Female aircraft engineer needed for mentoring - know anyone?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Female aircraft engineer needed for mentoring - know anyone?

Post by snoopy »

IS THIS YOU?? MENTOR URGENTLY NEEDED!

If you or someone you know is a female licensed and experienced aircraft engineer, read on! We're looking for a gal AME located in the Lower Mainland, BC available to volunteer as a role model from 12pm - 1:30pm on November 21, 2015. If you can help out I'd love to hear from you! It's for a short, school-based career mentoring event for girls in Surrey, BC. Please pm me asap for more details and to express interest! Thanks for any help with this!
---------- ADS -----------

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
Girl17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Female aircraft engineer needed for mentoring - know any

Post by Girl17 »

About how much would a job like that pay? If it's only an hour and a half or so, I'd be happy to do it for about a hundred bucks.

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Hi Girl17,
We're looking for volunteers that are willing to share their experiences as an AME with young girls at a small mentoring event to inspire participants to explore many cool options available to them.
Thanks,
snoopy

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Meeka?

Girl17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Girl17 »

Oh, sorry. I don't volunteer for things like that. I feel it's gender discrimination: whether we're selectively encouraging people or selectively discouraging people, it's still selective, and that's not right.

Even if it was girls AND boys, I'd still want to be paid, however. I'm not sure I would really encourage anyone to get into aviation as a career. Most people could set their sights a little higher. That's what I would advise young girls. Set your sights higher.

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Meecka »

Sorry guys, I'm in Ontario. Otherwise I'd be game for it. I have no problem passing knowledge on to the next generation.

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Meecka »

Girl17 wrote: I'm not sure I would really encourage anyone to get into aviation as a career. Most people could set their sights a little higher. That's what I would advise young girls. Set your sights higher.
Perhaps you should look for a new profession. Clearly this one ain't working out for you.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Considers $66 per hour volunteering. Suggests people should set their sights higher. #shouldbeameme

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

I feel like slapping people every time I hear the same thing over again. "I would never let my kids get into flying..." or "Set your sights higher..."
As if this industry is something a McDonalds worker would laugh at. I think it's a great career. I don't know the 705 world, but I get to stay connected to Family that I normally wouldn't, I get paid well, I get more time off than my spouse, I get benefits, I get travel benefits. Every job starts at the bottom somewhere. Yes we are 2015, but the sad fact is that its still a male dominated Job. Whats wrong with shedding light on the industry to young females? The same way the public doesn't think the FO's touch the controls, is the same as when they see a female in the cockpit. We in the industry are in 2015, but the general public is still in the 60's. I think Girl17 is due for a career change. Maybe a teacher or nurse??

I guess I should write something here.
Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

It depends on the context for me, I have volunteered more than once at high school career days in my area. I just tell them everything they need to know good or bad. I usually get 5-6 students wanting to know more after the presentation. I don't sugar coat anything regarding the trade because it is not fair to them to only hear the good stuff. The RCMP officer that presented before me did much of the same.

If this mentoring program is really just for a College that is trying to attract more female students at the tune of $20k a pop...I want my cut. But if this is really about just getting more young females into the trade and not about increasing head count at a college then I'm all for it. Worked with two female AME's over my career and they were both excellent technicians.

I think it is a great idea to have a successful female in the trade speak to young girls, hope you find someone.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Girl17 wrote:Oh, sorry. I don't volunteer for things like that. I feel it's gender discrimination: whether we're selectively encouraging people or selectively discouraging people, it's still selective, and that's not right.

Even if it was girls AND boys, I'd still want to be paid, however. I'm not sure I would really encourage anyone to get into aviation as a career. Most people could set their sights a little higher. That's what I would advise young girls. Set your sights higher.
I don't discriminate either, you sound like someone who gets their way by being whiney and complaining about fairness to further yourself and should find another field. How self absorbed can you be? You probably work in a hostile environment created by your own presence.

All of the female engineers I've ever met would jump at the chance to encourage others to get into the field. They would even take a day off to do so at their own expense. Unfortunately none in the lower mainland. You sound like someone i met years ago who has no business being in this industry, or any other, with that terrible attitude.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I see that Girl17 is now trolling something more than just the Hawkair CEO.

