Need some help.. After the PPL and how to get hours...

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

love2fly14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Need some help.. After the PPL and how to get hours...

Post by love2fly14 »

Hi Guys,
My goal is to get the CPL and then instructor rating.
I have my PPL, and will finish the night rating today.
I only have 21hrs of PIC and my instructor is telling me I need to build up more PIC hrs. He said I will need about 80hrs of pic.
For this part I was thinking of renting block hours on a cessna 172.
My school does offer it @ $120 with fuel and insurance.
Does any one have any advice? should I rent a block hours, is there any other rating I should be working on? Should I use the plane school ?
Also if you know of any contacts in the YUL are for plane rentals etc...
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Need some help.. After the PPL and how to get hours...

Post by lownslow »

Decide what all ratings you want to have as well and try to work them into your commercial training. It's been a while but I think you'll want to get a commercial PTR started ASAP.

Consult the Personnel Locensing and Training section of the CARs and see what your 200TT to get the commercial signed off has to include. You're going to need a certain amount of solo, dual, cross country and instrument time BUT if you add those times together it falls short of 200, which gives some wiggle room on exactly what you do. With planning, you can get your multi engine instrument rating, and maybe even a float rating inside inside your commercial minimums.

Someone here probably has more recent experience planning this than I do and hopefully they'll be along shortly to help.

pilotmtl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilotmtl »

Why are you asking internet strangers instead of talking to your instructor or the Chief Flight Instructor at your school? It is their job to guide you on the right path to achieve your goal in the most efficient and economical way.
Have you read CARs 421.30(4)?
$120 for 172 wet is a really good price. I doubt you can find better than that around here.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

You will need 100 hours of PIC for the CPL. Please read the CARS, sec 421. Familiarity and comfort navigating the regs will give you a head start on CPL and especially the instructor rating. Questions are good but nobody will be holding your hand unless they're trying to take money from it!

Advice for the time building- While you need 100 hrs PIC, 30 of it must be signed out by an instructor as solo time emphasizing flying skills- working on lessons, etc. Must be recorded in your PTR. They'll know that. That leaves you with 50 hours of solo time building. The $120 /hr is killer these days. I'd go for it.

Here is the biggest piece of advice I can give you- DO AS MUCH AS YOU CAN OF THAT TIME AS NIGHT XC'S!!!

You need 100 hrs Night PIC or SIC for the ATPL. 25 of that XC. Might seem worlds away now but you'd be surprised how it can sneak up without doing much night time, especially if your first job is survey, meat bombs, floats especially, and even instructing. The last thing you want to do in a few years is have to spend $3k and rent a 150 for 20 hours of burning gas at night just to get your A's.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

DanWEC wrote: Here is the biggest piece of advice I can give you- DO AS MUCH AS YOU CAN OF THAT TIME AS NIGHT XC'S!!!

You need 100 hrs Night PIC or SIC for the ATPL. 25 of that XC. Might seem worlds away now but you'd be surprised how it can sneak up without doing much night time, especially if your first job is survey, meat bombs, floats especially, and even instructing. The last thing you want to do in a few years is have to spend $3k and rent a 150 for 20 hours of burning gas at night just to get your A's.
^ I concur 100% and so wished that someone had given me that advice 10 years ago!

All the best,
TPC
PS: C-172 @ 120/HR "wet" is a great deal!

love2fly14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by love2fly14 »

Thanks guys for the great advice...
Of course I'm still going to do more research and read the car's. But I also need it some pointers from ppl that have done it before me.
The more information the better.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Hi Love2fly14,

You've got a great opportunity to do some pretty cool and useful trips while building time for you CPL. Any of the following should only be done after consulting with you instructor and ensuring that the weather and your experience is appropriate.

One of the first questions you should ask yourself is what type of flying you want to do for your first job? You can then strategically think about how you'll get some of your hours for your CPL. i.e do you want to fly for any specific operators? Do you want to fly floats?

I strongly agree with the previous poster that you should get as many as your 25 night PIC x-country hours required for your ATPL while working on your CPL - that's a problem I ran into. But again, be very smart with the weather and terrain - flying at night is much more challenging.

Also, if you're looking to save money, try and find friends that can help offset your costs. This topic is somewhat contentious - as a PPL you CANNOT charge your friends to come flying. But, if you were going to go on a flight already and your friends are simply offsetting some of the costs, this is generally allowed.

Have a reason to go flying on every flight - don't just get up there flying to get hours. Make a plan to go somewhere or practice certain weak spots every time you go up. Go over the flight test guide and standards and practice what they'll be asking you, so when it comes to your actual flight test, you've done a diversion or steep turn so many times that it's a non-issue.

Hope this helps!

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

DanWEC wrote:Here is the biggest piece of advice I can give you- DO AS MUCH AS YOU CAN OF THAT TIME AS NIGHT XC'S!!
+1.

