The number of STARs and SIDs at CYYZ

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

The number of STARs and SIDs at CYYZ

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Today while enroute to CYYZ, I decided to count the numbers of STARs and SIDs published for CYYZ. There are 95 pages of them published in the Jeppesen (paper version), perhaps more than for any airport in the World.

I also have an electronic logbook. I checked how many times I had operated out of CYYZ in my career: 440 times. I operated there in piston, tuboprop and jet aircraft. I always seem to use the same 4 or 5 STARs and SIDs.
Most of those published, I never used, or even ever heard them being used by others.

Why are there so many ?

Edit:

This morning I checked an electronic version of the Jepps. In the electronic version :

Number of STARs

CYYZ 39
KJFK 6
EGLL 20
EHAM 8
KMIA 9
LFPG 33

Number of SIDs

CYYZ 54
KJFK 5
EGLL 14
EHAM 48
KMIA 14
LFPG 53
---------- ADS -----------

hydro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: The number of STARs and SIDs at CYYZ

Post by hydro »

I'm assuming that count is each individual transition to a SID as a separate SID in that number. The SID's are much longer now, and encompass what would be preferred routings.

Honest question, Is there much of a difference on your end if there's a short SID to 30 miles out of YYZ plus multiple preferred route options instead of the (new) way of having a new SID last 100-150 miles with 3 or more transitions?

In addition some new SIDs were added only 5-6 miles away laterally from the previous SID, to give unrestricted climbs earlier.

An example in one area of my airspace that changed from 1 into 12. We had one SID for jets to aprox 30-50 miles out. Turboprops on that route used a normal preferred routing. It's now 2 SIDs (6 miles apart) for jets, 3 transitions each. Turbo's get a version of each of those sid/transitions. 1 SID turned into 4 SID's each with 3 transitions.

Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

RE the number of STARS.

5 runways....5 bedpost fixes. That is a LOT of combinations for arrival routes.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:
Number of STARs

CYYZ 39
KJFK 6
EGLL 20
EHAM 8
KMIA 9
LFPG 33

Number of SIDs

CYYZ 54
KJFK 5
EGLL 14
EHAM 48
KMIA 14
LFPG 53
YYZ figured they had to be better than CDG?!

What strikes me as odd is that AMS has 48 SIDs but only 8 STARs!

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

hydro wrote:Honest question, Is there much of a difference on your end if there's a short SID to 30 miles out of YYZ plus multiple preferred route options instead of the (new) way of having a new SID last 100-150 miles with 3 or more transitions?
Yes. When this was first implemented, a lot of folks were caught off guard as there is no enroute phase anymore when flying from YYZ to YOW. The SID goes right to a STAR, and the altitudes don't sync up too well. Specifically, if you're happily climbing out on the SID from YYZ, which terminates at KANIK, and you are transitioned to the CAPITAL STAR for an approach to runway 07, you now have to quickly get down to below 10,000 feet (the "not above" altitude for the LANRK waypoint).

Return to “ATS Question Forum”