August Equipment Results

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: August Equipment Results

Post by Oxi »

anyone know if they have two ground schools a month till spring still?
---------- ADS -----------

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Kosiw wrote:So is Jazz purposly hiring more low time pilots than those with more time and experience, because of the current wawcon ? Or are there other reasons ?
From what I understand they are looking for pilots who are going to stick around for a while. By hiring 3000+ hour pilots, there's a strong chance that after a year or two they will try to be off to AC or WJ. And then another round of hiring needs to be done to replace them. By hiring 1500 +- hour pilots, they are more or less going to get 3-5 years out of them before they have the qualifications and ambitions to move onto something bigger. Weather that be AC, WJ, Transat etc.

TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TrailerParkBoy »

upintheair_ wrote:
Kosiw wrote:So is Jazz purposly hiring more low time pilots than those with more time and experience, because of the current wawcon ? Or are there other reasons ?
From what I understand they are looking for pilots who are going to stick around for a while. By hiring 3000+ hour pilots, there's a strong chance that after a year or two they will try to be off to AC or WJ. And then another round of hiring needs to be done to replace them. By hiring 1500 +- hour pilots, they are more or less going to get 3-5 years out of them before they have the qualifications and ambitions to move onto something bigger. Weather that be AC, WJ, Transat etc.
There has never been a problem to keep pilots around at Jazz...well at least before the new contract was negotiated!

Now the company doesn't want pilots to stay long because they will be too expensive to be competitive with the other Express carriers!

The reason stated above is sort of correct. But I am sure the higher time pilots choose a quicker progression to the left seat...aka Sky Regional and Encore!

Jazz benefits don't mean much in the short term!

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

upintheair_ wrote:
A new hire 3000 hour Jazz pilot vs a 1000 hour will have the same chance at getting to AC once the PML list is exhausted, along with the other AC Express Carriers (Air Georgian, EVAS & Sky Regonial) If they wanted to go to Westjet then why not go to Encore and get on the list?

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Hi Everyone,
When your invited to start training, after passing all the interview steps, exactly how does the aircraft and base selection play out?

If your from YYC and are eagerly wanting YYC base, how easy it to get YYC base if I pull a Montreal base from the random draw?

Also, how likely is it to get CRJ yyc base ?

thanks for replies!

Maver!ck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maver!ck »

seriousflyer wrote:Hi Everyone,
When your invited to start training, after passing all the interview steps, exactly how does the aircraft and base selection play out?

If your from YYC and are eagerly wanting YYC base, how easy it to get YYC base if I pull a Montreal base from the random draw?

thanks for replies!
Sept 21st GS was 8 Q400 in YYC. There are openings in pretty much every base on every airplane. If you are looking to be based in YYC your chances are pretty good because that base seems to be the one that needs the most pilots.

If you absolutely want the RJ then pick it if you can even if it is in YUL because you should get your transfer to YYC in no time.
If you absolutely want YYC right of the bat then I believe you will have to pick the Q400.

Good Luck !

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

seriousflyer wrote:Hi Everyone,

thanks for replies!
The random draw is for order of picking the available positions, not the positions themselves. Although there have been cases when the order didn't matter, as the whole groundschool was getting YYC DH8 or whatever.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Like this last one, apparently 10 YYC Q positions.

I think if you were ever part of ALPA you get priority over others.. AKA Bearskin or whatever.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

The last GS was 8 and as mentioned YYC Q. ALPA members based on date of hire at their previous company will hold seniority over the other new hires.

All DAY EVERY DAY
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by All DAY EVERY DAY »

Any news about the Nov 2 GS? Calgary Q spots?

Maver!ck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maver!ck »

All DAY EVERY DAY wrote:Any news about the Nov 2 GS? Calgary Q spots?
You will know what spots are available on Nov 2nd.
Alot of YYC spots available !

CYCG
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CYCG »

Jazz now has a process of 2 sim evals. This just happened over the last week or so I believe. One in full motion, one non motion.

Anyone know why? Looking for more information on this new process for a friend.
Thanks

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Where'd you hear that?

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

It's a temporary thing. The company is looking to change to a FTD for Evans. They are using up too much time on the Full motion sims apparently..

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

Then why would they still have those going to the Calgary non motion sim still do a full motion D sim? Perhaps, if you can't get past the standard sim they don't bring you to the D?

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

There is no Calgary sim

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

BingBong wrote:There is no Calgary sim

From what I understand it's a procedures sim in Calgary, prior to the full motion D. Given I know someone who has a Calgary sim date booked, I think you are incorrect.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

FWIW, Jazz does not have any simulator or IPT equipment in YYC.

Doesn't mean there wasn't any YYC evaluations going on...

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

tipsails wrote:
BingBong wrote:There is no Calgary sim

From what I understand it's a procedures sim in Calgary, prior to the full motion D. Given I know someone who has a Calgary sim date booked, I think you are incorrect.
I've worked here for 5 years. I know what's what.

At best it might be sit In front of a cockpit poster but that is totally useless and would do NOTHING for an interview.

CYCG
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CYCG »

A friend was called two days before the full motion YVR sim stating our procedures have changed. You are still booked for full motion in 2 days, but what days are you available IN YYC for another sim. So shes completed the full motion successfully and awaiting details for this poster sitting... Who knows!

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”