Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mushr00m
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Middle East now open to Turbo Prop Pilots'

Post by mushr00m »

FYI

Housing in the area can range from $35000-$90000 and more CDN per year...I'm talking rent. Low-end is for an apartment, high-end for a villa.
Hydro/utilities could cost as low as $400CDN / up to $1800CDN for said apartment(in winter)/ Villa in summer...PER MONTH...Crazy expensive...Food is also more expensive..+++...etc.etc..

I recommend you all do your research about the cost of living in the area...salaries may appear high but so are the prices.
---------- ADS -----------

Flyboycanada80
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flyboycanada80 »

mushr00m wrote:FYI

Housing in the area can range from $35000-$90000 and more CDN per year...I'm talking rent. Low-end is for an apartment, high-end for a villa.
Hydro/utilities could cost as low as $400CDN / up to $1800CDN for said apartment(in winter)/ Villa in summer...PER MONTH...Crazy expensive...Food is also more expensive..+++...etc.etc..

I recommend you all do your research about the cost of living in the area...salaries may appear high but so are the prices.

Yeah rent is looking at 80K AED/ 21K US a year for a one bedroom in a highrise. Groceries/car/cell/internet are either the same or close to the same. Not sure about utilities though. Still have to look into that. Still when they pay 130K US it sounds very tempting.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

mushr00m wrote:salaries may appear high but so are the prices.

Don't forget this is the land of no tax. You can start at Encore and make $38k and give 20% of that back to the government (or 32% of your 55k starting salary at WS).

mushr00m
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mushr00m »

FYI,

There is very high probability that a VAT will be introduced as well as speculation of an income tax....
The income tax has been proposed but they are evaluating the "effects it would have socially" .i.e. mass exodus of expats.
I didn't even mention the cost of schools, if you have kids...

just sayin'........food for thought.

But it looks like you guys know the score...those were my 2 cents!

It's definitely not a move for everyone...but if you can make it work, good on ya! Fill yer boots....

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

The fact is it is not rosy anywhere anymore in this industry.

On the other hand, it is really disappointing to hear news like this from the sandpit, the place where many have gone to to make serious money but also to escape the bs of their own jobs....now it seems the tide is reversing...

Anyone know how the accommodation system works over there nowadays? Do you still get your townhouse or they give you cash to find your own place?

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Which company are you asking about?

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Flyboycanada80
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flyboycanada80 »

ikarus wrote:The fact is it is not rosy anywhere anymore in this industry.

On the other hand, it is really disappointing to hear news like this from the sandpit, the place where many have gone to to make serious money but also to escape the bs of their own jobs....now it seems the tide is reversing...

Anyone know how the accommodation system works over there nowadays? Do you still get your townhouse or they give you cash to find your own place?
Emirates puts you up in accomodation depending on how big your family is ranging from an apartment to bigger villas. Also I hear quality is luck of the draw.
Fly Dubai pays you out so your on your own with accommodations. Which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you get.

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

Thanks Flyboy.
complexintentions wrote:Which company are you asking about?
EK

By the way, I've been reading a lot of your comments on ME, and you seem to have experience there if I recall....

Can you give us your take on the current "mess" at EK, because after reading many posts on PPrune, I think my head is starting to hurt! lol Is it possible that paradise is starting to fall apart over there, or is this just a temporary hick up due to their massive expansion plans?

Thank you in advance.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

ikarus wrote:Thanks Flyboy.
complexintentions wrote:Which company are you asking about?
EK

By the way, I've been reading a lot of your comments on ME, and you seem to have experience there if I recall....

Can you give us your take on the current "mess" at EK, because after reading many posts on PPrune, I think my head is starting to hurt! lol Is it possible that paradise is starting to fall apart over there, or is this just a temporary hick up due to their massive expansion plans?

Thank you in advance.
Try scrolling back to the first page, he's pretty much answered that. It was a decent gig at 73 hours/month, since the "memo" moving the overtime threshold to 90+ hrs/month its pretty hard to do that long term without ending up dead or serious medical issues. Hope your money bucket fills up before you kick the other one.

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Kuwait is not the U.A.E. and the thread is about EK. There are different degrees of screwed up over there, best to keep the airlines associated with the country you'd be based in.

