WestJet Pilots and Flight Attendants Race to Unionize

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: WestJet Pilots and Flight Attendants Race to Unionize

Post by flyingvinnie »

Maybe they should have interviewed more people for that article, and not just one guy who is hammered on the WJ juice?

An interesting quote, in reply to a CBC news article:

"There are a few concerns I have being a WJ pilots wife... First and most important is safety. My husband is pushed to his limits alllll the time. Working 13 hour days and 19-21 days a month not 16. Most are unpaid due to changes of bases in the company. He has been forced to commute from accross the country rather then the WEST he was hired for. When he drives home after 17-20 hr days due to his commute I worry. Sure he could choose not to further his carrier and stay commuting from the west and many have chosen that but is that fair? For the record the union is pilot run, not an outside representative. There are many more points like no loss of license insurance or no mental disability... I could go on...."
---------- ADS -----------

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

//

FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL020 »

wait a minute........

Their lives aren't all rainbow's and lollipops??
flyingvinnie wrote:Maybe they should have interviewed more people for that article, and not just one guy who is hammered on the WJ juice?

"There are a few concerns I have being a WJ pilots wife... First and most important is safety. My husband is pushed to his limits alllll the time. Working 13 hour days and 19-21 days a month not 16. Most are unpaid due to changes of bases in the company. He has been forced to commute from accross the country rather then the WEST he was hired for. When he drives home after 17-20 hr days due to his commute I worry. Sure he could choose not to further his carrier and stay commuting from the west and many have chosen that but is that fair? For the record the union is pilot run, not an outside representative. There are many more points like no loss of license insurance or no mental disability... I could go on...."

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

flyingvinnie wrote:Maybe they should have interviewed more people for that article, and not just one guy who is hammered on the WJ juice?

For the record the union is pilot run, not an outside representative. There are many more points like no loss of license insurance or no mental disability... I could go on...."
Having Pilot's run your union is WORSE, Look at ACPA, Its even worse if you let them negotiate. You wouldn't let a plumber fix your car why would you let a pilot negotiate. They are terrible at it.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

bobcaygeon has a point. BUT I think it is better than ALPA.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Look at what ALPA just negotiated for Delta. ACPA vs ALPA aside, no one can deny what an amazing TA Delta pilots are about to vote on.

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

Sounds like someone has a blonde trophy wife.

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

mantogasrsrwy wrote:

Sounds like someone has a blonde trophy wife.
Or, a wife who is sick of being basically a single parent due to base changes enforced by WJ?

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

No loss of license insurance? Is that really true?

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

"Forced to commute". Hilarious. No one is ever forced to commute, it is always a choice.

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

True North wrote:

"Forced to commute". Hilarious. No one is ever forced to commute, it is always a choice.
Not much of a choice when you are settled in Calgary. Especially if your wife has a good job there, you have a nice home there, all you babystitting/daycare arrangements are there. Then nice ol' WJ comes along and says " if you want to keep your left seat, pack your bags and move to Toronto. Or, move three hours north, so you can afford a house."

Yup, that's the friendly WJ family attitude now.

If there wasn't a need for a union, there wouldn't be a big push. Simple as that!

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Personal attack. Keep your comment civil or don't comment

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

flyingvinnie wrote:
True North wrote:

Not much of a choice when you are settled in Calgary. Especially if your wife has a good job there, you have a nice home there, all you babystitting/daycare arrangements are there. Then nice ol' WJ comes along and says " if you want to keep your left seat, pack your bags and move to Toronto. Or, move three hours north, so you can afford a house."

If there wasn't a need for a union, there wouldn't be a big push. Simple as that!
Cry me a river. It's aviation, it's inherently unstable. Airlines have bases and need to staff them. As a pilot, you go to the base or you don't, it's a choice and sometimes it's not easy. The airline is a business and like any other business exists to make money, not provide you a job anywhere you want to live.

And just FYI, no Union is ever going to change that. Get over it.

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

Cry me a river. It's aviation, it's inherently unstable. Airlines have bases and need to staff them. As a pilot, you go to the base or you don't, it's a choice and sometimes it's not easy. The airline is a business and like any other business exists to make money, not provide you a job anywhere you want to live.

And just FYI, no Union is ever going to change that. Get over it."
Wow, why so defensive? You must be starting to realize that west jet is no longer what is once was, and are getting angry at that? Or, maybe you are the captain they quoted in the article, and are mad that even your fellow pilots think you sound like an as# clown? :wink:

Or, are you also drunk on the WJ juice? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

flyingvinnie wrote:

Wow, why so defensive? You must be starting to realize that west jet is no longer what is once was, and are getting angry at that? Or, maybe you are the captain they quoted in the article, and are mad that even your fellow pilots think you sound like an as# clown? :wink:

Wrong on all accounts. I don't work for WestJet, never did and I don't work for anyone else for that matter. Been retired several years now, I just still have an active iinterest in the industry. It's disheartening to hear a bunch of self entitled whiners moaning about how mean big bad WestJet is because they opened up a couple of bases and now they might have to move. Suck it up princess, it's the airline business and no Union is going to rush in and save the day. Move or don't move, it's a choice. Make a descision, move on and shut the hell up already. I had to move 8 times during my 35 years in the biz. No sympathy.

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

True North wrote:
flyingvinnie wrote:

Wrong on all accounts. I don't work for WestJet, never did and I don't work for anyone else for that matter. Been retired several years now, I just still have an active iinterest in the industry. It's disheartening to hear a bunch of self entitled whiners moaning about how mean big bad WestJet is because they opened up a couple of bases and now they might have to move. Suck it up princess, it's the airline business and no Union is going to rush in and save the day. Move or don't move, it's a choice. Make a descision, move on and shut the hell up already. I had to move 8 times during my 35 years in the biz. No sympathy.
Man, you sound so bitter and angry. Go outside for a walk, and try to enjoy life, at least for a minute!

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

Nice! The old "I suffered so you should too" crowd. That will really help progress.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

ZBBYLW wrote:
Nice! The old "I suffered so you should too" crowd. That will really help progress.
Nice! The new "I deserve everything I want and screw the consequences" crowd. Starting the swirl around the drain.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

flyingvinnie wrote:
True North wrote:

There's always a choice; there are four, in fact, here: Move, commute, downgrade, or quit. Yes, it sucks, and I'm sure that upper management would rather that it didn't disrupt their employees, but it is the nature of business that circumstances change. I suppose that we could get into a philosophical discussion about the nature of businesses: would the WJ employee group take a smaller profit share or reduced share value if the business was run somewhat inefficiently, so as to keep people on the bases that they were originally hired for? I suspect that the answer to that is no, seeing as dozens of their peers have moved in response to the company's needs.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
kaput
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kaput »

flyingvinnie wrote:
True North wrote:

What a sense of entitlement.... You remind me of that old joke, "what's the difference between God and a pilot? God doesn't think he's a pilot."

It's union slobs like yourself who turn a well oiled machine into a junk heap incapable of change.

Return to “WestJet”