Good news story

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Good news story

Post by Old fella »

I certainly remember the media blitz in the late 70's(1978/79)......... well deserved career, needless to say.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/as-air-can ... -1.2390777
---------- ADS -----------

dukepoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Good news story

Post by dukepoint »

Judy was awesome to fly with. Great head on her shoulders.

Who doesn't get the reasoning behind this being a male dominated career? I've got four daughters, and not one has a single shred intrest in what I do. Their work interests lay in health care, child care and teaching. If you think about it for a second, being an airline pilot is not that great of a career if you want to raise children and be close to family, for the most part....which most women prefer.

I don't get why humanity just can't seem to embrace the fundamental differences between our genders.

DP.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

I can imagine a child raising airline pilot and associated spouses are presented with different circumstances as compared to other professions in juggling work vs child care especially in kids younger years. Not that I can speak from experience mind you from an airline prospective. My better half was an ER/OBS nurse, then went to PEDs/NeoNate ICU, she plugged away full time between birth of our two but I was around most if not all of the time thankfully. Like you with your four girls, we all got through it by hook or crook. Had to, I suppose. My oldest is a DR and both of mine had zero interest in things aviation.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Old Fella, sounds like you were a kept man!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

yycflyguy wrote:Old Fella, sounds like you were a kept man!
After I took the "early" retirement package I, for the most part was, and enjoyed every effing day of it. I do wish it on everybody young and old - airline pilots included.

:partyman:

wowie_kazowie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wowie_kazowie »

Good story, all the best to her!

I wish things were still this 'hard'
Cameron says the hardest part was getting hired. She trained for two years at an aviation college and worked as a co-pilot on DC-3s in northern Canada for three years before Air Canada accepted her into training.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Who doesn't get the reasoning behind this being a male dominated career? I've got four daughters, and not one has a single shred intrest in what I do. Their work interests lay in health care, child care and teaching. If you think about it for a second, being an airline pilot is not that great of a career if you want to raise children and be close to family, for the most part....which most women prefer.
The problem with female pilots, or as I like to call them, pilots, is that like all pilots, every one of them have different interests, likes, personalities and family and career goals. While I agree that if you look at Canadian society as a whole, it tends to be that women are still more of the caretakers than men, I would argue that there are many other factors at play than simple biology that accounts for such a low percentage of female pilots.

The legal profession used to be dominated by men. Now, schools have a roughly 50/50 ratio of male to female students and our extremely well respected Chief Justice is female. However, what you are seeing is that a significant number of women leave private practice or the legal profession altogether after 3 to 10 years of practice. Though many males leave the practice of law as well, the percentage of women that leave is higher. I think that for whatever reason, it is more socially acceptable for men to commit to their job in unhealthy ways (and to a certain extent, abandon a significant amount of time with their family).

Personally, I would love to see more women in the flight deck, and a more realistic work/life balance in the working conditions in both aviation and law. Can it be done? Well, I suppose that's an argument for a later post on AvCanada.

Return to “Air Canada”