Otter adrift near Victoria Harbour

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

cessnafloatflyer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Otter adrift near Victoria Harbour

Post by cessnafloatflyer »

Does anybody know anything about this? Why would they not taxi back into the Harbour rather than drift -- engine issues??

http://www.cheknews.ca/float-plane-towe ... reakwater/
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Otter adrift near Victoria Harbour

Post by CpnCrunch »

There was a new story on CTV last night saying a HA plane was in the hold waiting to land, but had to land immediately in the harbour due to low oil pressure indication.

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

A Harbour Air de Havilland DHC-3 (C-GHAZ / HR316) from Vancouver (Water), BC (CAM9) to Victoria Harbour, BC (CYWH), was holding south of Victoria Harbour when the aircraft declared an emergency. The aircraft landed northbound near the breakwater. The pilot advised of shutting down engine due to a low oil pressure indication and a smell of smoke in cockpit. The pilot requested assistance as the aircraft was unable to taxi. The aircraft was taken under tow. Flight service station (FSS) observed a wing tip damage as it was towed past their facility. Impact to operation was limited to a minor delay for departing aircraft while HR316 was towed to dock. Aviation Operations was advised.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Unsecured oil cap?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Found the oil cap(s)? :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Funny...I think if that was it problems would have started sooner after takeoff from yvr.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

I guess they don't have a paddle on the float. Wouldn't have done much good but watching the pilot try to paddle an otter around would have provided some entertainment while they waited :rolleyes:

electricalfailure
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by electricalfailure »

The wind was blowing about 20 kts from the west. No chance paddling in that out past the breakwater.

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

This was posted on Harbour Air's Facebook page:
Thank you everyone for your concern and interest in the safety of our passengers and crew.
A Harbour Air seaplane bound from Victoria harbour to South Vancouver made a precautionary landing near the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal at approximately 0930. All 6 passengers were picked up and have been safely and quickly transported to their original destination.
Harbour Air’s initial investigation has determined that, upon feeling physically unwell, the Pilot of the aircraft elected to make a precautionary landing at a safe location as protocol dictates. The Pilot was examined and released.
The pilot must have been in really, really rough shape. There aren't many illnesses I can think of that would warrant a precautionary landing that close to the destination.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I_Drive_Planes wrote:This was posted on Harbour Air's Facebook page:
Thank you everyone for your concern and interest in the safety of our passengers and crew.
A Harbour Air seaplane bound from Victoria harbour to South Vancouver made a precautionary landing near the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal at approximately 0930. All 6 passengers were picked up and have been safely and quickly transported to their original destination.
Harbour Air’s initial investigation has determined that, upon feeling physically unwell, the Pilot of the aircraft elected to make a precautionary landing at a safe location as protocol dictates. The Pilot was examined and released.
The pilot must have been in really, really rough shape. There aren't many illnesses I can think of that would warrant a precautionary landing that close to the destination.
Pilots are goal oriented and admitting to yourself that you are not up to the task and need to be on the ground is not a natural reaction. I wish to state I admire the professionalism of the pilot for making the hard choice.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

So are there two separate incidents here, or just one? The one report says a plane landed outside Victoria Harbour, and another report of a plane landing offshore of Tsawassen. Is it just bad reporting, or two incidents?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

I_Drive and BPF, you're mixing up unrelated incidents. This thread is about the precautionary due to oil pressure. The precautionary near Tsawwassen was a day or two later. Great outcomes on both counts in the grand scheme of things.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
threepoint
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by threepoint »

I_Drive_Planes wrote: The pilot must have been in really, really rough shape. There aren't many illnesses I can think of that would warrant a precautionary landing that close to the destination.
Vertigo. Kudos to the pilot for the correct decision to land.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Diarrhoea is no picnic, either, I can tell you. Even when it happens AT a picnic.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”