Tips for the VFR/IFR ITA Exam

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

marvin34
Rank 1
Rank 1

Tips for the VFR/IFR ITA Exam

Post by marvin34 »

There is a chance that I may be selected for a course with only 2 months to study for the ITA exam. In the event this happens I would like to be prepared as possible. Are there any tips for material that I could look at to at least get a head start? That way if I am selected and the material shows up I'll have had a week or two to research some concepts. Just unsure what to expect, other than a lot of material.

I know it's probably a lot, and a wide range of material as well. But I'm sure there is at least a few aspects of the material that I can research. Or if anyone that has could scan and e-mail some material it would be greatly appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

jzt26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Tips for the VFR/IFR ITA Exam

Post by jzt26 »

I'm starting an IFR course soon and in the middle of the ITA prep.

2 months isn't unfair by any means, if you manage your time properly you will be alright. I suggest that you cancel all social events for those 2 months and solely focus on the ITA.

Most importantly, make a detailed schedule.

I've had the material for 56 days, I've spent 33 of those studying and 23 were offdays/social events (in hindsight, I would cut that in half), etc. I have 32 days left (total of 89 days / 3 months). In 33 days I've covered 30 blocs out of 43 (70%). Keep in mind that I print all the graphics/important pictures, note everything down, review, etc. I'd estimate it takes 40-45 days to really absorb all the material, make clear notes, print important stuff, etc. That would leave you with 15-20 days to review. I don't advise doing much more than 6 hours / day, its a lot of new and complex material (if you have zero prior knowledge). I'll typically do 3 x 2h. 1 to 3 blocs per day is a good pace (some blocs will take 30 mins, others 3 hours, it's hard to quantify).

Also, in preparation for the course, start adjusting your sleep schedule, get rid of bad habits, get in touch with people who are also preparing. In my down time I watched/read a lot about Nav Canada or ATC in general, it gives your brain a break, but in a productive way.

If you want a head start, get familiar with:
-Parts of a plane
-Different types of engines and their characteristics
-Meteorological hazards (wind, snow, rain, clouds, etc.)
-Canadian time zones
-Large Canadian cities and their location on a map
-Alphabetical radio communication (A = Alpha, B = Bravo, C = Charlie, etc.)

Hope that helps.

Last edited by jzt26 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Priceless!

Going for the deck at corner
jzt26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jzt26 »

Legacy14 wrote:B = Bravo
Edited! My bad.

Tried to help as much as possible.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jzt26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jzt26 »

Legacy14 wrote:Ironically, that was the same minor mistake made by one of my colleagues when I was in the army reserve. During basic training, one of the instructors asked our group if anyone knew anything about the phonetic alphabet. One of the other candidates (we were all untrained privates) said "Oh I know that that's easy!" and started spouting the letters "alpha beta charlie del.." and got promptly cut off by the instructor who yelled "WRONG!" I probably wouldn't have responded if that moment weren't burned in my memory.

Hey by the way jzt26, what FIR are you in?
Haha :)

I was also in the reserve, but that was 9 years ago so I had to relearn it (still working on it as you can see!).

And I'll be training at YUL in the terminal course, we're a very small group but everyone seems pretty awesome so far, can't wait to start.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Nice post. Also while two months is a short time to learn the ITA once the course starts you'll have an even shorter time to learn even harder information. So it is a good preparation for what is to come. It gets harder and harder as training goes because you need to retain all previous information and add more and more and more. So focus, study hard and never ever think you know enough. The trend with the latest generation of trainees I found was that I keep hearing " we never were taught that, we never saw that, we never blah blah blah". The course teaches you yes but if you truly want this job you need more than bare minimums.

/endrant

Good luck!

benoit.baril
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by benoit.baril »

And I'll be training at YUL in the terminal course, we're a very small group but everyone seems pretty awesome so far, can't wait to start.
Let us know how it goes once the course starts.
I just had to skip an offer for that particular course but i'm still in the pool for a year!
Good luck!

GET TO DA CHOPPA!
jzt26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jzt26 »

benoit.baril wrote:
Let us know how it goes once the course starts.
I just had to skip an offer for that particular course but i'm still in the pool for a year!
Good luck!
Yeah I saw your post in the other thread :) can't believe you passed on that, but I'm sure you had very good reasons. If you made it that far, the opportunity will come again. Bad timing I guess.

Initially there was supposed to be 6 people for the terminal course, since you declined there is only 5 of us, but I think they're working on finding a 6th one. It's quite different from my university classes where there was 300 people for 1 teacher!

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

I had 4 weeks from receiving the ITA to starting. My instructors gave a very good review of the material and prepared us for the ITA exam.
There is a huge amount of material to learn, but it is doable in a short(ish) time frame. But be prepared to sacrifice your life to study for those weeks leading up to starting the course and the exam. I was putting in 8-9 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Until you get the ITA disc to study, it's hard to say precisely what is in it. But the list jzt26 gave is a good place to start. That's all widely available on the internet. As are ICAO airport codes. These are also useful to start memorizing. Particularly major Canadian and U.S. airports such as CYYZ, CYVR, KJFK, KLAX etc Again, Google is your friend, find 20-30 or so from each country and learn those. Every little helps. If you don't end up using it for the ITA, you will need to know them for your course afterwards.

marvin34
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by marvin34 »

Thanks jzt26 and RexKrammer, this is exactly the type of stuff I was fishing for.

RunwayWindAltimer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RunwayWindAltimer »

If you can get your hands on From The Ground Up, that will be your best bet for getting a head start on the ITA. FTGU is essentially the basic bible for flight training, and can be found at any flight shop (online or at an airport). From what I remember, roughly 70% of the ITA package is material directly covered in FTGU. The remainder of the info in the ITA is NavCan specific stuff (management, structure, MANOPS etc) which you likely won't be able to get any info on prior to receiving the ITA cd.

Good Luck, and work your ass off!

marvin34
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by marvin34 »

Curious when you guys got your ITA material after your phone call for the course. I got the phone call and accepted, got an acceptance e-mail and offer package is in the mail. I was told the ITA would be online and I would receive an e-mail with a password. Thought this would arrive along with the acceptance e-mail, but it has not. Did you have to wait a day or two after the phone call or was it immediate? Thanks.

vince79
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vince79 »

Marvin34, I got the ITA the same day as the phone call from Ottawa. Maybe you should call back to make sure everything is ok.

Good luck with your training !!

Return to “ATS Question Forum”