnow wrote:Thanks tbaylx

I'm not quite in a position to apply yet as I still have a commitment to my current employer for 6 months or so but it will be interesting to see how the contract goes in the spring. Hopefully a good outcome. It is also promising to hear that the new hires are less likely to be laid off so easily as this has been a major reason I haven't applied up until now (the wife, kids and mortgage company might not appreciate the lack of funds) . I guess its time to brush up on the French.

Can any recent hires share their experience such as the interview process, training, schedule etc?

Cheers

Apply anyways, they are filling a pool at the moment so chances are you'll have a few months before you're on the property.

Best of luck

Cheers

3H
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3H »

Interviews March 10 and sim the 11th. Everyone who will interview has been contacted.

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

Heard through the grapevine that the temporary YVR base will not happen this summer season. Crews will have to commute from YUL/YYZ to YVR for the flights this summer.

IflyaSewerpipe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by IflyaSewerpipe »

Commute?

You mean deadhead

Starbuck44
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Starbuck44 »

Biggles wrote:Has anyone heard any news about upcoming course dates, sizes and aircraft? Not sure how many are in the pool, but I imagine that several of the spots will be scooped up by some of the good folks at Canjet that were layed off. Last rumour I heard was a May course but like most things on this website it is unsubstantiated.
Asking the same question. Anyone get any news?

Flysafe21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flysafe21 »

Hello everyone,

I got the phone interview with HR and got invited to the interview in YUL but the date ( March 11 ) didn't fit at all in my schedule. The HR told me that another date would come up in the near future. Is there someone who have done the interview on the March 11th who would grant us with some feedback about the process he has been through ? Thank you .

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”