Middle East now open to Turbo Prop Pilots'

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Middle East now open to Turbo Prop Pilots'

Post by tbaylx »

Flyboycanada80 wrote:Other than taking a pay cut etc. how hard is it to come back and find a job. Do employers value the experience?
You will certainly be competitive for any airline job in Canada after returning. The issue is you're competing for an entry level airline job at the bottom of the seniority list, same as any other pilot still in Canada. In North America seniority rules, not experience once you meet the minimum entry level standards.
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

tbaylx wrote:
Flyboycanada80 wrote:Other than taking a pay cut etc. how hard is it to come back and find a job. Do employers value the experience?
You will certainly be competitive for any airline job in Canada after returning. The issue is you're competing for an entry level airline job at the bottom of the seniority list, same as any other pilot still in Canada. In North America seniority rules, not experience once you meet the minimum entry level standards.
Some personal perspective:-

After I got Command on the 737 going back to Canada became less and less of an option. It made no sense from either a career or financial viewpoint. Difference in salary was over 50%.

I didn't want to go back to being First Officer - in the past I've resigned from a good job because that's what was going to happen.

Once I started flying wide-bodied aircraft all over the World the financial and career costs of going back to Canada became even greater.

I live in a country where I am not a citizen. I own a house there and I've made it my home. It works for me.

My company sends me a ticket to wherever they need me to go on day one of my roster and sends me home on the last day of my roster. Works for me as well.

I appreciate we all have different needs and goals - but if you do decide to become Expat you will be facing this issue at some point.

Within the group of Expats I know/worked with (all nationalities) the only ones who went back to their home countries were the ones who retired.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Do you work at SriLankan airways?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

upintheair_ wrote:Do you work at SriLankan airways?
Not anymore. I work for this company:

http://www.hifly.aero/en/

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
aerosexual
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerosexual »

Eric Janson wrote:
upintheair_ wrote:Do you work at SriLankan airways?
Not anymore. I work for this company:

http://www.hifly.aero/en/
Eric, HiFly seems like an interesting company, and I hear it is much better than the competing EuroAtlantic Airways. I'm guessing it is only an option for those with an EASA licence and European citizenship?

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Lisbon is a great city to be based in. I love Portugal, like Spain without the attitude! :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”