Overdue Cargo Airplane Bound for CYXS

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Overdue Cargo Airplane Bound for CYXS

Post by CID »

And this is exactly why I wont post my thoughts here......
What's wrong with news media using AvCanada as a resource? They correctly identified people here as "enthusiasts" on an "online forum". They didn't call people here experts.
---------- ADS -----------

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

CVR's weren't functional when I worked there... I believe they had FDR's as well.

I read an article yesterday claiming the crew phoned ATC on a Cell phone reporting an electrical issue. perhaps they lost all gyro's and ended up in a spiral into the ground. It would explain the lack of Mayday call and transponder.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

CID wrote:
What's wrong with news media using AvCanada as a resource? They correctly identified people here as "enthusiasts" on an "online forum". They didn't call people here experts.
It is wrong, because as usual, the media is willing to report anything, as long as they are the first to do it. Hell, it could be complete and utter bull shit, but at least they got it on the air FIRST.

The news media, could at least have the common sense and decency, to wait, and only release information, and report on the facts that are disseminated to them from official sources - in this case the RCMP, TSB, Carson, etc.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Pilots bodies have been found.

Very sad indeed

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I was really hoping for a DB Cooper type of end to the story. You know Metro full of the banks money, 2 poorly paid pilots, and a beach somewhere. Sorry for the bad news Av-family. My condolences.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Sad & Tragic. It seems we are saying that far too often this year already.

My sincere condolences to family and friends.

FTB

bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bigsky »

I am assuming these aircraft are pressurized. Is there a chance a door or window could have let loose..they were at about the right altitude where the pressurization would be starting to kick in.
Do they not have a large cargo door, if that let loose it would be pretty catastrophic.

Just a thought and nothing more.

RIP guys.

There is no substitute for BIG JUGS!!
boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

I am assuming these aircraft are pressurized. Is there a chance a door or window could have let loose..they were at about the right altitude where the pressurization would be starting to kick in.
Do they not have a large cargo door, if that let loose it would be pretty catastrophic.
Pretty unlikely. Even if a window did let go - it is not catastrophic. It has happened before. At 8000' your diff is pretty darn low.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

bigsky wrote:I am assuming these aircraft are pressurized. Is there a chance a door or window could have let loose..they were at about the right altitude where the pressurization would be starting to kick in.

RIP guys.
The pressurization begins from the ground in a pressurized airplane.

bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bigsky »

Canoehead wrote:
bigsky wrote:I am assuming these aircraft are pressurized. Is there a chance a door or window could have let loose..they were at about the right altitude where the pressurization would be starting to kick in.

RIP guys.
The pressurization begins from the ground in a pressurized airplane.
I know that - I guess what I am saying is the differential pressure increases with altitude thus the likelihood of
something letting loose increases with altitude.

Anyway probably a non related issue..just thought maybe that big door came loose one way or the other.

There is no substitute for BIG JUGS!!
Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

When that cargo door is closed, it is essentially part of the fuselage. Has the same structural integrity as any other area of the fuselage. Highly unlikely anything related to the cargo door.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Unless the internal cargo door handle was left in the socket. The metro has no safety mechanism to prevent the cargo door from opening in flight. If the handle was in (usually stored in a pouch next to door) and a box fell...

The phone call to ATC is an interesting development (if accurate). They probably would have been in cell reception at that altitude and distance from yvr.

The live ATC recording is quite chilling. And also went on for much longer than I expected given the short duration of their flight.

GREMMIE
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GREMMIE »

My condolences to friends family and colleagues of the crew. Anybody who is willing to work ungodly hours loading thousands if pounds of bank bags into clapped out cargo pigs for the kind if wages available is doing so because they have a passion for flying, not because they aren't talented or intelligent enough to do something else with their lives. Maybe we can take some comfort knowing these two were doing what they loved. May they rest in peace.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

armchair wrote:That CTV and CBC may lurk here is not unexpected, but somewhat complimentary to the expertise found here. Anyway... anyone knows what CVR/FDR equipment this aircraft may have had? (medias were refering to black boxes not having been found yet, but I'm not sure if it had any to begin with).
In a roundabout way, CBC is here. Some CBC reporters call me about accidents in certain areas to get my take on what may have happened. Not this one. I highly doubt I'm the only one on here who the media call from time to time. The main guy who calls me is radio and radio is not well suited to detailed stories about accident speculation. Rarely it gets turfed to the television guys. I don't say this in a perjorative sense, but quite a few media people are thicker than bottled pig shite.

We forget that most of us know all of these things in detail. It's just our life. It isn't theirs, and sometimes it seems like the Pope writing about better sex.

I have tried to get better media coverage of these types of things, but real depth stuff is for the print media. I used to be a print journalist back in the day and did some stuff for the Vancouver Sun, but not any more.

Some journalists I know go to Bill Yearwood and they say he is very helpful. Just comes right out and says what is known. I know of a journalist who had the story on the NT Air accident before the TSB was going to release it. There was a very human factor to that and the journalist was asked to hold off until the official announcement, and he would be given first dibs. I think our TSB are as good as any in the world.

We have TSB guys "lurking" here as well. I can't see how that can be a bad thing.

I agree with armchair. Sure there are some crackers here, but there are a lot of guys who've been to the rodeo as well. We are discussing things from a knowledge base that has often been purchased with the lives of our colleagues and the experiences we have had that speak of making bad things turn out good. The CTV report did speak of enthusiasts, but before that it said this is a place where there are aviation experts. There genuinely are a lot of them here and I think we should be happy they are among us and the media points that out.

In the CTV thing, I think they originally had it that debris had been found but not the fuselage. Obviously that was not true and the headline was changed to say it was the cockpit that wasn't found. They got that from the Mounties, as their clip showed.

If I was a journalist again, I'd have no trouble identifying that as a very good source of understanding the issues involved in an accident like this. I wouldn't mistake it as the TSB, but still good information to know early on.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

CID wrote:
Ah yes they did....
In a release, police said the plane’s fuselage had not been located, though aviation experts and enthusiasts posting on the avcanada.ca online forum say part of the fuselage can clearly be seen in CTV News video of the wreckage.
But that's just semantics at this point, very sad day...condolences to the families.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

lostaviator wrote: The live ATC recording is quite chilling. And also went on for much longer than I expected given the short duration of their flight.
Have you a link to that?

Thanks

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

I don't sorry. Go to liveatc and search the yvr arrival/departure feed. Search by time on liveatc. It was 15z-15:30z time frame I believe.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

lostaviator wrote:I don't sorry. Go to liveatc and search the yvr arrival/departure feed. Search by time on liveatc. It was 15z-15:30z time frame I believe.
thanks

CFM Symphony
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CFM Symphony »

TSB is saying it was a sudden and uncontrolled descent.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3032313

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

[b]The identities of the two pilots are not being released at the request of the families, police said[/b]
This kinda highlights one of the things that bug me. When people are looking for PM's about Crew ID.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”