I'm glad that she/he will not be volunteering for this position.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Troubleshot wrote:...If this mentoring program is really just for a College that is trying to attract more female students at the tune of $20k a pop...I want my cut. But if this is really about just getting more young females into the trade and not about increasing head count at a college then I'm all for it. Worked with two female AME's over my career and they were both excellent technicians.

I think it is a great idea to have a successful female in the trade speak to young girls, hope you find someone.
Well said

(I've given girl guides a tour through the aircraft a few times just so they will get the idea that a girl can be anything she wants to be - a pilot, an AME, a doctor, a nurse, a homemaker - whatever she wants to be)

aviatrix444
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aviatrix444 »

We did an open house for the community at my flight college while I was doing my diploma, and I was absolutely shocked by the number of little girls that I talked to that had NO IDEA they could fly. One little girl told me "Well I've never seen a girl pilot in a movie, I thought it was a boy job". Even grown women walked right over to me and expressed shock that I was in a pilot training program.

Tuesday was cheap groceries day for students so after class we'd all drive down and stock up (while still in our uniforms). More than once the cashier would look at all the guys I was with "oh you boys must all be at the flight college!" Then look at me and say "I didn't realize they had a flight attendant school there too!" Seriously. But people just don't know. I'd assume it's the same sort of thing for lady AME's

I agree in equal opportunities, and no special treatment for both genders of course, but I also see no issue with making young women aware of ALL the opportunities available to them.

I will ask around my lower mainland contacts and try to find someone who can help out with your mentoring event.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Oh, sorry. I don't volunteer for things like that. I feel it's gender discrimination: whether we're selectively encouraging people or selectively discouraging people, it's still selective, and that's not right.

I would be happy to work with someone like this who believes in equal pay for equal work and equal respect no more- no less !! Bravo :P AND I still encourage the fairer sex in Aviation !!!

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Girl17 wrote:About how much would a job like that pay? If it's only an hour and a half or so, I'd be happy to do it for about a hundred bucks.

You don't believe in it, but you'd do it for 100 bucks. You're funny. :rolleyes:

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Meecka »

crazyaviator wrote:

I would be happy to work with someone like this who believes in equal pay for equal work and equal respect no more- no less !! Bravo :P AND I still encourage the fairer sex in Aviation !!!
So you're completely ok with the fact that she apparently has a fair amount of disdain for working in aviation?

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

Girl17 wrote:Oh, sorry. I don't volunteer for things like that. I feel it's gender discrimination: whether we're selectively encouraging people or selectively discouraging people, it's still selective, and that's not right.

I'm actually angry reading this.

Get off your high horse. It's called mentoring. I have had mentors over the years and they were always very happy to help and share their experiences. If you expect to be paid, I doubt you're the right person for this anyways.

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Meecka »

aviatrix444 wrote:"I didn't realize they had a flight attendant school there too!" Seriously. But people just don't know. I'd assume it's the same sort of thing for lady AME's

I agree in equal opportunities, and no special treatment for both genders of course, but I also see no issue with making young women aware of ALL the opportunities available to them.
The question I got asked most often when working the static line at airshows was "are you the pilot?". The flight suit had something to do with that, but the shocked faces when I answered "No, I'm the mechanic" I think had more to do with it. Most people never imagine a woman being a maintainer. Many can't imagine why I would want to do it (I've actually been asked that outright). The answer I usually gave was "it's a really cool job. I love what I do." Unless young girls get to see us (pilots/ AME's) they don't know we exist.

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Well, aside from the trolling from one individual, I appreciate the discussion from others - male and female alike! This is a small networking event for young girls at a local school so it's not attracting revenue, just opening eyes to possibilities in a comfortable environment where participants are free to ask any questions away from peer pressures. When I was invited to participate as a mentor, and checked out the other trades on offer, I decided a broader spectrum was needed and offered to bring in some of my contacts. We have a welder, and hopefully we will have a CCG, CF and RCMP representative as well.

So far we don't have a female AME that has stepped forward, so if any of you can reach out within your networks this would be great. I guess if we don't find anyone then that just speaks to the need to keep spreading the word.

Best Regards,
snoopy

Return to “General Comments”