Low time pilot.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Joe357
Rank 0
Rank 0

Low time pilot.

Post by Joe357 »

Hello guys!
I'm Joe, I hope you can help me answer a few questions...
I just finished my commercial license and I'm looking forward to hit the road and head up in northern Canada.
Does anyone know:
1)where to go?
2)Best time of the year to show up and knock at he door?
3)How much can you expect to actually fly? Seasonal contracts only or the keep you for a long term?
Thank you in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Low time pilot.

Post by AirMail »

There's a plethora of information on here if you use the search function. Also you should've researched this long before getting your commercial ticket. But not to be a total ass, here's your answers.
1) north
2) now
3) who knows

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Does "Wings" magazine still do that issue in the spring, with the list of all the operators in Canada? I remember that was an easy way to scan for anyone who had a plane that was small enough for me to have a shot at getting hired to fly it, and that's how I would send out resumes and decide who to visit.

Since we don't know what ratings you have, we can't give you advice on where you need to look for work.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

wow you just finished your CPL and now your thinking about where to find a job? Just saying but maybe you should have researched this before you dropped a ton of cash on your training......................

Please tell me your trolling

BC04
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BC04 »

Hi Joe, these guys are right to say that there is a plethora of information on this subject throughout these forums, try a quick search. That being said I would hit up pilotcareercenter.com and search the operators listed on there, you can do fairly focused searches depending on the type of flying you want to do.

I hope this helps.

FL7377
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL7377 »

Step;

1 - Research all the places who start 200 hr pilots (www.pilotcareercentre.com is a good resource)
2 - Spam the industry with your resume and cover letter (everything from 704 operations to fishing lodges)
3 - Go on a road trip to the places you applied to, and be ready to start work immediately! If you have the funds make it all the way to Yellowknife applying as you go (bring a tent or sleep in your car, hotels are expensive).
4 - Enjoy!

Return to “General Comments”