Kelowna Flightcraft moving to YYZ

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Kelowna Flightcraft moving to YYZ

Post by DanJ »

ywg9 wrote:Maybe he didn't lose the contract, now by that I mean maybe he let it go ( bid your lowest and thats it, should you bid to lose money)His costs were getting up there he has had a battle with alpa previously and this is a good way to start with a fresh Labour force at low cost when you bid on the work again in a few years. Also dont forget he sits on the Canada post board, Just a thought. I never worked for him but I to wouldn't bet against BL. He's a smart man and a man that has a lot of contacts in the freight moving world and knows a heck of a lot more about aviation business and freight than anyone here. Even a small piece of the pie is a pretty big pay day and it keeps your planes flying, on that note I don't recall them saying what the fleet was. my 2 cents
Barry sits on the Purolator board, and is a minority owner of Purolator. He isn't on the Canada Post board.
---------- ADS -----------

ramp_rat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ramp_rat »

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

With the right interline prorate agreements in place, he can make life pretty unpleasant for European carriers that top up belly. This actually an easy game to get into. Not all airlines of the world fly to Canada but many fly to Europe and they look for opportunities to either fill their planes or improve yield through interlining. Cargo moves on price, not because it's British Airways. Cargo doesn't care if the plane is blue, red, black or unpainted. BL can tap into a larger network that the European carriers hold.

I spent a number of years looking after interlining at Canadian and foreign airlines. I also oversaw multilateral proration for passenger and cargo, for the industry. This will be fun to watch.

I'd rather see this money go to a Canadian carrier and a foreign flag operator. Sadly, some people on this thread and Avcanada seem to prefer to see airlines vanish in Canada that to see the industry grow. I don't get it.

bmc
BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

any update on how the new transatlantic run is going so far?

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DanJ »

BMLtech wrote:If BL is so bright, then how did he lose the Purolator contract?
If I had to make a guess, I would say that it had to do with the price of oil (and jet fuel) being at an all time high, and perhaps purolator no longer wanted to pay the fuel for a thirsty fleet. BL probably didn't see upgrading to a more efficient fleet as economically viable, given the low utilization.He has said so himself in the past. Now the price of oil has crashed. Interesting how these things play out.
Another thing that I would be willing to bet money on, is that all of those DC10's are paid off by the previous contract, probably with enough left over to get several engines overhauled. The same thing happened when Greyhound shut down in the 90's. KF ended up with a fleet of B727-200 paid for, and promptly whacked cargo doors into them and put them on the Purolator contract...not the first rodeo for BL.
With KF, Purolator paid for the whole plane, and sought other business to top it off. With CJ, Purolator pays for the space it uses, and no longer has ground handling costs on top. They project to save $30million per year on this. Whether it ends up costing CJ, time will tell.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

palebird wrote:
Because there is a market for this.

I agree - on the surface - simply stopping in Anchorage seems kind of odd, I'm sure there's a reason though.......maybe it's what his customer wants. No freight forwarder would use DHL or Purolator.....are you nuts????? It costs $9 to send a letter to Victoria. That's why they use belly space. Now give them a dedicated plane and you'd be surprised how fast you could fill it.

You do make some valid points, and I wouldn't use the 10's more than 2 or 3 years until you got something better - but the pros outweigh the cons in this case.

I mean come on......Do you really think Barry simply closed his eyes, pointed at a map and said "we're flying here - find someone to fill the plane"??? :roll:
Short answer: Yes and no boeingboy there is no market for this.. it is going to be hilarious to watch Barry flounder, not so much for the employee's and I hope that not too many of them get suckered into this venture.
a little update

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/322412661.html

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/14 ... -Aerospace

For the employees, I feel for you.

As for Barry, I'd like to introduce you to Kharma.

She's a bitch.

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

on another note, one of the DC10's has made its final journey to the pop can factory:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/steelhead ... 7423449609

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

Some of the 727 have also recently got the axe. This particular frame was originally a Continental machine and was part of the Greyhound Air fleet around 1995:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/steelhead ... otostream/

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

2 more Boeings have been donated recently, 1 went to a school in London, and the other went to a school out west.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Any update on what flying the fleet does. I see them parked at YYZ but are they all flying each night?

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

The historians (or should I call them wise guys?) tell me the 727's are leaving YYZ soon. Ther DC10's still flying. Where? Just ask the GTA cargo guys.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

The 27s have no planned flying, so I'd bet they will soon leave yyz. The 10 is flying charters and scheduled weekly runs to Brussels.

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

I hear KF bought a new 737 from down under on the tarmac at YLW now - what are the plans for that jet ? Is that going to Flair or KF Aero or?

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

fruitloops wrote:I hear KF bought a new 737 from down under on the tarmac at YLW now - what are the plans for that jet ? Is that going to Flair or KF Aero or?
I haven't heard specifically about the new machine, but I imagine they'll punch a hole in the side of it and lease it to someone else. I haven't heard about anything coming to KF Aero, but I bet it ins't coming here. I have no idea about Flair.

We've put holes in 37s before and leased them so I would guess that's the plan.

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

fruitloops wrote: What do you mean put a hole in it?
Sorry...I mean they'll likely put a cargo door in the side of the aircraft, converting into a freighter or combi machine.

Hopefully that clears it up a little. Like I said though, that's really just my best guess. We've done that before to other 737s so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for this machine.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”