Callsign

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Callsign

Post by GRK2 »

I knew it was out there, I'd heard about it from others, and wondered what I would think when I finally heard it on the radio. I'm talking about the "Empress" call sign that someone stole and uses. Well...I finally heard it a couple of days ago. I don't fly in Canada much any more, we moved away years ago and it's rare I get to fly in Canadian airspace these days. Anyway, there we were, FL310, northbound near CYFB, listening to AC complain about the ride, working on finding a little smooth air, tracking all the "heavy" and "super" call signs to try and get a feeling of who was routing where and planning our climb strategies and watching a seriously sweet Borealis show...and then I heard it...the call sign... You see, I used it years ago, my father used it for 40 something years, friends used it, people I grew up with used it, it was part of a Canadian legacy, and it represents to me, Airline history in Canada. How is it that someone else has the temerity to use it? How is it that a small carrier gets to use something that isn't theirs to use? I obviously have feelings to the contrary, and simply put, think this is a shame. It's a slap in the face to all those CP employees who used it with a certain pride. It was hard enough to watch the Airline trashed by short thinkers, and taken apart by mean spirited rivals who grinned like the devil when they got their little muddy hands on the reins. That old company has a place in Canadian flying history, and the use of that call sign is a big part of that history. I know I can't change the fact that it's being used, maybe they think that they are keeping the flame flickering by it's very use, but I'm going to say it's wrong. Too bad, the ghosts of the old CP pilots are turning in their graves, and the old salts who made the pathless ways an "Empress" route will tell you the same. Find something else to use. You're better than that.

GRK
---------- ADS -----------

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Callsign

Post by leftoftrack »

You live up to your user name

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Too bad, the ghosts of the old CP pilots are turning in their graves, and the old salts who made the pathless ways an "Empress" route will tell you the same. Find something else to use. You're better than that.
If I am rolling over in my grave over the use of a callsign, dig me up and hit me with the shovel.

Do your job, do your job well, you may even enjoy it, but don't let it become you.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

Lots of crazies on the board these days, well, slightly more than usual.

So, in 1987 CP merged with Nordair and PWA to form Canadian Airlines International.

Two years after this, Canadian (Formerly CP), founded Canadian North to focus on the needs of northern Canada, and adopted the call sign Empress. So essentially It's still CP. Get off your horse. Be happy that a part of Canadian Airline history is being continued through what is essentially the modern CP.

E

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Well, so far one response makes no sense, and the other guy doesn't give a sh*t. Not much of a cross section of the industry I suppose. I do know that lots won't care because they just don't give a toss about anything except their own opinion and the amount of that T4... One thing I am sure about though, is at one time, that old call sign garnered some respect and despite the orange paint, there was a Canadian Pacific Goose underneath that new paint. The old guys and girls who flew the North Pacific, built the DEW Line, opened up the high Arctic, developed the South Pacific routes, and took Canada and the rest of the continent over Russia into China earned my respect a long time ago. Canadian North? Not really doing the same work are they? Anyway, call me crazy if you like, but I believe the history of the call sign is important to those who know how hard the work was, and how that name became synonymous with a great Canadian air carrier..

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

So, we should 'Jackie Robinson 42' the empress callsign? Let's keep things in perspective here. It's a word, not a legacy.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

GRK2 wrote:Well, so far one response makes no sense
GRK it's the TLA for Jerk, and you're acting like one. Like CIL said, if anyone is concerned about the call sign of a corporate entity they have missed the point of life

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Like esp803 said, Canadian North is the direct descendant of CP Air. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that. Should I not have my grandfather's last name because I didn't help to develop the rural west the way he did? I know a few pilots from 5T, and they're proud of their company, they're proud of its history, and they're damn good at their jobs. It's one of my top choices for career airlines, and I would be just as proud to work there as they are.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

GRK2 wrote:It was hard enough to watch the Airline trashed by short thinkers, and taken apart by mean spirited rivals who grinned like the devil when they got their little muddy hands on the reins.
Thats capitalism. If you're business sucks, product sucks, or you just have poor management (not suggesting CP was all of those at once), then you won't last. And companies will take advantage of that.

