Wheels Down in Ten

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Wheels Down in Ten

Post by Meatservo »

So you guys are suggesting what, then, that people who say "wheels down in -" are

a) Broadcasting the exact time they expect to lower the landing gear just prior to actually landing
b) Are indicating via this specific terminology that they have modified their GPS ETA to be more accurate and it's a secret code, or
c) both?

I'd be impressed if this was the case, however, I suspect most have just discovered an alternate way of announcing their touchdown time and think it makes them sound more awesome and jargon-y.
---------- ADS -----------

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

esp803 wrote:I like giving my speed in fathoms per fortnight so simplify things.

E
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Sometimes I think it's good that some of you post here instead of taking it out on loved ones, pets and/or houseplants.

However...
I'm still waiting for the day when I fly with someone and say "hey that was really good airmanship, good parking and radio speak! Where'd you learn that?" and they say "Avcanada".

In the meantime, just in case it DOES actually work:

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

I probably spend most of my quiet time In the cockpit laughing to myself listening to people talk on the radio. Why? Because its fun. Currently, at this time, Presently.....duh...pick up the IFR..., bend over and get it then! Calling 'on the roll...' Oh you silly boy/girl...would like to request... OK if you'd like to, then go ahead, request it. Or blah blah with a request....oh realy? Thanks for clarifying, I thought if you were calling me you didn't want anything, just to talk....he he that's enough for now. Easy donkey....

I guess I should write something here.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Phrase-of-the-day radio calls are infinitely preferable to the farts, burps, Hee Haws' and Chewbacca wails you hear all day and night on 121.5 down in the good ole US of A. Followed immediately of course by 350 gleefully screamed "On GUAAARRRRDDD".

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

I can say in all honesty, I have never once called "wheels down in ten" ever. I have said "estimating the field in x minutes"...but never used the phrase wheels down in ten or 15 or whatever. Wheels UP?, yup, relayed that information to dispatch 1000+ times, but never wheels down in...whatever time.

Btw, I agree with most of your rant Illya! Good airmanship is such a simple thing...but so many pilots seem to lack it in some areas (I too have been blasted with gravel by a PA31 with a 900 hour guy in the left and 250 hours in the right seat). Don't they teach this stuff in flight school anymore?

Fly safe all.
FTB

stol701
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stol701 »

I don't understand why would you care at all for messages like these, especially to slow down and not take off based on a call someone made 5 or 10 min ago... Aren't people suppose to call base and final?

Not that I fly that often so it probably is more irritating if you hear it all day long, but I filter out such messages completely as they are simply an intention... they don't report anything material and mean nothing.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Is it because that people are watching movies, reading books or just sleeping that blind traffic advisories command 95% of the traffic on 126.7 - there seems to be little need to "stay alert and watch for other aircraft" - and why do people xmit on 126.7 as well as the MF and do it so fast that no one could tell wtf you are doing anyway -- you made your noise at the required time and no one answered -- ytf -- would you do another 6 advisories before you land when it is obvious that there is no traffic -- oh ya -- looking out the window seems to have become a lost art --- cutting down on useless traffic advisories would clean up the frequency when you actually need to work out a plan with other traffic and then I am also mystified when I get an eta from someone that is ahead of me and when the dust settles I am down and clear and engines are stopped - unloading started before the guy who was supposed to be ahead of me actually manages to get on the ground -- oops :smt040 -- PFM --

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
vstrom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vstrom »

image.jpg
image.jpg (50.22 KiB) Viewed 867 times

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

An excellent mini-rant Ilya ...... the radio call that has always silently miffed me is the use of "At this time."

"GXYZ is Bozo Lake at this time, inbound for landing."

I frequently find myself thinking ... of course its "at this time for cripes sake. Do you think the signal bounced off Mars and took 26 minutes for the signal to leave the antenna, bounce off the red planet and then to the ground station where NASA scientists are waiting for my transmission?" .... or maybe ..... "Oh, Bozo Lake this time .... not like last time when I said I was Bozo Lake, but was really over Runny Nose Lake, or the time before that when I said I was Bozo Lake but it was actually 3 minutes before I called and fooled everyone by saying Bozo Lake at this time."

Of course its "at this time" for crying out loud, radio signals travel at 186,000 Miles Per Second (approx.) .... so little to no compensation for the few nanoseconds of time for the transmitter to receiver radio path need be taken into account.

Edited to correct the unit of measurement ..... I was too consumed by my rant to notice the error in the quoted speed of light.

Last edited by single_swine_herder on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

single_swine_herder wrote:An excellent mini-rant Ilya ...... the radio call that has always silently miffed me is the use of "At this time."

"GXYZ is Bozo Lake at this time, inbound for landing."

I frequently find myself thinking ... of course its "at this time for cripes sake. Do you think the signal bounced off Mars and took 26 minutes for the signal to leave the antenna, bounce off the red planet and then to the ground station where NASA scientists are waiting for my transmission?" .... or maybe ..... "Oh, Bozo Lake this time .... not like last time when I said I was Bozo Lake, but was really over Runny Nose Lake, or the time before that when I said I was Bozo Lake but it was actually 3 minutes before I called and fooled everyone by saying Bozo Lake at this time."

Of course its "at this time" for crying out loud, radio signals travel at 186,000 MPH (approx.) .... so little to no compensation for the few nanoseconds of time for the transmitter to receiver radio path need be taken into account.
Now THIS post earns a: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

SSS, I'm glad you agree with my post and that I'm currently not alone in this fight. Presently, I'd like to thank you. When I actually do, I'll let you know. Just keep in mind that I'd like to.

I guess I should write something here.
JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JMACK »

Changes in Latitudes wrote:Sometimes I think it's good that some of you post here instead of taking it out on loved ones, pets and/or houseplants.
However...
I'm still waiting for the day when I fly with someone and say "hey that was really good airmanship, good parking and radio speak! Where'd you learn that?" and they say "Avcanada".

In the meantime, just in case it DOES actually work:

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Any conflicting please be advised, that was funny!

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Local knowledge -- :smt040 where the fuc is Bozo Lake -- "at this time means" -- either I don't have a watch or don't know what time zone I'm in or my math skills are confused - lmfoaaaaaaa -- depending on altitude I guess if you can hear someone that should automatically trigger a 4 minute advisory to M/T space -- speaking of space -- what is the speed of sound in a vacuum -- a little Saturday morning absurdity -- and I'm on time off so I won't get my quota of 126.7 entertainment for 2 weeks -- :mrgreen:

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

It's threads like this that reaffirm my hatred for pretty much all of humanity.

Thank you.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Actually it's threads like this that remind me of how much fun it used to be when we were allowed to fight. :(

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

hahah! Fighting I could get behind. The most banal rant in the history of aviation ("wheels down") is just depressing. Like selfie sticks.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

YOU LEAVE MY SELFIE STICK OUT OF THIS!!!!

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Before I read this thread, I was unaware that I was happily unaware of the existence of the selfie stick.
It's an curiously unseasonably warm February day out there.. I think I'll get off my ass now and go enjoy it.

Last edited by GyvAir on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Cheer up, men, and arm your selfie-sticks. There is a fight developing as we speak, one or two threads down, on the subject of global warming. A subject that never fails to bring out the stupidest cretins on either side of the argument. It will make this thread look incisive and relevant. 8)

Return to “General Comments”