Source of power for ipad electronic flight bag

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Source of power for ipad electronic flight bag

Post by upintheair_ »

Doing a bit of research for someone. Looking to set up an electronic flight bag, he wants to have the ability to charge them in flight. Currently the aircrafts have cig lighters but they run off a (IIRC) 28v system. We've noticed them having issues charging SPOTS, and I've tested a few ipads and my phone and the current is just too high for a standard cig lighter/USB adapter. I'm looking into wired options, but that would require an STC, I believe.

What would it take to install somthing like this, http://www.jaycar.com.au/Sight-%26-Soun ... t/p/PS2017 with some sort of resistor to knock the power down to what you would see in a car... around 12-14v.

Or if you have any other suggestions for components to install.

Thanks...
---------- ADS -----------

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Source of power for ipad electronic flight bag

Post by CID »

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

I got something similar to this. This is the hard case but comes also in a small binder and can be various sizes. It will charge tons of things and can even boost your car/plane if needed. Cat's ass for convenience and has insane battery power. Kept my iPad charged for a week with power to spare on one trip!!! About 100$

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

I installed Foreflight on my iPad but found that the battery was only good for about four hours. I purchased a dual charger (iPad/cell phone) from Andre's that is connect to ship 12V power via a power point (cigarette lighter receptacle). I took the system across Canada and back a couple of months ago and it worked well. There are similar items that are 12/24 volt...

John

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

deleted

Last edited by upintheair_ on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Crappy tire sells that kind of outlet... This http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/type- ... iVSlvlVhBc is the one I have in my plane and my car. Runs my iPad with no issues. You can get fancier ones too. They sell a Duracell version for about 25$ that has tons of options and adapters as well.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Voltage regulators aren't rocket science. You can buy a solid state regulator that will turn 12-30V into 12VDC regulated, for about a buck at Digikey. There has to be an off-the-shelf cigarette-lighter adapter that does the same.

Note that you need one that has a USB port that works with Apple devices if you want to maintain a charge. Not all USB charge ports are created equal, and Apple devices require certain signals before they'll accept high-current charging (and you need that to maintain a charge while flying).

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/dual- ... arger.html
I use this one on a 28V system. I can charge an iPad and my Stratus or 2 iPads at the same time. Haven't thrown a meter on it to see what current draw it is though. Two of these plugged into a Y adapter would probably be more than you need.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

+1 for the Sporty's one. Seen it used at work briefly and seemed to work good. If I remember correctly it put out 1.5 mA at 5VDC. Plenty enough to run/charge most devices. In the end it was found easier to just charge their EFBs on the ground.

As for it's own current draw, I cant see it being anymore than an actual cigarette lighter (who remembers those :) ).

Return to “Maintenance”