Pretty much the single most important aspect of PPL to CPL time building- doing it at night. Get your PIC time then. And, depending on where you live, right now is the perfect time to do the rating and start flying at night. Folks out here in 'Berta have to fly between midnight and 0430 to get night time in the summer so take advantage now.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

my instructor is telling me I need to build up more PIC hrs
Nicely said, I would be happier to think that your instructor would like you to build up suitable experience. Counting hours is only a part of being a good PIC. Diverse experience. When you interview for a pilot job, you may well be considered based upon your [breadth of] experience.

Buy a plane. Find a very modest plane, preferably night capable, though ragwing taildraggers are good too. Fly it all over Canada. Meet people along the way. You will be taken more seriously landing in for an interview in anything you own, and have flown around, than a rented 172. Not that rented 172's are bad, but the modest plane you own is better. Yes, you have gas, maintenance and insurance costs on top of the purchase price, but when you're done, you have the plane to sell - or rent to someone else.

When you own it, you will have to learn to manage it, not just turn the key, and call the mechanic if it won't start. Very good for your experience, and desirability with hiring organizations.

Meet other pilots, hang around the flying club, even when you're not flying that day. Be inspired and mentored into being the experienced, responsible pilot who someone would like to hire....

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I just checked my log book, after having completed my night rating a few months ago. Although I have lots of night time, but it seems very little is XC! Good advice.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

JasonE wrote:I just checked my log book, after having completed my night rating a few months ago. Although I have lots of night time, but it seems very little is XC! Good advice.
Especially in the coming months, it is really easy to get some night XC time in.
I've also found my VFR OTT rating really useful. Several of my XC trips would have been cancelled without it.

mariosabogal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mariosabogal »

Night PIC is the best.

PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropToFeather »

Just remember, while winter's a great time to build Night PIC - helloooooo, 5pm darkness! - you probably want to make sure you're adequately dressed for those "chilly" night trips... and check just exactly how cold your chosen altitudes might get before you go

If at first you don't succeed, maybe NDB approaches just aren't for you
love2fly14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by love2fly14 »

Thanks guys... I did 1hr last night and it was so cold.... I just need to find a good block of hours on a 150.
I'm from YUL, anyone here has done the ville marie tour... I would love to do it, but just a little afraid.

PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropToFeather »

Ville Marie tour (if I'm remembering correctly, that's the one over downtown Montreal, correct?) is a blast. Probably not realistic to do during the day, but it's great fun at night. Just make sure you don't derp and actually call ahead to YUL tower like the CFS expressly says to do. They're pretty chill about it if you give them plenty of advance notice (though, be prepared for a "no", or "maybe, if you show up at X time" answer)

If at first you don't succeed, maybe NDB approaches just aren't for you
rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

Ville Marie circuit, get familiar with entry and exit points, you can only use those to get in or out. Usually done at 2000 asl but you could get higher if TML is not too busy. Call ahead to get a transponder code, we rarely get denied entry into the yul control area. Daytime is totally doable. Call Montreal flight planning at 1-877-YULCODE well in advance or just before the flight, don't select flight planning option as you will get transferred to Quebec FSS. Before entering you will contact yul tower on 119.3 Bonus, you can ask in flight for a left orbit around downtown. Enjoy.

love2fly14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by love2fly14 »

rob-air wrote:Ville Marie circuit, get familiar with entry and exit points, you can only use those to get in or out. Usually done at 2000 asl but you could get higher if TML is not too busy. Call ahead to get a transponder code, we rarely get denied entry into the yul control area. Daytime is totally doable. Call Montreal flight planning at 1-877-YULCODE well in advance or just before the flight, don't select flight planning option as you will get transferred to Quebec FSS. Before entering you will contact yul tower on 119.3 Bonus, you can ask in flight for a left orbit around downtown. Enjoy.

Thanks, can you explain what is the left orbit?

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

360 to the left

AntoineG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AntoineG »

Hi love2fly14!

Depending on your financial ressources you also have the option of buying a plane, not by yourself but with some other students to split the cost. A cessna 150 in airworthy condition out of its annual will be sold between 20 and 25k CAD. If you can find 2 partners, you get a plane, get your hours on it and when everyone has their hours, you sell the plane for about the same price depending on the maintenance that has been done in the meantime and you will end up paying probably less than 50$ an hour including fuel, parking, insurance and maintenance if you fly enough.

davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

The Ville-Marie circuit is a fun and useful way to learn how to enter and deal with controlled airspaces, as well as following ATC instructions and improving situational awareness. Plus it makes for some romantic as hell moments *ahem*.

If you are really lucky and you want to depart the circuit westbound and there is no traffic at Trudeau, ask for a "low and over 24L", the controller will probably laugh and very politely tell you to take your 4 banger the hell out of his airspace, but maybe he'll fire up all the Christmas lights and you can pretend you're an A330 for 10 minutes.

Return to “Flight Training”