Is it too late for float jobs?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

floatwannabe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is it too late for float jobs?

Post by floatwannabe »

Hey guys I'm new here. I just finished my CPL and got my float rating. Is it too late to find a job for this summer? I have a car and think I might try to drive up from Toronto but I called around and seems most places have done their hiring. Should I still give it a shot?
What about that ad for minnow trapping? Is that a good job for a first time float job? It says they will train but I've never flown a Cub only a Cessna 172.

I realize a lot of these questions have been asked before but if you can help with any advice for like the timing right now thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Is it too late for float jobs?

Post by North Shore »

The minnow job was posted a week or so ago - I'd be really surprised if it's not gone by now..
There's always a little seat-shuffling that goes on at the beginning of the season, as guys don't work out, or get a better offer, etc.
The real question is, are you going to get a float/any job by sitting on your duff in Toronto? Pack up your sh!t and hit the road, man. There's lots of info on here about road trips. Maybe you won't get a flying seat, maybe you will, but you'll certainly be front and centre for next summer if you are on the dock this one.

Good luck!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

floatwannabe wrote:Hey guys I'm new here. I just finished my CPL and got my float rating. Is it too late to find a job for this summer? I have a car and think I might try to drive up from Toronto but I called around and seems most places have done their hiring. Should I still give it a shot?
What about that ad for minnow trapping? Is that a good job for a first time float job? It says they will train but I've never flown a Cub only a Cessna 172.

I realize a lot of these questions have been asked before but if you can help with any advice for like the timing right now thanks.
Man go for it. Lots of future professional pilots got their start flying minnows in NW Ontario. Nice place to spend the summer. The poster of the Supercub Job message Faron is a great guy to work for.

AP

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

I've known Faron for almost 40 years. He was born into bush flying as was his father before him. The person who gets this job will learn than he ever imagined. Flying in and out of ponds will really hone your skills.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

I met Faron and he was great to talk to and chalk full of good advice. But just FYI he only posted that ad and thR job is not for him. I know he was looking for a dock hand a while ago. Said they get time on his Champ and swamp the Otter. Give him a call see if he's still looking.

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by currysonic »

North Shore wrote:The minnow job was posted a week or so ago - I'd be really surprised if it's not gone by now..
There's always a little seat-shuffling that goes on at the beginning of the season, as guys don't work out, or get a better offer, etc.
The real question is, are you going to get a float/any job by sitting on your duff in Toronto? Pack up your sh!t and hit the road, man. There's lots of info on here about road trips. Maybe you won't get a flying seat, maybe you will, but you'll certainly be front and centre for next summer if you are on the dock this one.

Good luck!
I'm doing just that, in case you feel lonely. I never realized you could learn quite a lot from working as a dockhand. Its not glamorous but its far better than staying idle in preparations for next flying season. Already learned to drive a forklift into (the doorway ;P) a otter/twin within a week.

I visited an operator who had a post for a 206 aircraft in Manitoba. Got to read through the stacks of resumes and understood why I was bottom of the stack. I basically can't offer much besides flying. Hopefully working at the docks this season will change that.

Best of luck to you! Hope you get some flying done this season, if not then at least don't stay idle!

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

North Shore wrote:There's always a little seat-shuffling that goes on at the beginning of the season, as guys don't work out, or get a better offer, etc.

Ha, ha. "You're just as bad as that other f**cker!!!!"

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”