Has anyone on here timed out for training?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Has anyone on here timed out for training?

Post by nfpeanut »

Just wondering how many candidates are actually "timing out" for training once passing the final interview. I know realistically not everyone will get a call...but I'm just pondering if there is generally a high number in the pool that ends up timing out, instead of getting a course offering.
---------- ADS -----------

bobbert
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Has anyone on here timed out for training?

Post by bobbert »

not sure,

I guess ill know if i don't get a call by December 2016

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

You already know my position. I have approximately 8 months left.

vince79
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vince79 »

Was in the VFR pool in YUL around 2010 and timed out. Applied again last august and i'm now on a course.

Good luck !

Vince

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

I don't think I will be reapplying this time around, although I suppose you never know. This is my third time in the pool and it took almost 3 years to get to this point. I don't know if I could handle another 3 years of waiting. With 8 months left there is definitely hope but I do see the end approaching.

cdnpilot04
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cdnpilot04 »

I tried ten years ago when I was fresh out of high school. The process was a little different then. You had the testing session, followed (if successful) with a taped interview/panel review.

The first time around I didn't make it past the panel review.

Second time I made it into the FVR/FSS pool, but only ever got called for FSS.

So I decided I like being a customer instead. Been tearing up the skies over Alberta ever since! :rolleyes:

I hate to wake up and find my co-pilot asleep
nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

Well I've only passed my in person interview in September 2015, so I'm not going to freak out just yet. But several people have been chosen already to complete an IFR course at the end of this year, and they've chosen a whole class of VFR as well from the pool. So therefore I know that I am not one of the highest scoring candidates. It just got me thinking already that there might be little to no chance of me getting a call...as I'm sure in May or June they'll host a whole other assessment where a whole slew of new candidates will enter the pool, possibly lowering my chances even further. I may get a call next week, who knows. I know operational requirements can change in a heartbeat, and they are just making sure they keep enough people in the pool in the event they need a bunch, but obviously they will choose the most qualified (i.e. highest scorers) first.

Globex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Globex »

nfpeanut wrote:Well I've only passed my in person interview in September 2015, so I'm not going to freak out just yet. But several people have been chosen already to complete an IFR course at the end of this year, and they've chosen a whole class of VFR as well from the pool. So therefore I know that I am not one of the highest scoring candidates. It just got me thinking already that there might be little to no chance of me getting a call...as I'm sure in May or June they'll host a whole other assessment where a whole slew of new candidates will enter the pool, possibly lowering my chances even further. I may get a call next week, who knows. I know operational requirements can change in a heartbeat, and they are just making sure they keep enough people in the pool in the event they need a bunch, but obviously they will choose the most qualified (i.e. highest scorers) first.
May I ask how you know about the IFR and VFR courses? When's the VFR one? Which FIR?

I passed my in-person a few months ago and waiting too (YYZ)

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

I am in Gander FIR first off. And if there is anything actually scheduled on the books recruitment will tell you about it if you ask. I knew about the IFR from my interview so I called to ask her if they that had been filled. She told me it had. But at the same time I asked her if there was anything else coming up soon and she told me there was a VFR in January. About a month after I had heard about that I emailed to ask if that was filled and she confirmed it had been. Now I would say that although she can tell you many things, she's not going to volunteer a whole lot without being asked a specific question. She can only tell you what she knows for sure about scheduling. You are not going to find out where you stand in the pool or anything like that.

CarbHeat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CarbHeat »

I timed out Sept 2014. Called in a few times to be told that no courses were planned for the remainder of the fiscal year.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”