Post by Maxpwr »

You're right, 6 months of service.
---------- ADS -----------

Propjet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ~ Sky Regional 2014 ~

Post by Propjet »

Any idea what's happening with hiring at Sky? There was an ad for the EMB position a while back. How about the Q? Have calls gone out? Just wondering where things stand and what sort of experience they are hiring at the moment.

Thanks

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

2 Q4 new hires got hired recently along with embraer FOs.
Everybody with jet and/or 705 experience.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

The TC civ av registry is showing skyservice business aviation picked up 3 q400s recently....expansion for sky regional ?

Gravity always wins
dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

Heavy check machines. Some going To Flybe.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

JoeyBarton wrote:2 Q4 new hires got hired recently along with embraer FOs.
Not quite. Buddy of mine with whom I used to fly with for almost three years went to Sky recently and is now flying the EMB. He just had 703-704 captain time on chieftains and King Airs. not more than 2400TT either.

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

I think I got rid of all the off topic comments. If you want to argue about some off shoot thought regarding this thread please do so in PM's

mushr00m
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mushr00m »

What's a typical pairing? Check-in time, duty day length? How many days a month do you have to drive/commute into work? How many days free from duty(days off) per month?
How much does it differ by equipment?
I know, lots of questions but these are the important ones for me.

Thanks for any info.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

mushr00m wrote:What's a typical pairing? Check-in time, duty day length? How many days a month do you have to drive/commute into work? How many days free from duty(days off) per month?

Thanks for any info.
1, 2 and 3 day trips on the EMB. 1 and 2 day trips on the Q. Check-ins at all hours, AM and PM. Average day is ~5 hrs of flying, ~9 hrs duty. Longest day is 5 legs on the Q, most are 3 to 4 legs. Can potentially work 20 day/month, however that is rare, most months seem to average 14-16 days of flying with a few reserve days on top.

EMB is busy, lots of flying and high turnover of crews. Many overnights and largely USNE flying. They recently added some flying to YQX, YYT, YQR, YXE and YQM on the EMB for the summer months. Q has YQM overnights and otherwise does the YTZ/YUL shuttle.

PROC_HDG

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Is it possible to commute? I live near CYQB and I'm willing to rent an appartment or a room where I'm based but is the company providing free tickets when you go back home? What roster can you expect (like 3 sets of 4 days off per month)?

Is it the samething for Jazz?

thanx

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

FOD_Vacuum wrote:
JoeyBarton wrote:2 Q4 new hires got hired recently along with embraer FOs.
Not quite. Buddy of mine with whom I used to fly with for almost three years went to Sky recently and is now flying the EMB. He just had 703-704 captain time on chieftains and King Airs. not more than 2400TT either.
You friend wasn't on the march GS ;)

As far as commuting goes, this is not a good idea for YUL based crews. YYZ has more 3 day pairings from what I understand.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

PROC_HDG wrote:
mushr00m wrote:What's a typical pairing? Check-in time, duty day length? How many days a month do you have to drive/commute into work? How many days free from duty(days off) per month?

Thanks for any info.
1, 2 and 3 day trips on the EMB. 1 and 2 day trips on the Q. Check-ins at all hours, AM and PM. Average day is ~5 hrs of flying, ~9 hrs duty. Longest day is 5 legs on the Q, most are 3 to 4 legs. Can potentially work 20 day/month, however that is rare, most months seem to average 14-16 days of flying with a few reserve days on top.

EMB is busy, lots of flying and high turnover of crews. Many overnights and largely USNE flying. They recently added some flying to YQX, YYT, YQR, YXE and YQM on the EMB for the summer months. Q has YQM overnights and otherwise does the YTZ/YUL shuttle.

PROC_HDG
Is the recent ad due to growth or people leaving for greener pastures ? Are upgrades not coming fast enough?

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

dhc# wrote:
Is the recent ad due to growth or people leaving for greener pastures ? Are upgrades not coming fast enough?
People are leaving at fairly high rates for Transat, Sunwing and many overseas. There hasn't been any fleet grown (still 5 Q 15 EMB) but utilization seems to get higher every month. Upgrades are still quick on both the Q and the EMB for qualified candidates.

PROC_HDG

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Is there a bond on the Q400 or EMB? Anyone know what it is?

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

loopa wrote:Is there a bond on the Q400 or EMB? Anyone know what it is?
No bond at SKV

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

loopa wrote:Is there a bond on the Q400 or EMB? Anyone know what it is?
No bonds.

loopa aren't you very publicly in the pool @ encore?

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I am curious because Jazz doesn't have a bond, Sky doesn't have a bond, but EVAS and GGN do. I thought maybe there would be some form of unity on that subject between the express carriers, especially now that there's talks of PML's across the board for all of them once Jazz's is exhausted.

Your detective work is impressive PROC_HDG. :lol: And no, me being interested about the bond ends at my curiosity. I like knowing about companies in our industry. And this was a piece of the pie that I didn't know about Sky. You guys seem to have a decent set up over there contrary to the impression of us on the side lines. Wonder how much longer this no bond will last if the attrition is the way demonstrated on here.

Either way, thanks for the info gentlemen. 8)

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

I'd be amazed if they ever had a bond. They have a difficult time finding the right applicants already, a bond wouldn't help the situation.

They do have a company policy, however, that you can't bid off a certain type for the first two years, or one year if you come type rated. For example, new hires on the Q400 who come with a DH8 rating are expected to spend 1 year on the Q before bidding the EMB.

PROC_HDG

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

PROC_HDG wrote:I'd be amazed if they ever had a bond. They have a difficult time finding the right applicants already, a bond wouldn't help the situation.

They do have a company policy, however, that you can't bid off a certain type for the first two years, or one year if you come type rated. For example, new hires on the Q400 who come with a DH8 rating are expected to spend 1 year on the Q before bidding the EMB.

PROC_HDG
Same policy here as well. A rather fair system I think. No money up front, no bond, but your word that you'll stay.

Surprised to hear they are having issues finding the right candidates. Is it a qualifications issue atm or personality types that are showing up? I'd think if they want 1500 hours and a CPL that they'd be able to find some sharp young people who have the right attitude to do the job? Especially since the upgrade matrix seems to only be about time on type and total time (plus all the personality/performance factors) unlike many places that have mpic/pic charts in place.

Thanks for the info dude. 8)

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

PROC_HDG wrote:I'd be amazed if they ever had a bond. They have a difficult time finding the right applicants already, a bond wouldn't help the situation.

PROC_HDG
How do they know I'm not a right applicant? What percent of experienced BE20 Captains struggle with step up to dash or emb ?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”