CargoJet

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dash8pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

CargoJet

Post by dash8pilot »

Is there lots of hiring going on right now at Cargojet?
How are the working conditions?
---------- ADS -----------

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: CargoJet

Post by florch »

The first rule of Cargojet is that we never talk about Cargojet working conditions.

The second rule of Cargojet...

Minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Minimums »

florch wrote:The first rule of Cargojet is that we never talk about Cargojet working conditions.

The second rule of Cargojet...
You must like pokadots, love the sound of an alarm clock at 8pm, be allergic to daylight and the ability to retain a social life on opposite sides of the clock.

Tincan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tincan »

Cargojet is great. People that tell you differen don't know what they are talking about. At one time before the union it was rough, but now it's a different world.
For starter you have 12 GDO and 4 grey days per month. Most of the times you report at 12AM DEPART by 1:00 in the hotel by 7:00
You work a lot less here then AC WJ... not even mentioning Sunwing porter sky or jazz.... However if your doing it for time building its not a good place to be. If you go there u need to be on the 57-67 fleet otherwise not worth it.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

The thing about Cargojet is there were rumours of them getting rid of 727's. A few did not pass some checks last winter when they were gearing up for the new Purolator contract that was awarded to them. Positive side is that they are owned by Cargojet, unlike some 757/767's that are still on lease. To this day, no one seems to know if they will keep them or phase them out with more 767's which are already on the way. Progressions from 727 SO to FO are what it seems very long; but with the movement going on right now, progression might be extremely fast. I have a friend SO that was 40 spots from the most junior FO, a couple of months ago he was only 6 spots away. Not at CJ; but its a good example of how people move around.

That being said, I believe that CJ still maintains high requirements for entry on the 57/67 fleet. I have no idea if that has changed now but the Senior Vice President of Operations requires a minimum of 3000 hours including 1000 hours Jet (SO time can count towards those I think, but don't quote me on this.).

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

any other development there concerning hiring and aircraft ?

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

As well I noticed on PCC they removed YMX and YWG as pilot bases. Is this accurate or did they not need YMX and YWG as pilot bases with the fleet changes?

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

So ? Nobody ?
People willing to keep low profil can also pm.

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

watermeth wrote:So ? Nobody ?
People willing to keep low profil can also pm.
My understanding and please correct me if I'm wrong, ..any hiring would only begin at the second officer level on the 727, and any new positions would be filled internally by personnel moving up on seniority, i.e. seconds get to move into the FO positions if new positions create vacancies. There is a possibility of outside hiring if no one qualifies or applies from within but the odds are low, so I think it's pretty much a closed door unless you are willing to start out as an SO. I've heard that they are having some jump seating agreement issues or lack thereof and commuters having challenges but nothing much else.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Cargojet is a two path decision process. If you have upwards of 3000 hours total AND 1000 hours jet, you are eligible for a right seat position on the B757/B767. I know a guy with 10, 000 hours who got hired at Cargojet for right seat 767. If you have less hours, then the only way in is through the B727 SO position. From 2004 to 2014, the progression from SO to FO was extremely slow. As it reflected with the slow hiring in the industry, upgrade times were as slow as 3 to 4 years back-seat. But now that our industry has evolved into positive grown and that hiring will continue at at constant rate for a few years, upgrade times can be as fast as 1 year or 6 months. Make sure you have IATRA or ATPL written and your good. ATPL written and/or ATPL license allows you to upgrade from a B727 SO to 757 FO if one appears on a bid sheet(But don't quote me on that specification).

They wanted to get rid of the 727 a while back. But with the new contracts awarded by Purlolator/Canada Post, UPS, DHL, First Air and the many ad-hoc charters, management has no immediate plans to retire it for now.

Sched is not bad. Usually 13/14 days on a month. All pilots are now based in Hamilton, where Cargojet invested Millions to build their own hangar near the Aviation Museum. They used to have bases in YMX and YWG, but those where cut last year when they decided to move everything to Hamilton. The B727 has now entered a quick turnover pilot schedule, while the B767/757 are more for the long term career guys. Some routes are night, but alot is during the day with ad-hoc stuff. The B727 flies some portions of the Purolator contract to Winnipeg and Western Cities or to St. Johns. They now have apparently a Cuban destination on Sundays. While the B767/757 has mixed cargo ranging from Purolator, UPS, DHL. The B767 often goes to Europe and some Asian destinations.

Company might seem big but it really isn't. They have achieved a positive stability and I believe are entering a period where internal national growth will stop and grow internationally instead.

The only downside is that as of now, there are no jump-seat agreements with other airlines. Not really great to work for a major 705 operation and not even have standby agreements with other airlines. Even some Northern Ontario 703/704 operators with a fleet of less than 15 have jump seat agreements with AC or WJ. I know of pilots that have to spend from their own wallet for flights to and from where they live.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

$30/ barrel oil will probably help keep those 727's flying to.

johngalt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by johngalt »

Any updates on cargo jet?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”