Flight Schools in Calgary and Vancouver

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

EchoNovemberAlpha
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by EchoNovemberAlpha »

TC Guy wrote: When you get at PPL (or CPL/ATPL) it allows you to fly any of the following types of airplanes:

"ALL SINGLE PILOT NON-HIGH PERFORMANCE, SINGLE AND MULTI-ENGINE LAND AEROPLANES
GROUP 1 INSTRUMENT RATING VALID TO 2007/05/01"
etc.

That means that I can do the following:
a) fly any single or multi engine land aeroplane that fits the above discription VFR
b) fly any single or multi engine land aeroplane that fits the above discription IFR (because the instrument rating is Group 1)

Therefore:
You Group 1 Instrument Rating is valid also for groups 2 and 3 (group 2 is also valid for group 3 but not group 1).

Does this answer your questions?

-Guy
Get the gist of it thanx TC guy.
Just to be a bit specific here, if I'm doing the flight test for PPL/CPL on a C152, and I want to fly a C172 I don't need to have a type endorsement on the 172...is that what it means (dunno if the 172 comes under complex A/c...say the Skyhawk?)?
PPL rules for IFR are identical to CPL rules, except: You can't fly for hire or reward AND you can only fly single pilot airplanes.
So, with a CPL, i can fly for hire & reward...ok...AND I can fly IFR on any multi engine airplane....?...that's within the 'envelope' of parameters..??
For any aircraft that falls outside those parameters, I will need a type endorsement on my licence for each one.
So, How do I find this out..? you at TC are my resource for this I guess?...or the flight school should be able to assist me here?
eg. MIFR test flight done-BE76. CPL obtained-C152. Can I fly for H&R (CPL) on the Seminole or say the Seneca..?

Well if you don't need a type rating to fly an A/c other than on which you qualified, it's as good as an 'open rating', one that allows you to fly all A/c under...say an AUW criteria...1500kgs.
Now that is KOOl if it's true :) ...but Hell I am sure you would atleast need a check or two before you fly such an A/c...maybe by the CFI of the flight school or some other instructor/examiner...atleast unofficially (i mean without an endorsement on your license)

Do let me know ...but thanx again.
---------- ADS -----------

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

ENA;

As far as my quick read went, you're correct on all points.

As long as the aircraft falls under the "non-high performance" category you'll be able to work on it with a PPL, CPL, Multi-IFR (group 1). This would qualify for a whack of airplanes - in fact most light twins and singles.

Now, what a flight school or business will want from you may differ, and usually is dictated by insurance policies or company policies regarding "check outs" and the like. If you're instructing there's also some differences when you start teaching on the twins (just for the multi ratings). It's really not complicated however.

Just know for sure that getting your PPL and CPL on a 152 and your ME-IFR on a BE-76 will allow you to work on all non-high performance land aircraft, at least from TC's view.

Cheers, and sorry for the late response - I've been either in the air or away from the computer for the last bit.

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

EAC... I would suggest that many of your questions have been answered. This is VERY complex issue, and you still have questions regarding licencing specifics.

I would ask you to contact a Licincing Inspector via telephone so that you can get all your questions answered, and not wonder about the source. That way, you can voice any issues you have, and be sure you get the support you need.

Here is the link for the numbers you will need.

Link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/air/offices.htm

Hope this helps!

-Guy

EchoNovemberAlpha
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by EchoNovemberAlpha »

Yep sure it was great help.
Thank you, TC Guy and Pugster(check your PM).
It sure is complicated..especially since I was trying to compare it with the licensing requirements here in India.
I intend to complete my flying training and get my CPL+MIFR in Canada, and then convert them to an Indain license on my return...so, all the research. To get it right, I'll need to work at obtaining my Canadian CPL and MIFR sure...but I'll also need to ensure I'm doing my training as per DGCA requirements here!...and have the necessary documentation to prove it!!

All the same, thanx to all of ya :)

Return to “Flight Training”