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

you're right, and that will allow people reading this thread to grasp the trend in this part of the world.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Eric Janson wrote:I was in Dubai a few days ago.

Temperature on departure +44C. This was at 1100 so it would have increased a few more degrees.

You cannot spend any length of time outside in these temperatures - it is extremely uncomfortable.

I suggest that those of you that have never been to Dubai buy a ticket and go and see for yourself.

I feel the same way in many parts of Canada during the winter. The solution is the same- minimize your time outdoors, look forward to the more pleasant seasons and, if possible, plan your South-North vacation.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

As I've said previously - look further than flying a big shiny jet.

Some more big picture news:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/oilp ... -Gulf.html

I see the evidence of this everywhere in Dubai - construction has stopped at a lot of projects. Other projects consist of a big flashy billboards and nothing but sand behind it.

My favourite is Universal Studios Dubai - just an archway in the desert!

Construction has also stopped at the new Dubai airport (the one that was going to have 6 runways). They've built one!

Dubai - monument to Hubris!

Becoming an Expat voluntarily is all about the risk/reward trade off. At present in the ME it is ever increasing risk combined with ever decreasing rewards. If you have a stable job in your own country then that's the best option imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

While ME work has done well for those that went early - I think past performance is not an indicator of future success stories.

Additionally, can you handle doing as your told no matter what and keeping your mouth shut? Make no mistake that's what is expected. You are disposable. I know a few few guys that went to Emirates and a couple to Qatar, all want out desperately but are stuck on options.

Ideal candidate for ME employment today: Desperate to fly a jet, blinders, minimal self respect... Good luck...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

If I may be so bold to ask a question on this topic as a point of interest and without any intention to stir the pot as I have zilch knowledge on the ME and airline operations in general. Do I understand it correctly that accepting a flying job there, you can't just simply decide the type of work isn't for you, give your required notice and head back to your home country. Nor can you leave one country in the ME with the intention of flying for another company in the same location. I read the link from Mr. Janson's post about those high end exotic sports cars being abandoned, is this a result of folks tired of it all and drive to the airport park those fancy cars get on the next flight with just what you have with the intention of never returning.

Flyboycanada80
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flyboycanada80 »

Old fella wrote:If I may be so bold to ask a question on this topic as a point of interest and without any intention to stir the pot as I have zilch knowledge on the ME and airline operations in general. Do I understand it correctly that accepting a flying job there, you can't just simply decide the type of work isn't for you, give your required notice and head back to your home country. Nor can you leave one country in the ME with the intention of flying for another company in the same location. I read the link from Mr. Janson's post about those high end exotic sports cars being abandoned, is this a result of folks tired of it all and drive to the airport park those fancy cars get on the next flight with just what you have with the intention of never returning.
Its like any other job. Leave if you want with notice. You are however bonded so you have to pay it back if you decide to leave if you want to leave early.

On the second point the companies have a no poaching policy. This isn't to trap you there its because theyspend a ton of money recruiting and getting you there and they don't want you to just jump ship next door. Fair in my opinion.

The exotic sports cars are left at the airport because certain people rack up their debt and live a lavish life they cant sustain. If you cant pay your debts you goto jail. So instead of going to jail they flea.

If your able to live within your means you can save a TON of money. How nice to not have a mortgage back home?

As an example for FlyDubai as a first officer your EQUIVALENT Canadian GROSS income would be 270K. Food for thought.

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

Salary doesn't mean anything. What about your purchasing power ?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

So new EK bond is 5 yrs ($45,000USD), correct?

Say you just can't handle it anymore, and leave in your 3rd year? How do they get the rest of the money? They can cut your last pay check...but what if that isn't enough to recover the bond? Just curious what happens?

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

ikarus wrote:So new EK bond is 5 yrs ($45,000USD), correct?

Say you just can't handle it anymore, and leave in your 3rd year? How do they get the rest of the money? They can cut your last pay check...but what if that isn't enough to recover the bond? Just curious what happens?
AFAIK you won't be able to get an exit visa with any outstanding debt. Some parts of the ME this is true, not sure about all parts.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”