Westjet Calgary-Loreto,MX Route?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Sunwing738
Rank 2
Rank 2

Westjet Calgary-Loreto,MX Route?

Post by Sunwing738 »

I remember reading around this time last year that Westjet was going to start a seasonal weekly flight from Calgary to Loreto, Mexico. I found it an odd destination for them to start, not many hotels and only 1 or 2 offering the typical all-inclusive options to Canadian sun-seekers. The airport in Loreto is small & only sees a daily Q400 from LAX and the odd E120, C208 from AeroCalafia from smaller cities in the Baja peninsula. Along with Westjet's Saturday only 73W.

Now that the winter season is almost finished, does anyone know how they did on this route? Were the planes full? I was taking a look at the hotel packages offered and it seems like the tourism industry in Loreto is starting to grow slowly, there are a few resorts being built and infrastructure is getting better. I would like to take a trip down there next year hopefully.

Does anyone know if Westjet will keep this route after testing it out this winter or are they willing to expand it out? Maybe they are ahead of the game here and predict Loreto will be the next big tourist destination in Mexico?

Any insider info would be great.
Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Westjet Calgary-Loreto,MX Route?

Post by Airbrake »

Looking at the loads, it has been and contines to be successful. But I won't say anymore than that.

snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

Just because loads are good does not mean it is making money.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

snowcone wrote:Just because loads are good does not mean it is making money.
Agreed not a guarantee, but management (not just WestJet's) is usually pretty good at pricing to maximize yield. If the seats are full, it's not because they're giving them away; it's because they've found the price that gets the last seat filled (with a few wannabes on standby just in case) before people start turning to alternatives.

Sunwing738
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sunwing738 »

I hope Loreto can sustain the route & maybe expand next year. It is a beautiful area on the Sea of Cortez, great diving, mountainous terrain and authentic culture. With flights like these the packages basically under-cut the fares. The seats may be full but WS has lost a percentage of each fare when packaging it with a hotel and maybe rental car. I hope they do keep the route!

Return to “WestJet”