Aviation Degree vs. University Degree

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Aviation Degree vs. University Degree

Post by goingnowherefast »

Aviation diplomas are most useful as a networking tool. Sit down at an interview, and the guy across the the table went to the same college. Some of my instructors and class mates are now training captains and chief pilots.

I've gotten more jobs because a class mate or ex-instructor said good things about me me than I have because my resume says "Aviation Diploma". I've also helped several class mates get jobs, and it had nothing to do with their Aviation Diploma.

I recommend picking any aviation college, they're all good. Do your homework, go out for beers, make friends. Who knows, in 5 years, you will be messaging a chief pilot on Facebook asking if they're hiring. Plus, three of their line pilots are old class mates, and would like to have you as a coworker.
---------- ADS -----------

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

The same can be said with just co workers from companies you've worked at. That networking may help you get your first job but after the doors open.

I know lots of guys up in NWT working the ground for years with an aviation diploma, and lots of other guys (myself included) who found flying jobs relatively quick without one.

At the end of the day do what you feel is best. If you really want a diploma, go do night school at a community college at get a biz diploma. Fly with the best local flight school during the days and in the same two years you now have a useful diploma (should flying not work out) and your pilots license.

Get your first flying job, and in the 5 years it will take you to make it to the majors you can do correspondence and make that biz diploma, a degree.

fallex
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fallex »

Back 5 years ago when I was more in tune wth hiring process, I knew that as far as AC was concerned an aviation diploma carried exactly the same weight as a university degree in any field as far as the selection process goes. Today that may have changed but I doubt it. Education is important, however I know many people at AC without any post secondary education despite it being listed as a requirement.

That being said, having an education will score you more points than someone with none, but if your interview does not go well it will not make up the difference. You are graded on an overall scale.

Personally if I were doing things again, I think I would forgo the aviation diploma and pursue a university degree in another field, then follow it up with an accelerated flying program. Today the game has changed and it never hurts to have a fallback option.

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

To answer the original posters question!

Air Canada will credit you with EQUAL points on your interview for either a Degree or Aviation diploma. There is no advantage getting hired with one over the other. A Degree will carry you further in life if you fall out of Aviation as a Career. The main issue is that AC is looking for the fact that you can work to a high workload of learning. A Degree does not mean a better pilot. Many of those at AC have flown entire careers with a High School education.

Many hired from Jazz will not have post secondary education. There is no hard and fast rule.

Regards.

dtpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dtpilot »

Let's not confuse now with 2012. Until guys start getting accepted to ground schools will we know what the off the street hiring requirements are. In 2012 they were taking ATPLs and two feet and a heart beat. Supply and demand. Seems like everyone applying now may have 3-4-5000 hours so competition might be stronger. Maybe degrees will be required. We shall wait and see!

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

With the way things are moving these days I wouldn't be surprised that in 5-10 years time it won't matter at all if you have a diploma or not.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

Having a university degree / diploma Is always a good thing but at the same time with the way the industry is currently 3-4 years education = 2000-3000hrs flight time. Depending on how you spend your time as long as you add value to it. In my opinion nothing can replace hands on flight experience and airline today do value ones experience. However if one has the $$$funds ( caz I couldn't afford it when I was Training) and time then sure go right ahead.

All the best to all.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

pigboat wrote:The main issue is that AC is looking for the fact that you can work to a high workload of learning.
I think several type ratings along with favorable PPC records and no fails indicate that you can handle a high workload of learning. An initial course in the 705 environment isn't exactly roses and daisies. Hence why they list jet experience in the same column as degree/diploma.

I attended a seminar a while back where an AC checker was talking about what AC is looking for in terms of the ideal candidate. Stability, Integrity, and Ability to Learn.

Some things he mentioned that define stability include:

Married with kids (as this usually brings individuals that are less likely to jump ship than single individuals), haven't jumped from job to job to job in the past, have spent a fair amount of time at each place of employment.

Integrity: Shows up in the evaluations you do. They are designed to spit out the liars and the ones trying to hide things. So if you like roses, then say you do.

Ability to learn: Degree, Diploma, Type Ratings, Instructor experience, and the likes.

I'd be willing to bet that someone with a Degree would be seen in the same light as someone with a 705 type rating. It indicates the exact same thing.

This was back in 2013 - things can always change. Best of luck to everyone waiting to get on as OTS hires.

Return to “Air Canada”