Slate Falls Air Otter job

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Slate Falls Air Otter job

Post by awitzke »

Sounds pretty good compared to some of the other float ads popping up on here. From what the seasoned guys are saying this seems more like a proper salary for an otter pilot. Yes? No?
---------- ADS -----------

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Slate Falls Air Otter job

Post by Duffman »

Sounds like an average salary. I'm sure there are folks making more and some making less. There are hardly any higher time float guys around in NWO so you have to pay well to have a chance at getting anyone good.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

That's what I figured. Seems quite enticing though as a young pilot considering the float world, that if you stick it out you could be making $45,000 or so for 6 months of work.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Didn't you just say in another thread that you've had enough of manual labour? And now you're lusting after an Otter job?
:rolleyes:

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Go read my posts again.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

Good on them for listing the wage and work schedule. I have no first hand knowledge of these guys being a lifelong Westerner. I'd encourage anybody meeting or exceeding their time requirements to use the $7500 as a starting point in negotiations. The value of negotiation is often underestimated. 7500 per month on a 20 on 5 off works out to about 312 per day. I wouldn't call that a slap in the face for somebody with 2000 hours of PIC float time but it's on the low end of fair in my opinion. That's the story of Ontario flying wages unfortunately. Too bad they weren't public sector positions; we'd all be on the sunshine list! Does the job include accommodation.

This is where my theory from this thread may come into play. http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 5&t=100528

Rather than see the wage increase I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody with less float time fill this position.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

awitzke wrote:Go read my posts again.
I wouldn't be suprised if these otter guys spend more time unloading and loading the airplane than some ramp guys do and most likely spend more time loading and unloading than flying.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Yeah, probably. But as I posted in the other thread there is nothing wrong with loading an aircraft if your job as a pilot requires it. I just disagree with working on a ramp with the empty promise of "maybe one day you'll get your chance." Give me a contract when I'm hired saying that after X weeks or months I get a PPC and can fly empty legs? Sure I'll load and unload, and do whatever else they ask. But only because there is an agreement that you will get to fly after a set amount of time. Dangling a carrot infront of a young pilot with stars in their eyes is wrong. I have personally heard stories of rampies getting laid off after working for a year at an operator. What then?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Fair enough can't argue with that.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

300/day is what starts guys on the beaver at out west. Same kind of time reqs. No backbreaking loading and unloading either.

I hope room and board are included. Could be a good gig. I hear the CP is a good guy.

Kzanol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kzanol »

Cp is a top notch guy and I haven't ever heard anything bad about slate falls from the guys who worked there over the years, however it is still NW Ont. The operators up there get what they pay for, that's it. Not too many experienced float pilots around anymore unless they are in some sort of management position. Most float pilots with a season or two seem to be getting the IFR or moving out west to where work conditions/pay are more attractive. The requirements for the jobs in these areas also seem to have dropped as well, a beaver ad used to have a 500-1000 hrs on floats min requirement, seems to be almost to be an entry level job now at some places.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

But the question you need to ask is if you can afford to keep me in beer and wings if there is a move to slkt :smt040 and i have a water balloon cannon if you venture too close to my deck --

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

I looked into flying on the west coast and last year a couple companies, Harbour Air was one of them, showed interest in me but the pay was shockingly low. Harbour Air was paying less than half of what I get in NWO. And here I get room and board and tips.

There is no manual labour involved with HA but I couldn't justify the huge pay cut. To rent a place in Vancouver would have drained me. Maybe Seair or some of the other guys would be better though.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Seair, Tofino, Saltspring all pay considerably more than HA on the beav. HA pays quite well on the otter though. You are right, cost of living here is high and no room and board.

I like being able to walk 1/2 block to some of the best lunch spots in the country though :wink:

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Just get on one of those microsuites in Whalley. Just don't go outside.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”