767 cockpit

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

767 cockpit

Post by leftoftrack »

Does anyone know if the 767 leased from Boeing will have the 787 cockpit, I imagine this would be a larger expense but would also help with any transition to a 787 purchase as WS has stated the 767 is temporary? might even be something that Boeing may eat the cost on?
---------- ADS -----------

CCR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 767 cockpit

Post by CCR »

Just the flightdeck it originated with.

dukepoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dukepoint »

leftoftrack wrote:Does anyone know if the 767 leased from Boeing will have the 787 cockpit, I imagine this would be a larger expense but would also help with any transition to a 787 purchase as WS has stated the 767 is temporary? might even be something that Boeing may eat the cost on?

How could the 767 have "the cockpit" of a completely different airliner, designed in a completely different era, and catering to completely different system philosophies???

What am I missing?

DP.

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

The Q400s should have a 37 cockpit to make that transition easy too. Or maybe make them all 87 cockpits. One type rating covers all

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

How could the 767 have "the cockpit" of a completely different airliner, designed in a completely different era, and catering to completely different system philosophies???

What am I missing?

DP.[/quote]

https://www.rockwellcollins.com/Data/Ne ... 67LDS.aspx
AirMail wrote:The Q400s should have a 37 cockpit to make that transition easy too. Or maybe make them all 87 cockpits. One type rating covers all
cause your option isn't available yet

DH772
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DH772 »

for a "temporary" airplane the cost of refurbishing a 767 cockpit will fair out weigh the cost of an entire initial 787 course for pilots.

and seeing as WJ won't even spend the cash for PDC's I doubt they would ever consider this idea.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

The 3 vs 4 screen efis is due the gear handle position on the 767 can't be moved, but other than the # of screens I think it makes the display nearly identical to the '87. Aside from simplifying crew transitioning it increases the value/desirability of the aircraft when it comes time to sell it.

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

leftoftrack wrote:How could the 767 have "the cockpit" of a completely different airliner, designed in a completely different era, and catering to completely different system philosophies???

What am I missing?

DP.
https://www.rockwellcollins.com/Data/Ne ... 67LDS.aspx
AirMail wrote:The Q400s should have a 37 cockpit to make that transition easy too. Or maybe make them all 87 cockpits. One type rating covers all
cause your option isn't available yet
Well played. Learn something new. But as sarcastic as my reply was, it would be cool :P

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

There isn't a hope in hell WestJet or Boeing would consider this. Who cares about easing the transition to an aircraft they don't even have? WestJet manages to teach their pilots how to fly the NG. I'm sure they won't have any trouble teaching them how to fly a 67 and when the replacement for the a/c arrives, whatever it is, I'm sure they won't have trouble transitioning to that.
DH772 wrote:...and seeing as WJ won't even spend the cash for PDC's I doubt they would ever consider this idea.
I'm curious, what benefit would WJ derive from PDC?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

True North wrote: I'm curious, what benefit would WJ derive from PDC?
Perhaps I'd be allowed to get a clearance while the skipper is doing the walkaround :roll:

kaput
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kaput »

Just so you guys know... this is not a 787 flight deck retrofit. There is no commonality with the 787 except for the size of the displays and how they function. What you're suggesting is like getting the latest IFE system and then calling a 767 a 787.

All they are doing is replacing the displays with the same ones they use in the 787. Still, it sounds like a pretty neat upgrade. I think WJ will sail these 767's into the sunset and then keep buying more, so why not get the new screens.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

kaput wrote:Just so you guys know... this is not a 787 flight deck retrofit. There is no commonality with the 787 except for the size of the displays and how they function. What you're suggesting is like getting the latest IFE system and then calling a 767 a 787.

All they are doing is replacing the displays with the same ones they use in the 787. Still, it sounds like a pretty neat upgrade. I think WJ will sail these 767's into the sunset and then keep buying more, so why not get the new screens.
Nope, no one is saying that. Unless you were reading the jokes about making the Q400/737/767/787 all the same type rating. That's what we call sarcasm. anyway I've quoted Rockwell Collins' link for you icase you didn't feel like opening it.
Display commonality with Boeing 787 Dreamliner and 737 MAX aircraft, which reduces required training and associated cost for air carriers with a mixed fleet.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

kaput wrote:Just so you guys know... this is not a 787 flight deck retrofit. There is no commonality with the 787 except for the size of the displays and how they function. What you're suggesting is like getting the latest IFE system and then calling a 767 a 787.

Not true. Standard old 767 flightdeck.

kaput
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kaput »

leftoftrack wrote:Does anyone know if the 767 leased from Boeing will have the 787 cockpit...
leftoftrack wrote:Nope, no one is saying that.
k...

kaput
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kaput »

True North wrote:

Not true. Standard old 767 flightdeck.
Right, I meant "they" as in Rockwell.

Return to “WestJet”