Seaplane prop 185

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Scandinaviansky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Seaplane prop 185

Post by Scandinaviansky »

We are operating a C-185 F on PK amphibs with a 2 blade Mc Cauley prop, which is very noisy. Any recommendations what would be the quietest seaplane prop for the 185?

Thanks, Daniel
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Seaplane prop 185

Post by fish4life »

Are you ok losing some performance off the water?

Scandinaviansky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Scandinaviansky »

Rather not, but some loss would be ok I think.

Is there any difference, noise- and performance -wise, between Hartzell, Mc Cauley and MT 3 blade props?

I assume they are significantly less noisy then the MC 2 blade?

peterdillon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by peterdillon »

The 84in Mac pulls equal to or better than a 2 blade but quite noisy. Running a 83in MT right now and it seems a lot quieter. You won't lose much if any pull if you get the right prop. Much smoother, less water erosion. The Mac is a bit slower. Cant speak for the Hartzell as we never had one.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Anyone's know of something a bit louder than a 2 blade McCauley? I'm still tied with a couple guys on the field in the volume department.. :)

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Meddler wrote:Anyone's know of something a bit louder than a 2 blade McCauley? I'm still tied with a couple guys on the field in the volume department.. :)

The two blade 88. works like a charm at pissing off the NIMBY's...
Suffice to say... Don't ask me how I know!

All the best,
TPC

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Piston Otters are pretty loud with the augmenter tubes, bit nicer noise too. I doubt they beat the deafening sound from the air being beaten into submission by the 185s with the two long blades though. I think you'd have to go to the old military no by-pass turbo-jets to find a louder aircraft.

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

goingnowherefast wrote:I think you'd have to go to the old military no by-pass turbo-jets to find a louder aircraft.
I don't think you can beat the Thunderschreech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H

The outer 2 feet of the prop was supersonic at idle. It reportedly caused nausea, headaches and even a seizure among the ground support crew.

182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 182-SS »

The Utva 66 with its 9' prop was the loudest single engine airplane I've ever heard, it was significantly louder than a 185 with the 88" seaplane prop.
It was one hell of a float plane too but some goof back east put little floats on it and sunk it, TC said no more and we ended up selling. We had the Wip 3900's worked like a hot damn.

skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skymarc »

84-86" McCauley 3 blades Black Mac 401, the best I have seen on floats.
A good performer on wheels and skis also.
The old 80" mac 403 was a poor performer and its not really worth to talk about the 83" MT prop.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

I have the 80" three blade McCauley on my A185F amphib, works great for me, everywhere from narrow rivers to small lakes. I find I can hit book numbers, also have the robertson on it. I've seen a few places where it's required to have 3 or more blades for noise issues.

Outside from doing a 550 conversion, which I don't see happening, or someone gifting me that new reversible prop, the 80" is more than fine.

Of course who am I to stand between a man and his wallet.

I'd just see what deals I could find and go from there.

peterdillon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by peterdillon »

As an earlier poster said the 401 Mac in 84 in or 86 in make a big difference compared to the old 403 seaplane prop that the later 185's came with. While functional it is the poorest bottom end performing prop there is on floats. As one of the old boys at Maxwell Propeller told me years ago "Ever try to paddle a canoe with a stick" Mac MT and Hartzell all offer newer technology props that you probably can't go to far wrong on.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”