Entering controlled IFR from uncontrolled airport

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

HeadingAltitudeSpeed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Entering controlled IFR from uncontrolled airport

Post by HeadingAltitudeSpeed »

Might as well stop feeding this troll. He is obviously one of those guys that is happy to break rules and not only risk his life but those of his passengers and potentially the innocent victim that may be following the rules. Perhaps one day when he decides to launch "VFR" and climb through the clouds trying to get a clearance he will catch a glimpse of the reason why he should do things differently. If he is lucky it will only be a glimpse and not a face full.
---------- ADS -----------

spaner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by spaner »

Touchy subject,

As I said, I don't know why, cu'z it is a pretty simple situation as daily operations go,
BUT, the guys like to choo the beef here; gierke, otto von, but I digress, :mrgreen:

Be safe, be legal, and try to have some fun in the process.

AND, if you can't, then be mean, be bad, and go all out on a black-out-op; :shock:

A clearance?
Easily had, by a number of means, in just the right circumstance, just where and how you need it.
Be prepared, or be jonny-on-the-spot,

Whatever is needed, just do it.

So, what's the problem?

TOO slow, OR just don't understand?

howard40
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by howard40 »

The original post said imc, with controlled airspace above, I think it would be a good safe practice to get the clearance, on the ground, before you blast upwards. You have no clue if anyone's coming, or driving by ifr above,without the call.

eh3fifty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eh3fifty »

ahramin wrote:Get a clearance on the ground by phone before you depart.
Bingo! It works like a charm.
controlled airspace directly above it (above 2200AGL)
A small clarification... controlled airspace starts at 2200' AGL. I'm not going to argue at all how you're going to prove if you were at or if you were below that altitude :rolleyes: ...just pointing out the rule.
If you were departing an airport contolled, technically you'd need the vfr release (not enforced outside of the MF).
Not so. Most FSS guys believe this I think because they will file a CADORS if you do depart VFR in VMC without a VFR release.

But as long as you're at an uncontrolled airport, you may depart VFR in VMC if you like, regardless of having the VFR release approval. It's stupid to go without the VFR release approval... but not illegal.
Just to be clear, even if the weather is VFR and you filed IFR, then you cannot enter class E airspace without getting a clearance. i.e. you cannot decide for yourself that you will just remain visual and climb into the airway to pick up clearance.
Yes, you can.

Just make sure you squawk 1200 :D Until you have received and accepted the IFR clearance, you do not have an IFR clearance. Therefore, you are operating under VFR rules and must abide by those rules including remaining VMC.
If you remain in VMC under VFR rules, you can be in controlled airspace with an IFR flight plan filed. There is no specific regulation against it. However, when you are already in controlled airspace and call for your clearance, there's no rule that says the controller has to give it to you.

So go ahead and disregard the proper procedure, you won't get violated as long as you remain VFR, but don't bitch if you can't get your clearance and have to fly the rest of the way VFR.
+1
You would just squawk 1200 (assuming that you are not going to climb above 12,501' while maintaining VFR).
Technicality, Class B is above 12,500', not 12,501'. And another point - altitudes are in 100's and usable altitudes are in 1000' increments (500' increments if looking at IFR and VFR altitudes). The whole BS that if you go 1 foot above 12,500' then you're in Class B airspace is a bunch of crap! As far as ATC is concerned (the people who will violate you for breaking this rule), you're not in Class B until you're 12,800' or above on their radar display.
Now, before you attempt to pick up your clearance, get out of class E airspace. You squawk 1000 (after leaving class E) and then contact an ATC unit for your clearance.
No need to change your squawk before talking to ATC. And no reason to leave class E if you're still in VMC.
Ok, but by what reference is it "proper procedure"?
Photofly, I think he may be talking about the VFR release procedure. If he is, I agree with him. It's legal to depart VFR without the VFR release, but it's stupid to do so. They're not giving it to you for a reason.

“No one can realize how substantial the air is, until he feels its supporting power beneath him. It inspires confidence at once.”

-Otto Lilienthal
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

There is absolutely no requirement to use hand signals on a motorcycle. You have to know them (as you do in a car) but you do not have to use them. In fact, I got reprimanded on my last road test for taking my hand off the handlebar at a stoplight.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:I got reprimanded on my last road test
Taken a few have you.

You do have to demonstrate that you can find neutral. The only way to do that is put it in neutral and take your hand off the clutch so somehow I think what you got told about why you failed and what the examiner meant were two different things. Good luck on your next test :)

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

It was not a fail, only a reprimand. I took my hand completely off the handlebar to stretch my elbow and the examiner said I was not in control of the bike at that point, should it start to roll. I don't feel like it's a problem, my foot was on the brake, but we all know rides and real world are different, eh?

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

1. Motorcylces:
Remember that motor vehicles are provincially regulated, so requirements may vary depending on what province you're in. So yes, there may be some provinces that still require hand signals on road tests, but also some provinces may have a graduated licensing system which requires multiple road tests. You can't assume that having to do more than one road test means that somebody failed!

2. "VFR"
Comparing doing 53 Km/h in a 50 limit is more akin to crossing 10,000 at 265 kts, 'cause the slippery bugger just didn't "want" to slow down. The motor vehicle equivalent of pretending to be "VFR" as you fly through cloud in controlled airspace to pick up your clearance is "pretending" you're under the limit after 12 pints at the local watering hole, as you drive the wrong way down a one-way street! All of the above are technically violations of the CARs/Highway Traffic Act, but I sincerely hope that we all see the difference between the two.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Left of track what's so hard about flying 10 miles perpendicular to the airway at 2200AGL in MB then you can climb up to 12500 IFR since you will be out from under the airway and get your clearance that way? Also if it takes you more than 5 minutes from the time you hang up the phone to being airborne you are doing it wrong, you can brief your passengers and get all that crap out of the way then run inside and get your clearance on the phone.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

fish4life wrote:Left of track what's so hard about flying 10 miles perpendicular to the airway at 2200AGL in MB then you can climb up to 12500 IFR since you will be out from under the airway and get your clearance that way? Also if it takes you more than 5 minutes from the time you hang up the phone to being airborne you are doing it wrong, you can brief your passengers and get all that crap out of the way then run inside and get your clearance on the phone.
Nurse briefs the pax, the avionics needed to be off for engine start and won't memorize the last route programmed, so after start with a battery charge in the middle and avionics turned on initialized programming the route and running through the after's if I was airborn in 10 minutes from hanging up the phone in the terminal it was a good day.

The good news for everyone who seems upset about my method can rest easy knowing Im long into a 705 machine with an APU and I have a sat phone for any nessacary clearances, I also don't fly anywhere that would ever require me to use the sat phone for that.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”