How long before I can afford to move out of parents basement

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cgar1989
Rank 0
Rank 0

How long before I can afford to move out of parents basement

Post by Cgar1989 »

Does anyone have an idea of what the upgrade time would be for a guy starting at Jazz right now would be? I don't know how long I can afford to make less then 40k a year.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

Post by TrailerParkBoy »

Most junior Captain started at Jazz in April 2011 and is based in YYC.

Cgar1989
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cgar1989 »

Thats great thanks. So with all the movement and hiring going on at Jazz one could expect that or even less time?

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

I have two close friends working at Jazz now, under the new contract; One with 2 kids and stay-at-home wife, the other has 3 kids and his wife works part time..Both seem to manage pretty good and they have mortgages too. Not sure why you can't manage to move out of your parents basement. Maybe a money management problem ? Not trying to be rude to you but I have lived on less (way less)than what Jazz is paying now and managed to have my own place, car, girlfriend, paid a little bit of debt down and even went out once in a while.

mike06x
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mike06x »

the poster is just trying to be an ass. Jazz still pays better than Sky and Georgian and Encore. if not in starting salary than the per diems will make up for it real quick. about 12-13k a year in per diems tax free. Those base salaries are also based off of an average monthly and with the reduced crews we operate now, more guys are working higher average blocks leading to more overtime anyways. No, it is not idea and yes we deserve more but you can thank the Sky Regional and Encore crews for lowering the bar for us. We all deserve more but Jazz pilots got forced into the contract or face continued reduction in flying to cheaper regional partners. Welcome to the regional game guys.

With Air Canada now spooling up hiring, they are taking about 15 to 20 pilots a month from Jazz. The upgrade time will start to move up pretty quickly now. There are a lot of vacancies leading to a lot of movement, even if you don't get your desired base, chances are you will have the option to move pretty quick. Being on reserve won't last very long either. Jazz also has a good diversity of equipment available, but the Q seniority seems to move fastest in YYC and Dash moves slowest in YVR.

Hope that all helps

dirk82
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirk82 »

mike06x wrote:the poster is just trying to be an ass. Jazz still pays better than Sky and Georgian and Encore. if not in starting salary than the per diems will make up for it real quick. about 12-13k a year in per diems tax free. Those base salaries are also based off of an average monthly and with the reduced crews we operate now, more guys are working higher average blocks leading to more overtime anyways. No, it is not idea and yes we deserve more but you can thank the Sky Regional and Encore crews for lowering the bar for us. We all deserve more but Jazz pilots got forced into the contract or face continued reduction in flying to cheaper regional partners. Welcome to the regional game guys.

With Air Canada now spooling up hiring, they are taking about 15 to 20 pilots a month from Jazz. The upgrade time will start to move up pretty quickly now. There are a lot of vacancies leading to a lot of movement, even if you don't get your desired base, chances are you will have the option to move pretty quick. Being on reserve won't last very long either. Jazz also has a good diversity of equipment available, but the Q seniority seems to move fastest in YYC and Dash moves slowest in YVR.

Hope that all helps

So your saying if you work overtime and use your lunch money to pay your rent all will be ok since the wait times to the left seat are less than 6 years now due to the old jazz pilots moving on to AC in record numbers under that sweet deal they made off the backs of the 2015 hires?

The Logic makes perfect sense.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahsh

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

mike06x wrote:the poster is just trying to be an ass. Jazz still pays better than Sky and Georgian and Encore. if not in starting salary than the per diems will make up for it real quick. about 12-13k a year in per diems tax free. Those base salaries are also based off of an average monthly and with the reduced crews we operate now, more guys are working higher average blocks leading to more overtime anyways. No, it is not idea and yes we deserve more but you can thank the Sky Regional and Encore crews for lowering the bar for us. We all deserve more but Jazz pilots got forced into the contract or face continued reduction in flying to cheaper regional partners. Welcome to the regional game guys.
Sky's total package is better than Jazz - Both Encore's FO and GGN's RJ FO pay is above the 3 year level for a Jazz FO now - I think Jazz has placed the bar at new lows - when you are a public company with shareholders demanding higher profits/dividends and increasing competition I guess that's what happens :) Jazz elders will have their newbies paying for their well being for a few years :) they are lucky and Jazz is a good company overall.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

fruitloops wrote:
Sky's total package is better than Jazz - Both Encore's FO and GGN's RJ FO pay is above the 3 year level for a Jazz FO now - I think Jazz has placed the bar at new lows - when you are a public company with shareholders demanding higher profits/dividends and increasing competition I guess that's what happens :) Jazz elders will have their newbies paying for their well being for a few years :) they are lucky and Jazz is a good company overall.
If you truly believe that then you and your counterparts should go to SKY and GGN. The less of you that apply the sooner that Jazz will realize that being at the bottom of the pay grid may put the ability to staff the schedule at risk.

It is a 'sellers market' for pilots right now. You have choices. Start acting like that is the case and stop blaming people that were flying airplanes and fighting to improve the overall lifestyle of regional pilots before you were born.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Big +1 rudder

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

Cgar1989 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what the upgrade time would be for a guy starting at Jazz right now would be? I don't know how long I can afford to make less then 40k a year.

Thanks

The question is When will your parents finally kick you out?

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

Hey!

No one is forcing anyone to apply at a 705.
You like flying what you really flying right now and making the money you really making right now?
Then keep on doing so.

But really guys ?
There 's a post for every single 705 out there full of complaints and negativity.

There are a few thousands pilots in Canada employed by 705 ops and clearly there 's a huge line up of candidates still in line.

So please , be an aviation professional or passionate and remain such.

Andy

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”