what do you guys know about chicks working in the bush?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Jetlag
Rank 0
Rank 0

what do you guys know about chicks working in the bush?

Post by Jetlag »

Was reading some of the posts from bush flying, I have been intimidated by persuing a job up north as I am a girl and from the city.What I imagine up North is Billy Buck Buck and his wife/sister churning butter in a Quan set. I have realized maybe I can hack it up North, or at least give it my best.
Moved to log cabin going on 3 years, wood heated on a quarter section in the middle of bfn.My hubby works in the bush 6 months a year, so I am isolated anyways.
I have my commercial helicopter, I am an Ame apprentice, and I am finishing up my conversion to fixed wing.No real flying experience(loggable, thats another can of worms though)except for the training, worked ramp jobs while in school. Seems to point to bush, where I keep trying to get a city job.Oh yeah and I am laid off from my last job in stores at NCA because of this oil nonsense in Alberta, so flying or wrenching for them is out of the window now.What do you guys think? do you know any girls that fly in the bush that have lasted.
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: what do you guys know about chicks working in the bush?

Post by Heliian »

Several, in fact you may be better suited than a lot of the new pilot guys out there.

You will however be subject to more "attention" from your male coworkers and customers in the bush.

On the plus side, a female in camp usually means more and better facilities and the guys will go the extra mile to keep things clean.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Drop userid: 'Flybabe' a PM - she's been splashing, wopping, and whooshing around in the bush for a few (15?) years..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I've never really noticed any difference between men and women when it comes to flying ability. Being a "bush" pilot, the main qualification is that you want to do it, because there are a lot easier ways to make it to the "top" in this racket.

I would say, if you really want to be a "bush" pilot, then you already meet the number one criterion. You have to really want it.

I haven't met very many female aviators who really want to be "bush" pilots. I don't know why that is, but I must say I haven't met very many male pilots lately who do either.

I say go for it. Female pilots may tell a different story, but I have never witnessed any overt gender discrimination in bush flying. If you can fly, and I mean really fly, and you believe that flying is an art, and want to fly these kinds of aeroplanes, then do it. Nobody will try to stop you.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Jetlag
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jetlag »

Thanks for the words of wisdom folks.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

I know a couple chicks roaming around the Yukon, or who recently use to, who fit like a glove. All comes down to personality. If you're out-doorsy, thick skinned and have a sense of humour you'll have a hoot!

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Us chick pilots in the bush is nothing new.

They were there before I started, and they are there now. It's not virgin territory, so to speak :)

Attitude counts for a lot.

Thanks North Shore for the shoutout :)

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

Its not about operating the controls of the AC: Some do a better job then the guys. Its about the other stuff. Loading 45's, and dragging 100 lb propane tanks 100 yds to the cabin, trouble shooting outboard problems, fixing boat leaks, lighting fridges, etc.
A good bush pilot is knowledgeable; and strong enough to complete these tasks. But I know guys that just fly away anyways, and not give it a thought.

BH

LilyoftheValley
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LilyoftheValley »

You are in a better position then most chicks trying to start out in bush flying with the experiences you have, so you may have an easier time of it. But don't let anyone tell you there isn't discrimination out there. It really depends on the operator, so do your research and trust your instinct on the company. Don't rush in to the first job offer you get. I've been lucky to work for some very fair operators, but it took a lot of work to find the right ones to work for. I've talked to operators that have laughed "because they'd like to see me load a drum into a beaver" or have told me they pride themselves in only hiring white males. (Yes I was pretty astonished when I got that comment). It takes a lot of hard work and determination, but it gets easier as the years go by and you earn more respect. A good operator will realize there are somethings that guys do better, like throwing a 100lber of propane over their shoulder (i strategize those situations and use ramps and ropes as needed), but somethings us chicks do better too. And if they realize both sides, then you know they will be a fair operator. I hope my experiences have given you some insight. Best of luck to you.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

LilyoftheValley wrote:I've talked to operators that have laughed "because they'd like to see me load a drum into a beaver" or have told me they pride themselves in only hiring white males. (Yes I was pretty astonished when I got that comment).
I am astonished too. I apologize if it seemed in my last post that I was trivializing this discrimination. It's just that I have carefully chosen who I work for as well, therefore I must have limited my exposure to these people.
black hole wrote: Its about the other stuff. Loading 45's, and dragging 100 lb propane tanks 100 yds to the cabin, trouble shooting outboard problems, fixing boat leaks, lighting fridges, etc

BH
Some of your post was on target, but here I think you are confusing "bush pilots" and "camp pilots". Some camp pilots might be bush pilots and vice-versa, but not necessarily. I fly "bush" planes year-round full-time, and it's been many a long year since I've had to hump anything other than my own bed-roll up a hill to a cabin, or fix anything other than minor stuff on my plane. All that camp crap is definitely someone else's problem! Someone who gets paid to deal with it!

Anyway, shifting heavy stuff is all about technique. Like Lilyofthevalley says, ramps and ropes are the tools for this kind of stuff. Work smarter, not harder.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”