I agree that there is some prestige and history with the callsign. Its nice to hear a non-relateable callsign like Speedbird, Cactus, or even Empress. The callsign doesnt have any relation to the operators real name. But its a callsign. A word. And 5T has history with CP. It was apart of Canadian as much as "Empress" is apart of Canadian North.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

GRK2 wrote: despite the orange paint, there was a Canadian Pacific Goose underneath that new paint.
Like this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_ ... 7-275C.jpg

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

My old military callsign's for sale. Shall we start the bidding at, say....$500?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Rockie wrote:My old military callsign's for sale. Shall we start the bidding at, say....$500?
Was it "Marx"?

Although, as someone just pointed out, that's very capitalist of you Rockie...changing your tune a bit? :mrgreen:

Don't forget to pay the taxes....you should have a nickel left.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Of course not - "Karl" is much easier to understand over the radio in the heat of battle. I plan to donate the proceeds to the communist party and get a sweet tax deduction from it.
:wink:

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Regional1 uses Air Canada's "old" TransCanada callsign (*cough* I mean radio-telephony designator...neerrdd). Are they not 'worthy' of using that either GRK2?

I reckon Canadian North has been using the 'Empress' callsign longer than CP has by now anyways.

GRK2 obviously has little idea of what flying Canadian North does - from my experience they still do some pretty tough work up North with the Dashes and those (few remaining) ol' -200s. I think they can call themselves whatever the f*** they want...

"Carlos Spicy-Wiener..."

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

I feel sad for those with nothing relevant to add to anything and simply think they are funny. Opinions are always going to be contrary to what others believe, it's what makes life interesting. I don't believe I'll be back...AVCANADA wins again. Very little relevant content and lots of little kids yelling over each other so mommy might notice.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Oh come on, lighten up. You're upset someone stole a call sign near and dear to you and that's fine, but what do you expect from other people with your post? We can agree, disagree, ignore or have a little fun. Most people just aren't that attached to a company they used to work for - sorry.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

There's no reasoning with this guy.

Last edited by Changes in Latitudes on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

GRK2 wrote:I feel sad for those with nothing relevant to add to anything and simply think they are funny. Opinions are always going to be contrary to what others believe, it's what makes life interesting. I don't believe I'll be back...AVCANADA wins again. Very little relevant content and lots of little kids yelling over each other so mommy might notice.
No one stole the call sign. Canadian North is flying the same old Canadian Airlines aircraft that your dad or whoever flew on the same routes. They are all that's left of Canadian Airlines and hence kept the same callsign.

The CIA are the real call sign stealers :) They were using Jetsgo's on prisoner extradition flights in the middle east at one time.

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

GRK2 wrote: Anyway, there we were, FL310, northbound near CYFB, listening to AC complain about the ride, working on finding a little smooth air, tracking all the "heavy" and "super" call signs to try and get a feeling of who was routing where and planning our climb strategies and watching a seriously sweet Borealis show...and then I heard it...the call sign... You see, I used it years ago, my father used it for 40 something years, friends used it, people I grew up with used it, it was part of a Canadian legacy, and it represents to me, Airline history in Canada. How is it that someone else has the temerity to use it? How is it that a small carrier gets to use something that isn't theirs to use? I obviously have feelings to the contrary, and simply put, think this is a shame. It's a slap in the face to all those CP employees who used it with a certain pride. It was hard enough to watch the Airline trashed by short thinkers, and taken apart by mean spirited rivals who grinned like the devil when they got their little muddy hands on the reins. That old company has a place in Canadian flying history, and the use of that call sign is a big part of that history. I know I can't change the fact that it's being used, maybe they think that they are keeping the flame flickering by it's very use, but I'm going to say it's wrong. Too bad, the ghosts of the old CP pilots are turning in their graves, and the old salts who made the pathless ways an "Empress" route will tell you the same. Find something else to use. You're better than that.

GRK
Northbound at FL310 near CYFB. Hmm...Let me guess? Cathay to HKG. Flight direction and altitude makes sense, from the US East coast (or YYZ) to Asia. Plus you're saying you dont fly across Canada often, so I'm assuming you're not flying for a US carrier either. So it must be an Asian carrier. KE, MU and CA can also be it.

You seem to be awfully interested in an old Canadian callsign, for a guy who, in all intents and purposes, sold his soul for the highest bidder and is now flying 15 hr legs across the North pole for an Asian carrier ! If your Canadian roots are so well entrenched that you feel the need to raise an issue about an old callsign, why aren't you flying for a Canadian carrier?

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

thenoflyzone wrote:why aren't you flying for a Canadian carrier?
Cheap shot! How about lack of jobs, carreer advancement, salary, etc... :smt003

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”