Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dunkafa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

Post by dunkafa »

And would mind to share some infos about it.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

Post by tbaylx »

Yes the representative said there is no age cap for pilots. But they do expect someone who's 40+ to have the relevant experience for that age. eg 7000+ hrs, jet time, PIC galore etc.

Starting pay is about $11,000 a month + $5000 housing allowance + $2000 flying bonus (tax free)

He said guys are flying 95-105 hour months right now because they're short staffed. They're looking for 550 pilot over the next year.

I read last year 40,000 applicants from 227 countries applied. 2000 positions were filled. (this includes all flight crew positions).

Almost all their focus is on F.O's right now however they are hiring direct entry captain for the A330 right now, however the posting is to be deleted in the next week or two.

They used to have an accelerated upgrade program for guys like yourself, however they haven't used that since 2002.

Income is technically tax free however if you have any ties to Canada (i.e wife that stays here, drivers license, home etc. - you can expect to be slapped with a canadian tax payment upon your return).

5 year bond of $41,000USD. 4 year upgrade times for 777. Also was shown a typical schedule for a 777 guy. YIKES. Scary amount of long haul and 4-6 day pairings.Longest is a 9 day pairing. 22 day work months with a rotating seniority of 5 groups (for what ever metal you're on). Once ever 5 months you get top bid within the seniority of your group. 30 reserve days a year, with 30 minute call out time.. otherwise all straight flying. Example of pairing given was Dubai - Bankok - Sydney - Christchurch - Bankok - San Fran - Dubai (Dont remember how many days this was). 30 must take leave days a year, with optional 15 more - those 15 haven't been happening for the guys there lately.

Some other details that I'll omit unless someone has something specific to ask. I have 3000hrs, On a Dornier 328, felt very out experienced and out of my league with the calibre of guys at the meeting. Lots of 737NG left seaters, couple of WJ Mainline cptns, and a few like myself.

Hope this helps everyone. All right from the Emirates meet up today.

Copied from PPRUNE

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

11K for an FO? are you sure?

tbaylx wrote:Yes the representative said there is no age cap for pilots. But they do expect someone who's 40+ to have the relevant experience for that age. eg 7000+ hrs, jet time, PIC galore etc.

Starting pay is about $11,000 a month + $5000 housing allowance + $2000 flying bonus (tax free)

He said guys are flying 95-105 hour months right now because they're short staffed. They're looking for 550 pilot over the next year.

I read last year 40,000 applicants from 227 countries applied. 2000 positions were filled. (this includes all flight crew positions).

Almost all their focus is on F.O's right now however they are hiring direct entry captain for the A330 right now, however the posting is to be deleted in the next week or two.

They used to have an accelerated upgrade program for guys like yourself, however they haven't used that since 2002.

Income is technically tax free however if you have any ties to Canada (i.e wife that stays here, drivers license, home etc. - you can expect to be slapped with a canadian tax payment upon your return).

5 year bond of $41,000USD. 4 year upgrade times for 777. Also was shown a typical schedule for a 777 guy. YIKES. Scary amount of long haul and 4-6 day pairings.Longest is a 9 day pairing. 22 day work months with a rotating seniority of 5 groups (for what ever metal you're on). Once ever 5 months you get top bid within the seniority of your group. 30 reserve days a year, with 30 minute call out time.. otherwise all straight flying. Example of pairing given was Dubai - Bankok - Sydney - Christchurch - Bankok - San Fran - Dubai (Dont remember how many days this was). 30 must take leave days a year, with optional 15 more - those 15 haven't been happening for the guys there lately.

Some other details that I'll omit unless someone has something specific to ask. I have 3000hrs, On a Dornier 328, felt very out experienced and out of my league with the calibre of guys at the meeting. Lots of 737NG left seaters, couple of WJ Mainline cptns, and a few like myself.

Copied from PPRUNE

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

He's quoting the captain pay. Year 1 is about USD11,500 including 85 hours of flying allowance. Year 1 FO is about $8000 including the same. Also the FO housing allowance, if you opt for the cash, is less: About $3500/month I think. The pay is published on the Emirates website.

http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/eng ... efits.aspx

CAL wrote:11K for an FO? are you sure?

tbaylx wrote:Yes the representative said there is no age cap for pilots. But they do expect someone who's 40+ to have the relevant experience for that age. eg 7000+ hrs, jet time, PIC galore etc.

Copied from PPRUNE

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jd832 »

tbaylx wrote:

Copied from PPRUNE
When you say "Lots of 737NG left seaters....", what companies are we talking about. Sunwing? Canjet?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

jd832 wrote:
tbaylx wrote:

Copied from PPRUNE
When you say "Lots of 737NG left seaters....", what companies are we talking about. Sunwing? Canjet?
Since its YYC I would guess you'd be looking at mostly WestJet, Enerjet and Canadian North/Flair if you include classics. Lots of people looking with the downturn in the Alberta economy, hence the YYC roadshow by EK. Wherever you find bankrupt/downsizing airlines you'll shortly find an EK roadshow.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Seeing as the UAE is one of 13 countries that has the death penalty for atheists I don't think I'll be applying

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

av8ts wrote:Seeing as the UAE is one of 13 countries that has the death penalty for atheists I don't think I'll be applying
God bless you for your decision :mrgreen:

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

AirMail wrote:
av8ts wrote:Seeing as the UAE is one of 13 countries that has the death penalty for atheists I don't think I'll be applying
God bless you for your decision :mrgreen:
Yes anybody considering a career with EK May God bless you ! :prayer:
As for the other two I think you will be fine

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

What are their feelings with regards to Pastafarians?

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Mach1 wrote:
What are their feelings with regards to Pastafarians?
Makes as much sense as the other religions

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

tbaylx wrote:

Copied from PPRUNE
There are fewer than 200 countries in this planet, maybe they had some applicants from others?

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

Dockjock wrote:
tbaylx wrote:

Copied from PPRUNE
There are fewer than 200 countries in this planet, maybe they had some applicants from others?
I made my own country once... perhaps others have as well.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”